Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liquid.kotus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Whenever I try to drag an icon and move it within dock icon drags around with cursor but does not relocate. Same happens with any files in folders, desktop etc. Icons just drag around and I can't seem to release them at all. I've tried to adjust settings in Accessibility but nothing seems to work. Not sure if I should re-install OS X 10.8 or maybe there are some system preferences I can adjust.

Did anyone experience the same issue?

Last edited:

liquid.kotus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012

tomasmartinez

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
You are not alone

Thanks, I found the same temp fix but it's not ideal since putting Mac to sleep and then waking up sometimes disrupts the process. I was hoping Apple would fix this known sticky mouse bug in the new release

As you said, at first it was a temp fix. Later I tried method number 3, and I found an AirParrot extension in "System/Library/Extensions", once removed and the MBP restarted, the problem was solved for good.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Whenever I try to drag an icon and move it within dock icon drags around with cursor but does not relocate. Same happens with any files in folders, desktop etc. Icons just drag around and I can't seem to release them at all.
If you use a wireless mouse and an USB extension cable for the receiver (for better reception), check the extension cable. I used an extension cable (defective) which caused similar problems. I thought it was a battery problem within the wireless mouse. I replaced the short extension cable, and the drag & drop problems disappeared.

liquid.kotus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
As you said, at first it was a temp fix. Later I tried method number 3, and I found an AirParrot extension in "System/Library/Extensions", once removed and the MBP restarted, the problem was solved for good.

Don't have AirParrot or anything else mentioned in the solution above, still battling the issue... :mad:

----------

If you use a wireless mouse and an USB extension cable for the receiver (for better reception), check the extension cable. I used an extension cable (defective) which caused similar problems. I thought it was a battery problem within the wireless mouse. I replaced the short extension cable, and the drag & drop problems disappeared.

I'm using Wacom Intous 3 tablet. Don't have problems on Snow Leopard, Lion... Problems started when I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.