PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion Frustrations?!

Apple...
Jul 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
Do you have any? I'm still using Snow Leopard...debating wether or not to upgrade. I still have Microsoft Office 2003, so I'd have to replace that somehow. And iMovie 06' should still work right? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks!

VacantPsalm
Jul 27, 2012, 08:19 PM
Mission Control is choppy as HELL when Safari is open. If I hide it with Cmd+H it'll be smooth as butter. Then when I unhide it, super lag-a-muffin. Like the desktop background is all the way back before the windows even move sometimes. I'm on a Retina MBP, Lion didn't do this.

I'm here now checking if there's a thread about it.

NotAdvisable
Jul 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
Do you have any? I'm still using Snow Leopard...debating wether or not to upgrade. I still have Microsoft Office 2003, so I'd have to replace that somehow. And iMovie 06' should still work right? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks!

I'm absolutely loving Mountain Lion.
I reckon you should move to the latest Office for Mac (or iWork; far better than Microsoft's offering) and also move to the latest iLife. What's stopping you?

tillsbury
Jul 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Well make sure you have a good backup. Installation of ML here (on rMBP, so using current Lion) just trashed the machine completely, "there was an error installing OSX". Recovery utilities couldn't repair the disk, reformat and start again job. Bagh...

JS82712
Jul 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
Mission Control is choppy as HELL when Safari is open. If I hide it with Cmd+H it'll be smooth as butter. Then when I unhide it, super lag-a-muffin. Like the desktop background is all the way back before the windows even move sometimes. I'm on a Retina MBP, Lion didn't do this.

I have a 2010 iMac running a clean-installed ML, and I can confirm that this is an issue. Mission control just lags like crazy when safari is used in full-screen mode. :mad:

Apple...
Jul 27, 2012, 09:17 PM
Well make sure you have a good backup. Installation of ML here (on rMBP, so using current Lion) just trashed the machine completely, "there was an error installing OSX". Recovery utilities couldn't repair the disk, reformat and start again job. Bagh...
Yikes! That's not good. How do I go about installing the right way? I have over a TB of data.

DWS1187
Jul 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
I have a clean install of ML and some of the things that frustrate me are

1. Open mail, indicator light on, close window, indicator light off, app is running under Force Quit....is it on or off???

2. No Safari Only mode anymore? Just a guest account. Disabled the guest account and enabled FMM and it just re-enables the guest account.

Other than that I am rather happy with the new OS X 

kn1ne
Jul 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
So far I am very happy with Mountain Lion.. had a minor hiccup getting it to download, but that was probably more to do with launch day glitches. Since its been installed I have noticed a lot of things that were introduced in Lion run much more smoothly than they ever did before, such as Mission Control, Launchpad etc..

Notifications are really cool, and reminders and notes being their own apps now is really cool. My favorite feature by far though is how documents now sync across mac and iOS devices.. for me this is a huge benefit that I am already using with Numbers and Pages, and is making my life much easier.

I haven't had TOO much time with it yet, but so far it hasn't broken any of my 3rd party apps. Air Video, Screens, Mint, Coda, etc. are all working with no hang ups. I think it was well worth the $20 going from Lion, so its a huge update if you are going from Snow Leopard.

b_scott
Jul 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
I have an April 2010 MBP High Res

ML has dropped my battery life so low that I don't know if I'll be able to keep it. It's pretty ridiculous. I've used it about 1.5 hours and it's at 41% - and all I've done is web browse.

VacantPsalm
Jul 27, 2012, 09:40 PM
I have a 2010 iMac running a clean-installed ML, and I can confirm that this is an issue. Mission control just lags like crazy when safari is used in full-screen mode. :mad:Thing to note, it seems to have gotten a lot better now that I've closed a few tabs. I had like 14 tabs open between 4 windows before, dropping that to 8 between two windows helped quite a bit. Or maybe it's the number of windows open, (probably both) playing around with things now.

Whatever the issue is, closing windows and tabs is just a temporary solution. I can get well into 30 tabs depending on what I'm doing. (Collecting wallpapers = middleclick, middleclick, middleclick, middleclick on thumbnails and look through them later.)

Edit: Ohhh yea, 10 windows open is definitely worse then having 10 tabs in one window. That's like a 3 frame animation there.

slrandall
Jul 27, 2012, 09:43 PM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1413062

Noticed it as soon as I upgraded. It's awful.

Apple...
Jul 27, 2012, 09:46 PM

Noticed it as soon as I upgraded. It's awful.
Sounds like this a RMBP issue only?

JS82712
Jul 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
Thing to note, it seems to have gotten a lot better now that I've closed a few tabs. I had like 14 tabs open between 4 windows before, dropping that to 8 between two windows helped quite a bit. Or maybe it's the number of windows open, (probably both) playing around with things now.

Whatever the issue is, closing windows and tabs is just a temporary solution. I can get well into 30 tabs depending on what I'm doing. (Collecting wallpapers = middleclick, middleclick, middleclick, middleclick on thumbnails and look through them later.)

Indeed, reducing the number of tabs does seem to improve the whole mission control animation; though for a computer that runs SCII nicely, I find it ridiculous that it's having trouble with a simple system animation. :rolleyes:

VacantPsalm
Jul 27, 2012, 09:49 PM

Noticed it as soon as I upgraded. It's awful.Cool, hopping over there now.

teamrusnac
Jul 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
personally, i cant get iMessages on my phone to work with Messages app. I have seen a lot of other people have this issue. If you are using one apple id for your itunes and a @me.com address for your iCloud, it seems to be causing a lot of the issues.

The only way I can get my stuff to sync is to have the person I am messaging enter my icloud account email address in my contact in their iPhone, erase all current conversations we are having on all devices involved, and then initiate a new conversation from the Message app on my mac and bam every thing is on all devices. This is the only way it will work. I have spent hours on the phone wil Apple Care and they couldnt figure this out and how to actually get it to work properly, like advertised. Obviously, this crap isnt ready and it doesnt "just work". Really disappointed.

