PDA

View Full Version : Grey lock screen when trying to do clean install

E3BK
Jul 27, 2012, 06:33 PM
So I created a bootable USB of mountain lion so I could do a clean install. I did the same thing for lion and had no problems.

When I boot while holding down the option key, I get a grey lock screen that just has a space for a password. My admin password isn't working. I've tried others but no go.

I thought there might be something wrong with the USB so I tried booting in recovery mode with command+R. Same thing.

Does anyone know what this is? Sorry if its a stupid question. :(

dandypro
Jul 28, 2012, 04:24 PM
So I created a bootable USB of mountain lion so I could do a clean install. I did the same thing for lion and had no problems.

When I boot while holding down the option key, I get a grey lock screen that just has a space for a password. My admin password isn't working. I've tried others but no go.

I thought there might be something wrong with the USB so I tried booting in recovery mode with command+R. Same thing.

Does anyone know what this is? Sorry if its a stupid question. :(

You are not stupid.

I found it.

You'll need to reset the password XXXXX startup from any disc.

To reset it, you'll need to remove one of your RAM chips from the computer, and reset the PRAM (hold down the p+r+option+command keys for 3 full restarts, then release). After that, you should be able to startup from the disc by holding down the C key, and put the RAM chip back in.

Read more: my macbook pro has a admin lock on it, i dont remember the - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/39jyl-macbook-pro-admin-lock-it-don-t-remember.html#ixzz21xCHEkPe

ptcrjosh
Jan 22, 2013, 05:07 PM
I've been beatin' my self over the head over this for the last two days trying to get past this Lock with password thing. Your suggestion worked like a charm. I couldn't boot from a CD or the hard drive and I've been getting that stupid question mark in the folder. I tried every boot option there is. Including the PRAM reset(holding down option, command and "P" and "R". Removing the RAM card was the key. Now this laptop recognizes the installed hard drive as well the optical drive. Dude, this was the answer I've been looking for. Like I said you're a frickin' genius. Thanks for your post!:cool:;)