PDA

View Full Version : New Dock doesn't show open applications?

saleemyas3
Jul 27, 2012, 02:52 PM
When i open up new apps that aren't in my dock, they don't show up in my dock while running. Is there a way to change this?

chrisherbert
Jul 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
When i open up new apps that aren't in my dock, they don't show up in my dock while running. Is there a way to change this?

That doesn't sound right. What apps aren't showing?

saleemyas3
Jul 27, 2012, 02:54 PM
That doesn't sound right. What apps aren't showing?

Any applications that I have installed but not on the dock won't show up when running. example: I don't have safari in my dock, but if i open it, it runs but it doesn't show up on my dock while running.

Jisuo
Jul 27, 2012, 02:58 PM
Look at the "edge" at the bottom of the Dock, you should see a white square there indicating the open application.

saleemyas3
Jul 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
Look at the "edge" at the bottom of the Dock, you should see a white square there indicating the open application.

I know that. Im talking about when i open an application that I dont have in the dock. In lion, when I would open an App that i don't have stored on the Dock, the app's icon would show up in the dock and then when i quit the app, it would dissappear

Icy1007
Jul 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
Restart the Dock/Mac.

chrisherbert
Jul 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
Have you tried restarting or running "killall Dock" in terminal? That's not how the dock is supposed to behave.

kockgunner
Jul 28, 2012, 10:54 PM
This happened to me. I just switched back from Bootcamp FWIW. The app doesn't show up in the alt-tab switcher either. For the icons that are already in my dock, when I click them, the app opens but the indicator light doesn't turn on.

[edit] Fixed after restart

yogurtu
Jul 30, 2012, 07:05 AM
Hi,
Same thing happened to me.
As I have an UPS, I rarely shutdown or reboot my iMac.
As chrisherbert suggested, I tried 'killall Dock' in terminal. That fixed it!
So, thanks chrisherbert!

Cheers!

varsis
Sep 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
Anyone still having this issue? Restart or terminal command helps, but it happens usually after closing the macbook pro twice.

heisenberg123
Sep 11, 2012, 12:19 PM
not currently on my mac but is there something in Dock Preferences to show running applications in the dock?

varsis
Sep 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
not currently on my mac but is there something in Dock Preferences to show running applications in the dock?

My Applications show until I close my macbook pro retina 10.8.1 about 2-3 times than they stop showing up in the dock, either the whatever was open looks like it is still open (Freezes up but I can still click the icons), No new ones will show annoying when I open something that isn't in the dock since I can't easily access the item than if I hide it. If I go killall Dock it fixes it, and or Restart but it's usually temporary. 2-3 times a day I have to "Fix" it. I will see if I can do a video but either way they stop bouncing and showing all together.

Sylon
Sep 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
I just had this issue a few minutes ago for the first time. I have 4 apps open, Mail, Tweetbot, Messages and Chrome, and all the lights underneath disappeared. Normally I can see them, but I noticed that they vanished.

Using Terminal, typing "killall Dock" fixes the issue.

Drew017
Sep 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
try deleting the com.apple.dock.plist file. (located in Users/your username/library/preferences) This will reset all of your dock settings and may fix your problem

varsis
Sep 24, 2012, 07:27 PM
think the latest updates efi and 10.8.2 fixed this for me. I don't know which because I did both at the same time.

Khechog
Jun 13, 2013, 09:02 AM
I had this issue and it turned out that the vertical positioning on my second monitor wasn't right - the indicator lights were off screen! Doh!