If I send a message from my phone first with a NEW conversation, it comes from my phone number. The conversation DOES NOT SYNC with the MAC!

I even tried to do this and then continue the conversation on the MAC and it wouldn't even send the message!

Now if I send a message first on a NEW conversation via my MAC it WILL show up on the phone with the settings described above and sync to BOTH devices. Works great. Problem is it's VIA MY EMAIL! Many people do not want this to happen!!!

GenesisST
Jul 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
For me, I had no built-in audio until I rebooted. After that, no issues (yet!), but I don't see much difference so far.

I also had to reinstall the Xcode "command line tools", I was searching for GIT of a long time, I couldn't pull code that was committed during my vacation to see if the old "take 1 week of vacation and come back to twice the work" would hold true...

tillsbury
Jul 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
Yikes! That's not good. How do I go about installing the right way? I have over a TB of data.

Don't know. Make sure Time Machine is up to date (I ran it again just before clicking on install, have far too much data that cannot possibly go awol). Took 35 minutes to restore 500Gb from the time machine backup so at least that's one plus point. Will do another before trying again...

ixodes
Jul 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
Mountain Lion is wonderful... on someone else's Mac :)

I've got my rocket ship fast, ultra smooth & reliable 512GB Samsung 830 equipped MBP's loaded with memory & Snow Leopard v 10.6.8

There's no way I would disrupt this terrific setup :D

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, is newer is not always better.

I'll let someone else live with the bugs & annoyances of Mountain Lion.

Once fully optimized like these 2010 & 2011 i7's are, it's time to sit back & enjoy.

There's _nothing_ better than a well sorted Mac.

Ualnosaj
Jul 27, 2012, 10:57 PM

Hmm I'm not seeing this with a 2012 i7 MBA (proc perhaps) but do feel it slightly with a mid-2011 i5 MBA though. Wouldn't describe it as lag-a-muffin, but I (we) did come from Lion so maybe already used to mission control quirkiness.

M87
Jul 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
No significant problems here so far. Dictation works great, AirPlay mirroring works great, all of my apps work just fine. Overall very happy!

I'm on a rMBP too and have no such problem with Safari and Mission Control.

espiritujo
Jul 27, 2012, 11:24 PM
I wish the screen resolution would show up on my menu bar. Where did it go?

VacantPsalm
Jul 27, 2012, 11:24 PM
I'm on a rMBP too and have no such problem with Safari and Mission Control.How many Safari windows do you have open?

GodWhomIsMike
Jul 28, 2012, 12:20 AM
Airplay. Why the hell is there a 1-2 second audio delay. And the audio cuts out too for a second here and there. I have the latest mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro, and the latest AppleTV. So annoying.

blatopilot
Jul 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
I had a choppy first day with ML...I installed via the app store and had the same feelings I had when I first installed Lion...I reinstalled with CMD+R as an experiment and it is much much better now...Can't say that will be forever, but the performance is night and day different.

ivnj
Jul 28, 2012, 12:40 AM
Biggest frustration is installation. -1:48 minutes.

chrisherbert
Jul 28, 2012, 12:49 AM
Airplay. Why the hell is there a 1-2 second audio delay. And the audio cuts out too for a second here and there. I have the latest mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro, and the latest AppleTV. So annoying.

The issue is the quality of your network, not the speed of your Mac. If possible, have at least one of the devices (Mac or Apple TV) plugged into ethernet rather than wifi.

Unfortunately most people's wireless networks aren't in great shape, and airplay is probably the most demanding application imaginable for wifi. Unlike prerecorded video, they obviously can't use buffering to mask problems.

CoreForce
Jul 28, 2012, 12:51 AM

Here too. Seems like it's shooting badly into the partition. The disk is 100% fine.
iMac 27" duo 2

hNicolas
Jul 28, 2012, 02:20 AM
personally, i cant get iMessages on my phone to work with Messages app. I have seen a lot of other people have this issue. If you are using one apple id for your itunes and a @me.com address for your iCloud, it seems to be causing a lot of the issues.

The only way I can get my stuff to sync is to have the person I am messaging enter my icloud account email address in my contact in their iPhone, erase all current conversations we are having on all devices involved, and then initiate a new conversation from the Message app on my mac and bam every thing is on all devices. This is the only way it will work. I have spent hours on the phone wil Apple Care and they couldnt figure this out and how to actually get it to work properly, like advertised. Obviously, this crap isnt ready and it doesnt "just work". Really disappointed.

If I send a message from my phone first with a NEW conversation, it comes from my phone number. The conversation DOES NOT SYNC with the MAC!

I even tried to do this and then continue the conversation on the MAC and it wouldn't even send the message!

Now if I send a message first on a NEW conversation via my MAC it WILL show up on the phone with the settings described above and sync to BOTH devices. Works great. Problem is it's VIA MY EMAIL! Many people do not want this to happen!!!

It took me a few different tries to figure it out, but here is what I did and all my accounts and devices (2 iCloud email accounts and 1 phone number between iPad, iPhone, and iMac) syncing messages perfectly.

With all devices on, I used my iPhone to re enter and re log-in each iCloud account in settings > messages. With each entry, I got a confirmation window on my iPhone telling me that the changes are taking place on my iPad and on my iMac. All devices are receiving and sending messages to each other and from others, using both email accounts and my phone number.

Hope this helps you, and by the way, I am also using iOS 6 on my iPhone and iPad. That may have something to do with functionality as well.

DKZ
Jul 28, 2012, 03:20 AM
My biggest issue is daily lockups due to what I have come to believe is a GPU hardware acceleration issue. At first flash causing the problems, but it happens with quicktime and Click2Flash as well. Which leads me to hardware acceleration.

Otherwise I'm fairly impressed.

JediSkipdogg
Jul 28, 2012, 03:50 AM
So far I like it however I wish they would have left the time as a display for the battery on the Macbook Pro. You can only have percentage now which is useless to me. I know I can click on the battery to see it, but why can't I just normally display it?

I've had none of the problems mentioned with regards to sluggish Mission Control and Safari. Mid 2012 MacBook Pro here.

quasinormal
Jul 28, 2012, 03:55 AM
I'm frustrated in general because I'm stuck on a 3G connection for which I pay about $15 a gig, so no Mountain Lion, no movie store rentals- just lousy browsing or the odd book.

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 28, 2012, 04:38 AM
For the second tome after awaking from sleep, mission control dose not work! Nor can I move from space to space I have to restart!

Elven
Jul 28, 2012, 04:51 AM
i7 2011 iMac, and no problems with upgrade from Lion, running smooth as silk and quite happy with it, installation was prolonged I felt but this is the first iteration of ML.

:apple:

Apple...
Jul 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Guess I'll wait until an update comes out to fix some of these problems. Thanks for posting everyone! :)

Predator69
Jul 28, 2012, 10:46 AM
Some basic functions like the battery meter now showing the time left by default anymore .

Richard Peters
Jul 28, 2012, 10:48 AM
So far I like it however I wish they would have left the time as a display for the battery on the Macbook Pro. You can only have percentage now which is useless to me. I know I can click on the battery to see it, but why can't I just normally display it?

This bugged me as soon as ML booted up :(

Gryz
Jul 28, 2012, 10:53 AM
Zero issues here with a clean install. No choppiness, lag, and my wake up time is way faster than with lion.

Notification works fine, except iMessage isn't fully integrated yet with iOS.

Happy camper here. Was expecting issues as I have read, but must have been one of the lucky ones...which is rare.

bushido
Jul 28, 2012, 10:53 AM
i have a mid2009 mbp upgraded with an ssd and 8gb ram and ML is FLAWLESS, its so fast and quick and no problems at all. in fact my mac seems to run smoother than my sisters new vaio even though my mac is 4 years old

aliensporebomb
Jul 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
The only downside is a certain Japanese musical instrument hardware manufacturer whose name rhymes with "Poland" who don't have drivers for a number of their hardware products despite developer releases of Mountain Lion being available to perform tests for some time.

So, I might have to wait 3-6 months for drivers for equipment I use regularly.

Luckily, I have a Lion install on a Firewire 800 drive just for these occasions where audio drivers haven't been written for things and I do have a workaround if I don't want to reboot (another audio interface that does appear to have drivers).

The other thing that is a bit unusual: I have a powered USB hub that doesn't appear to be detected by mountain lion and none of the USB devices are detected either although another exact duplicate of this device is being detected. Might be a problem with the usb hub.

Nick412
Jul 28, 2012, 11:09 AM

I don't know why ur experiencing lag it is fine for me.

bbfc
Jul 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have installed ML on a base model 13" Early-2011 MBP and it's really smooth. Upgraded from Lion but considering doing a clean install.

sine-nomine
Jul 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mountain Lion took a long time to install. I had negative time remaining at one point with the progress bar full, then it jumped back to being half full and showed I had 19 minutes left...for about half an hour. Total install time was nearly three hours. Of course now that it's all installed, it doesn't matter, but I was worried for awhile.

Safari 6 slows to an absolute, constantly-beachballing crawl if I have around 20 tabs open. Responding to a right click in a web page, or responding to a Command-W or x-ing out a tab may take as long as 10 minutes. Not even close to kidding. I pressed the 'x' on a tab, got up, washed a few dishes, made some tea, sat back down, had a few sips, and then finally the tab closed. During this time (and when this happens in general), the cursor became a beachball when moved into web content, and while I could switch tabs, I couldn't interact with any page in any tab in any way. Right-clicking the Safari icon in the Dock didn't give me the option to Force Quit, so ML must have thought everything was just fine. Command-Q does quit Safari immediately when it behaves this way.

Also have problems with Safari using massive amounts of CPU somewhat randomly. With a few tabs open with pages from this forum, CPU utilization will sometimes suddenly shoot up to 160-200% and sit there until I close most tabs. Any presence of Flash on a page whatsoever will immediately bury the CPU at 200% and keep it there, rendering the whole machine sluggish and murderously hot. Safari 6 under Lion didn't seem to do this, though I only used it for a few hours, so who knows.

Two-finger swipe from the right edge to bring out Notifications frequently doesn't register. I have to be super careful. It's really not that troublesome, but I hope Apple tweaks it a little in future point releases.

So other than one very temporary annoyance during installation and a mildly annoying gesture issue, the only real problem is Safari 6. Overall, though, ML runs ever so much better than Lion. With Lion, I routinely had strange glitches and various issues that really grated. There wasn't a time when I used my machine that I didn't wish I was back on Snow Leopard (whose install disc I wasn't able to find or I'd have gone back fast). So far with ML, I'm really, really pleased. I haven't once had the urge to dive into my storage shed to locate my Snow Leopard disc. I'd call that an improvement.

concernedone
Jul 28, 2012, 03:15 PM
I'm having many problems with ML personally:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1413572

I normally wait until I updated to a new OS. This time I updated ASAP b/c i hated lion but look ML crashed my whole system! :(

so people please install with caution. read these threads--you'll see the truth-- many people are having different issues/buggy problems. IMHO, this is the vista and the beta not a final polished release. I am not a developer/ I am a consumer, I don't like reporting bugs like I am a developer.

OllyW
Jul 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
Mountain Lion is running smoothly on my iMac so no complaints there.

What's bugging me is the Snooze duration for notification alerts. In previous versions of OS X alarms & reminders had the option to repeat it in 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, a day or a week but now all you get is a pretty useless 10 minute or so Snooze.

Is there an obvious (or not so obvious) setting somewhere to give different Snooze options?

teamrusnac
Jul 30, 2012, 02:58 PM
iOS6 is supposed to fix this issue so no wonder its working for you. I cant even get the apple geniuses to figure it out. Once apple IDS and phone numbers are unified like they are in iOS6 then it might work. This feature was release prematurely

It took me a few different tries to figure it out, but here is what I did and all my accounts and devices (2 iCloud email accounts and 1 phone number between iPad, iPhone, and iMac) syncing messages perfectly.

With all devices on, I used my iPhone to re enter and re log-in each iCloud account in settings > messages. With each entry, I got a confirmation window on my iPhone telling me that the changes are taking place on my iPad and on my iMac. All devices are receiving and sending messages to each other and from others, using both email accounts and my phone number.

Hope this helps you, and by the way, I am also using iOS 6 on my iPhone and iPad. That may have something to do with functionality as well.

vladster
Jul 30, 2012, 04:28 PM
Deep Sleep (Hibernation to HDD) is not working in ML (hangs on restore). Same laptop (MBP '12) had this function working under Lion. I understand this is not a standard feature, but I used it at all my laptops and really enjoyed.

Overall I didn't find ML much different that Lion. If I knew this in advance, I'd probably waited longer before the upgrade.

I liked feedback on ML being faster and more efficient than L, but personally don't feel tangible difference.... Safari 6 is available for Lion as an upgrade. Most of other new features I do not recognize as OS features. Those are just applications that one should be able to download and use.

blueroom
Jul 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Doesn't boot on my OCZ Octane S2 (not compatible). Boots on my ancient Vertex 2 though.

Lanarae
Aug 1, 2012, 12:23 PM
I like Mountain Lion, but the only problem I have are hot corners. Sometime it doesn't work for mission control. I have no problem with notification center or screensaver.

AuPhalanx
Aug 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
Overall, Mountain Lion has been good for me. The BIGGEST frustration I have is with Mail. They changed how the reply-from address is used, which is a pretty big deal for me. I posted about it here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1414206

Otherwise, I'm liking ML. It's odd for me to hop into a point-oh release, but I was feeling jumpy, so I did. I'm not too terribly disappointed. I just hope that they fix Mail.

T.

ramram55
Aug 1, 2012, 01:58 PM
my problem is with hdmi cable to tv, I am able to watch the exact mirror on tv with Lion, but not with ML.

Illuminated
Aug 1, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have a 2010 11" macbook air and the battery is dropping like a fly. It says only 3 hours. It's supposed to have 5 hours.

Battery life is horrendous.

ijha
Aug 1, 2012, 02:10 PM
minor issues:

a. Mail.app opens automatically when ML starts. I guess Mail app doesn't shut down properly even though I closed the app completely?

b. Notification center for Sparrow doesn't work.

c. Skydrive...just helpless with this app.

Idgit
Aug 1, 2012, 02:37 PM
Frustrations? Oh yeah, I got one. A huge wifi bug that renders Time Machine and Airplay unusable on older MacBook Pros (only 2007 models confirmed so far).

Read all about it here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4154491?start=0&tstart=0

Basically, when trying to use Airplay or Time Machine over wifi on these older Macs, the transmission rate drops down to nearly nothing, causing the Airplay stream or TM backup to fail. Stopping TM or Airplay causes the wifi speeds to return to normal. Strangely, this bug doesn't not affect file sharing.

thasan
Aug 1, 2012, 09:25 PM

1. Safari still doesn't have a middle click tab close like chrome or no tabs at the very top..:(
2. Browser based dictionary is now single three finger tap..meaning every time I did 'middle click', it also opens the link and shows depiction at the same time. Couldn't find solution, moved it to four finger click which is not ideal.
3. Unlike others, don't see any noticeable change in speed
4. I'm using office 2011 and everything is fine. Multiple monitors somehow started mirroring when using PowerPoint. But I guess it was just a glitch cause since then, everything is running smoothly.

WilliamDu
Aug 1, 2012, 10:16 PM
Since my first LittleMac 128K in 1984, I have learned that as pertains to many other products, holding off for the forum gripes to die down after a few weeks or months, depending on ones patience, pays off in lower blood pressure transients.

Apple, like many other hard and software vendors benefits from the extensive bug identification provided by we customers on their initial introductions.

Quality control of both hard and software is very labor intensive and therefor expensive.

The service provided by the millions of eager first day/week users in finding bugs which Apple's own limited QC organization failed to find before product introduction saves them millions since all they need to do is monitor these forums to find bugs and fix them. They could never afford to staff up to match what we provide them for free.

Moral - hang on a while until you see the gripes slow down as Apple fixes the bugs we find for them. It usually takes them a couple of months to reach a really stable product.

I'll be back in late October to buy a nice new 2012 iMac, shaken down after a September release with a
free Mountain Lion version improved by four months of your expert troubleshooting.

Thanks for your service!

fteter
Aug 1, 2012, 11:17 PM
ML has been a great trip for me so far.

Upgraded from Lion this morning (2010 white MB and early 2008 iMac) and have been testing all day. Better memory management, CPUs not working nearly as hard, internal temps down. Office 2008 and iWork '09 both working fine (yeah, I have to run both), as is Adobe CS4 Photoshop, Bridge and Distiller. My old HP Officejet printer/scanner is working fine with ML too.

Not a Safari user...using the latest version of Firefox. No performance issues with Mission Launch and Firefox, even with multiple tabs open. No issues with WiFi. Apps and OS both seem pretty stable. Internal temps seem to bob between 48 and 51 degrees on the iMac...warmer than Lion, but still not too bad. Amazingly, the MacBook is running a few degrees cooler than the iMac; never thought I'd see that!

Notifications seems pretty limited at this point but, fortunately, Growl is filling the gap just fine.

I did have to upgrade Dropbox, Onyx and VMware Fusion (the latter of which cost more than the ML upgrade itself!). Also had to modify security settings to allow Onyx to run.

Overall system speed seems much better with ML, especially after cleaning caches and maintaining permissions with Onyx. I've been pushing both boxes very hard all day, but have encountered no issues - only improvements. Like I said, it's been a great trip so far.

limo79
Aug 2, 2012, 04:35 AM
ML was released too quickly - is still underdeveloped. It required solid in-depth tuning (combo update). I do not recommend upgrade now - wait for stable version with no significant performance issues. Also if you use a tons of equipment and software it generates problems (few days ago I read about a guy who made an upgrade and cried that Numark stuff did not work at all).

mentaluproar
Aug 2, 2012, 04:51 AM
Safari is faster and smoother, as is mission control and launchpad. Airplay mirroring lags a bit, but I can still play xenogears with it :D.

I loathe the new dock, though. Is there any way to revert to the old style dock? There is no way this dock would have received the thumbs up from Steve.

limo79
Aug 2, 2012, 06:05 AM
I agree Safari 6 loads webpages faster, but constantly freezes webpage loading process. Very often stops and you can not refresh it. If you open many tabs after some time Safari load all pages again automatically (you loose all data). I believe this occurs due to insufficient amount of RAM memory. Safari 5 also had this problem, but you can surf much longer. You do not have such problems in Firefox.

To conclude: yes, there is a positive wind of change, but current version of ML is far from I call "good final product". This is still Beta for me and the only reason for ML release is to satisfy mostly MBP Retina customers. I do not recommend current version it for people who use Macs at work. I did not have such problems like animations lags or poor video decoding in the first final release of OS X 10.7.0 - this is disturbing. Of course we talk about fresh installation incl. PRAM, SMC reset etc.

smellalot
Aug 2, 2012, 06:50 AM
The little hand which you could use to drag around a PDF page in Preview is gone. I'm really annoyed by that.
Also Mail becomes unresponsive and I need to force quit it every time I wake the Mac from sleep.
It's so annoying I'm thinking about switching back to Windows.

danb77
Aug 2, 2012, 07:37 AM
1. Safari still doesn't have a middle click tab close like chrome or no tabs at the very top..:(
2. Browser based dictionary is now single three finger tap..meaning every time I did 'middle click', it also opens the link and shows depiction at the same time. Couldn't find solution, moved it to four finger click which is not ideal.
3. Unlike others, don't see any noticeable change in speed
4. I'm using office 2011 and everything is fine. Multiple monitors somehow started mirroring when using PowerPoint. But I guess it was just a glitch cause since then, everything is running smoothly.

You want Middle-click support on a Mac?! Go complain to Steve Jobs in 1984.

SpyderBite
Aug 2, 2012, 07:40 AM
With the exception of the uptodate issues at release, I haven't had any issues with ML. Smooth as silk on my system.

thasan
Aug 2, 2012, 07:43 AM
You want Middle-click support on a Mac?! Go complain to Steve Jobs in 1984.

lol...not that. but u see..in chrome, i use three finger tap to
1. open a link in a new tab
2. close a tab but tapping anywhere on the tab part (on top)

using three finger tap for two things makes browsing very comfortable.

safari can of course open new link with three finger tap. but when it comes to closing tab, either i use a ctrl+w equivalent, or just go and find the tiny little cross on each tab.
i am a new user (migrated in november) and happily got used to trackpad (courtesy of BTT!) but i really want to move to safari from chrome but this little thing annoys me a bit. in fact, i made safari my default today morning but gave up just a few minute ago :(

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 2, 2012, 08:14 AM
Nothing to report here. Everything was smooth with my 2011 MBA.

GerritV
Aug 2, 2012, 12:08 PM
I don't know if it's bad practice, but I almost never used to shut down my MBP. Since ML I need to restart my MBP at least once in a working day, because apps like Calendar, Reminders, Mail... simply hang (beachball) or take forever to respond to a click.
While the restart mostly solves the problem, it feels so damn peecee LOL
Also, I feel ML almost turns my computer into an iOS device. I kinda miss the "power user" or "pro user" feel of old times.

Yamcha
Aug 2, 2012, 01:41 PM
So far no issues with Mountain Lion on my Macbook Pro 17" Early 2008.. Noticeably faster then OSX Lion, haven't tried Snow Leopard on my machine though.. But I think If you like the features on Mountain Lion then It's probably worth investing $19 on..

Sylon
Aug 2, 2012, 01:49 PM
Finder constantly forgets how you selected to arrange and sort items, especially when setting it to "Arrange/Sort by Name". It's really irritating.

BillyBobBongo
Aug 2, 2012, 04:09 PM
One odd thing is that when I want to remove an App from the dock I have to drag and hold it for a second or two before the smoke cloud appears. Previously I could just throw it out of the dock.

Oh, and I'm frustrated that they took my RSS screensaver away. :mad:

dcorban
Aug 2, 2012, 06:10 PM
One odd thing is that when I want to remove an App from the dock I have to drag and hold it for a second or two before the smoke cloud appears. Previously I could just throw it out of the dock.
This is not true. It is not based on time, but distance. You simply need to drag it further away from the dock. It still happens instantly.

BillyBobBongo
Aug 3, 2012, 12:04 AM
This is not true. It is not based on time, but distance. You simply need to drag it further away from the dock. It still happens instantly.

Well I'll be, you're right! :D

Apple...
Aug 3, 2012, 10:00 AM
With the exception of the uptodate issues at release, I haven't had any issues with ML. Smooth as silk on my system.
So my mom received a new Macbook Air recently (it was purchased on July 30th I believe) and it's still on Lion (so we'll be using the Up-to-Date program). Is a clean install recommended or is it not worth doing? I'll still probably wait until 10.8.1 is released before updating it.

Weaselboy
Aug 3, 2012, 10:23 AM
So my mom received a new Macbook Air recently (it was purchased on July 30th I believe) and it's still on Lion (so we'll be using the Up-to-Date program). Is a clean install recommended or is it not worth doing? I'll still probably wait until 10.8.1 is released before updating it.

If it is that new and she is not having any problems, there is no reason to go through all the hassle of a clean install. Just do the upgrade.

Apple...
Aug 3, 2012, 03:58 PM
If it is that new and she is not having any problems, there is no reason to go through all the hassle of a clean install. Just do the upgrade.
Ok, thanks! :)

user418
Aug 3, 2012, 11:11 PM

I thought the current available iOS version was 5.1.1???

bedifferent
Aug 3, 2012, 11:39 PM
I thought the current available iOS version was 5.1.1???

iOS 6 is in beta stage for developers, hence this ability. It will be released to consumers with the new iPhone this fall.

JacaByte
Aug 4, 2012, 12:05 AM
All animations in general are as choppy as all heck, even when the Finder is the only application running and I'm using my discrete graphics card. Mission Control and full screen transitions are the worst. Not only are they choppy, I see artifacts from icons on the desktop and dock that just shouldn't be there. Hopefully we'll see some major optimizations in the animation department in 10.8.1.

D.T.
Aug 4, 2012, 12:28 AM
2010 MBP13 upgraded from Snow Leopard (2.4GHz C2D, 6GB RAM), 2011 MBP15 (2.3 i7, 16GB, HR) upgrade from Lion (both were original installs).

Made sure both were backed up and both were updated completely first.

Both are running flawlessly, and even faster than before.

I had a strange kernel panic that started up about 2-3 weeks ago, about 1-2 weeks after a RAM upgrade, I ran several memory tests and it always showed OK. Not a sign of it since my Mountain Lion upgrade.

The only issues I ran into in terms of 3rd party apps: Parallels 6 wouldn't run (I was aware of this before the upgrade), so I downloaded a trial of PD7 and it runs much quicker than PD7 (and/or better under ML). Also Little Snitch required a manual update, up and running just fine now.

Like everything about it so far and love both our machines being in "OS-sync" now :)

WhackyNinja
Aug 4, 2012, 01:46 AM
My Notification Center isnt showing Twitter notifications when its on

GS Owner
Aug 4, 2012, 02:07 AM
Do you have any? I'm still using Snow Leopard...debating wether or not to upgrade. I still have Microsoft Office 2003, so I'd have to replace that somehow. And iMovie 06' should still work right? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks!Part 1. Come the weekends I switch the Operating System from my iMac's Internal Drive, that upgraded to Mountain Lion the day it came out, to an External HD that uses Snow Leopard.
2. It is the weekend. I am using Snow Leopard right now.

I hereby suggest you do the same.

Mountain Lion hiccups, so far, have been freezing the entire system up twice. Granted I had over 20 different Internet tabs going on 4 different browsers each time. Now when I'm using, say Safari, I will send Opera, SeaMonkey and any other browser to the Dock. That should at least minimize any and all memory or system problems.

There have been some nasty thunderstorms around here this past week. Power outages have happened at least twice this week alone. One time during a cold restart the Boot stopped just before I was asked to log in. The cursor was not on the screen. Using a hunch I unplugged the External and the Boot was successful.

There are some internet sites where the text is now - what's the term - pixilated? Text isn't as clean or sharp as they were on Tuesday.

Bad Point: Shades of Opera: The Internet Address is now two-toned: The main address in Black, the rest in gray. I'd rather it be all in black. If I can change the settings to All Black I'd do it as soon as I'm shown how to do it.

A Good Point: The stupid oval on the right side of the Navigation bar is GONE! If I want Google or Any Other Browser I'll type it in myself. It took up space for no good reason.

Bad Point: When checking for software updates Friday Afternoon I find seeing the huge App Store opening up too much of a distraction. I strongly prefer the smaller windows found in Lion and Snow Leopard.

Good/Bad Point: The Address bar is now a direct link to Google. I do A Lot of Non-porn image searching. Searching is both easier and harder. Just enter the search terms in the address bar and Google looks it up. On the other hand once an image or website is found going back has been clumsy. I think the problem there is I'm learning the new way of searching.

There are symbols in the Character Viewer that I use very often. But ever since Lion came around I haven't been able to access ¼,½ or ¾. I wound up putting them on a .Txt file and Cut & Paste them when needed. Which is about every day. But as the weekend is here I'll be using Snow Leopard and the documents I'l be typing will be easier done than in Lion or Mountain Lion.

Of course I've been using Mountain Lion for only 2½ days so far. As I get more and more practice with it I have no doubt I'll find things that I prefer in it than I do in Snow Leopard.

dazzvazz
Aug 4, 2012, 02:19 AM
Like some other posters have mentioned already, wait for a stable version.

The 'stuttering' issue is giving me grief. It has gotten to the point where I practically cannot do anything that requires any sort of moving graphics or audio. This is by far one of the worst bugs I have ever come across. My iMac literally throws a fit now. These are my symptoms...

1. Graphical lag (any movement on the screen lags immensely.
2. Sound lag
3. Sound distortion (almost sounds like sound clipping)
4. CPU usage spike.

Those who have done a clean install report that the problem still persists.

Trust me, you do not want this bug.

I am using a Mid 2011 27-inch iMac.

CFoss
Aug 4, 2012, 02:21 AM
My only issue with Mountain Lion so far is the audio crackling bug. It comes and goes, but it's very distracting, ESPECIALLY when I'm working on music.

GS Owner
Aug 7, 2012, 06:48 PM
Safari 6.0 just ABENDed about an hour ago. I wasn't even using it at the time; I was busy on WORD. Composing and Typing merrily away and I see an Icon on the Bottom disappear. Seconds later I see an onscreen message asking me if I want to report the Error. I sure do. Then I'm back to work. First break I get I restart Safari reopen the open Tabs. Lucky for me my information was coming from a Java App that only needed Safari to start.

From the Character Viewer: I really miss the Digits set of characters. I use ¼, ½ and ¾ a lot.

After due consideration I hereby believe that Google is too integrated into Safari. I'm going back to a previous web page. I know I don't have to reenter the whole address, no more than just the first 10 or so characters should get me back pretty much to where I'm going. I sure don't need to see Google try to find where I'm going.

Oh, yeah: Last night while on MY time Mountain Lion froze up. I had to reboot. As in pulling the plug, count to 10, plug back in and hit the Start button. :mad: Everything was just frozen. Oh, everything was "Running", but programs that normally take seconds start to finish suddenly taking minutes and still running? Looping somewhere. I couldn't use the mouse to reboot so I did it the hard way.

Prime85
Aug 7, 2012, 06:56 PM
I have had no problems with ML. It runs faster smoother and personally i am getting better battery then i had with Lion

ubercool
Aug 7, 2012, 11:57 PM
Finder constantly forgets how you selected to arrange and sort items, especially when setting it to "Arrange/Sort by Name". It's really irritating.

That bugs the crap out of me too. That plus the fact that you can't tell iWork apps to not save docs to iCloud by default, so each time I have to change it to folders on my hard disk or try to navigate to the right folder, but since clicking on column headers no longer sorts, it's frustration all around. What a friggin' mess! :mad:

HDtrober
Aug 8, 2012, 02:07 AM
Zero problems, ML is better and faster :apple:

vishalduggal
Aug 8, 2012, 02:17 AM
Mountain Lion lags lie hell when I am moving through mission control's spaces, same happens when opening and closing Launchpad.
However, boot time has been reduced, which I liked a lot.
I hope in next update most of these issues will be resolved (Specially the lags).

seared.ahi
Aug 8, 2012, 02:28 AM
Here are just a couple problems I've experienced:

- Lighted Keyboard doesn't go on/off automatically even with the setting checked (2012 Macbook Air)
- Messages loses connection to AIM every time I return from sleep. (I have to log out and log in again, super annoying).

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 02:33 AM
Random red highlighting all over everything in Safari. I thought it may have been a graphics glitch at first, but it doesn't occur in any other browser, so it seems to be an isolated issue with Safari. Very annoying.

DaveWil
Aug 8, 2012, 07:06 AM
Right now Mail is killing me. I have also had a few strange non-reproducible problems. I think what bothers me the most is since I have a 2010 MBP I don't feel like I gained anything all I got was more bugs.

Scarrus
Aug 8, 2012, 08:52 AM
I have an April 2010 MBP High Res

ML has dropped my battery life so low that I don't know if I'll be able to keep it. It's pretty ridiculous. I've used it about 1.5 hours and it's at 41% - and all I've done is web browse.

Same here with my MBP, been using Safari for about 45 minutes and I'm down to 69% from 100% and I didn't use Flash.

nontroppo
Aug 8, 2012, 09:03 AM
From the Character Viewer: I really miss the Digits set of characters. I use ¼, ½ and ¾ a lot.

Character viewer shows these fine for me — you simply Customize the list and add the unicode ranges you are interested in (Digits or Digits all or in unicode sections latin-1 supplement and number forms), can then drag them to your favorites et voila!

GS Owner
Aug 8, 2012, 02:49 PM
Character viewer shows these fine for me — you simply Customize the list and add the unicode ranges you are interested in (Digits or Digits all or in unicode sections latin-1 supplement and number forms), can then drag them to your favorites et voila!A little bit of practice here:

I highlighted some characters and put them in the Search Results. Hit the Add to Favorites...Favorite button hit:

¢¼½¾¢✈

:D It works! :D

I'm still going to keep the characters on a .txt file Just In Case.

seared.ahi
Aug 8, 2012, 04:53 PM
Question: In Safari before the Address Bar was an "Address and Search Bar" I could type "amazon" and Safari would take me to amazon.com, automatically filling in the ".com." But now that it's also a Google search it takes me to Google instead. Is there a way to distinguish the 2 other than having to type .com after every entry?

Martyimac
Aug 8, 2012, 05:04 PM
My primary beef with ML, and the reason why I won't upgrade, is the Save AS issue as it now exists on ML. If they fix that, then maybe I will consider it. If it stays the way it now is, I will no longer be buying OSX or the machines that run it.

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 05:07 PM
Question: In Safari before the Address Bar was an "Address and Search Bar" I could type "amazon" and Safari would take me to amazon.com, automatically filling in the ".com." But now that it's also a Google search it takes me to Google instead. Is there a way to distinguish the 2 other than having to type .com after every entry?

It still does that if you wait a second after typing Amazon it will add .com before you press enter.

seared.ahi
Aug 8, 2012, 05:13 PM
It still does that if you wait a second after typing Amazon it will add .com before you press enter.

But not for websites you've never visited. Try it.

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 05:14 PM
But not for websites you've never visited. Try it.

I have... and I just did again. It still autofills the .com.

seared.ahi
Aug 8, 2012, 05:19 PM
I have... and I just did again. It still autofills the .com.

Hmm well mine doesn't. Is that a setting somewhere? For example: appleinsider - Google Search

Wait 5, 10, 20 seconds. No dice.

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 05:24 PM
Hmm well mine doesn't. Is that a setting somewhere? For example: appleinsider - Google Search

Wait 5, 10, 20 seconds. No dice.

It appears I have an amazon.com bookmark, which is allowing the autofill. >_>

iMarvin
Aug 8, 2012, 05:26 PM
No major problems yet, knock on wood.

One thing that annoys me is that when i shutdown my iMac, the screen turns grey and up pops my itunes window along with the grey bar on the top (forgot the right name. :p) and stays there until it shutsdown a few seconds later. Like i said, nothing major but still annoying. :)

srf4real
Aug 8, 2012, 10:51 PM
I am simply annoyed that all the glitches in Lion weren't even fixed yet and now Apple has moved on to ML already. I imagined maybe that they were just releasing the better OS instead of spending more time on Lion which was only a stop-gap move to lure us away from the dependable Snow Leopard in desire of more iOS blendability. But alas, Mountain Lion seems just as half baked as Lion was.. and there is no going back for me on a mini that shipped with Lion. I am envious of my wife with her black macbook circa 2007 that has maxxed out and runs like a computer should on 10.6

Granted there are new features that you just can't have with any other OS if you own an iPhone or iPad. But those features should have been added over and above the already perfected platform that is Snow Leopard. Instead they've just hacked away even more at our ability to have preferences and half of the preferences I set in ML don't even get honored by the OS! There seems to be an "over-riding default" that does not allow user settings to remain dominant over the OS.

And Mac OS X server has become all but useless as a server utility. I guess we should have seen it coming (I did) that the more iPhone-esque Apple was making their desktop OS, the less choices we would ultimately have.. and I never dreamed that I'd be looking for a Mac OS X jailbreak!!! Word.

GS Owner
Aug 9, 2012, 11:20 AM
http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/images/smilies/newsmilies/soapbox.gif Safari froze up again last night. http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/images/smilies/newsmilies/soapbox.gif

Aug 9, 2012, 11:56 AM
Image (http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/images/smilies/newsmilies/soapbox.gif) Safari froze up again last night. Image (http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/images/smilies/newsmilies/soapbox.gif)

Perhaps you should move back to your IIGS...I had one and I must say: what a wonderful machine..! :rolleyes:

GoGamecocks
Aug 9, 2012, 12:04 PM
The only thing that really bugs/annoys me about ML is that Address Book is now Contacts, and the change won't let me edit the picture by copying and pasting one to the card of the contact.

Krazy Bill
Aug 9, 2012, 12:59 PM
The only thing that really bugs/annoys me about ML is that Address Book is now Contacts,Seriously? :confused:

And I thought *I* hated change.

GoGamecocks
Aug 9, 2012, 01:14 PM
Seriously? :confused:

And I thought *I* hated change.

You missed the point. Reread my post before being a smart-ass.

\-V-/
Aug 9, 2012, 01:21 PM
The only thing that really bugs/annoys me about ML is that Address Book is now Contacts, and the change won't let me edit the picture by copying and pasting one to the card of the contact.

No, but you can drag and drop in the edit window.

GoGamecocks
Aug 9, 2012, 01:57 PM
No, but you can drag and drop in the edit window.

Thank you. That does work for me.

GS Owner
Aug 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
Perhaps you should move back to your IIGS...I had one and I must say: what a wonderful machine..! :rolleyes:Got me though College. Apple ][ Plus with a GS Motherboard (4th one installed by the store).

Applied Engineering's 1200 Baud modem
Imagewriter II that cost more than a current years supply of today's ink.
Applied Engineering's 1 Megabyte RAM Drive (That probably cost more than my iMac adjusting for inflation.)
Plug in Z-80 CPU Co-Processor that went 4X Apple's CPU
Nibble Magazine
InCider Magazine
Micro-Sci 5¼ Floppy Drives (Had a job with a company that used 8 inch floppies)
Etc:

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/Ironic-Mike/94f46c96.jpg

Icy1007
Aug 11, 2012, 05:21 PM
Got me though College. Apple ][ Plus with a GS Motherboard (4th one installed by the store).

Applied Engineering's 1 Megabyte RAM Drive (That probably cost more than my iMac adjusting for inflation.)
Nibble Magazine
InCider Magazine
Etc:

Image (http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/Ironic-Mike/94f46c96.jpg)

Wow, this has gotten way off topic...

east85
Aug 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
Image (http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/images/smilies/newsmilies/soapbox.gif) Safari froze up again last night. Image (http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropzone/images/smilies/newsmilies/soapbox.gif)

I feel your pain.

Krazy Bill
Aug 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Got me though College. Apple ][ PlusThat beast brings back memories. I think I paid $2400 back in '79(?)

Big-assed vents in the rear. I had a mouse living in mine. :eek:

And to keep this on topic. I have absolutely zero frustrations with ML since I went back to Snow Leopard. Everything is speedy and just works. Amazing.

srf4real
Aug 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
That beast brings back memories. I think I paid $2400 back in '79(?)

Big-assed vents in the rear. I had a mouse living in mine. :eek:

And to keep this on topic. I have absolutely zero frustrations with ML since I went back to Snow Leopard. Everything is speedy and just works. Amazing.
Jealous. My mini server (2011) came with Lion, and hoped that Mountain Cub would be the fix for all that ailed that OS. No luck. Maybe Apple should leave the desktop scene alone and just sell iPhones, since their latest OS just doesn't work. :/

shyam09
Aug 11, 2012, 11:28 PM
the wifi fails!! my other devices connect (ipad, cell phones)... my sister's MBP (running Lion) connects... it connected initially too... sigh I've been having problems one after another on ML.

Badrottie
Aug 12, 2012, 01:50 AM
notifaction is useless never got anything from twitter to Facebook :mad:

Mike The Duck
Aug 12, 2012, 04:48 AM
My frustration, or rather, exasperation, with ML has little to do with performance issues. It's working well on both my Macs.

The annoyance, if you will, is that it appears this is a sign that Apple is going to be releasing new OS'es every July from now on... which means that many, many apps and functions are going to go haywire on an annual basis from this point forward, until updates and bugfixes are released.

I've actually wondered if we shouldn't consider August of every year "Apple Fiasco" month. Is anybody really comfortable with putting up with this kind of release schedule?

flashmac76
Aug 12, 2012, 05:41 AM
issues seen until now all indicate a problem with sleep in ML.

I have a MBP with 2x500GB SDD (Crucial M4) and 16GB RAM. Not boasting - just enjoying the speed :)
Trim is enabled on the disks and booting hasn't been an issue...ever.

Sleep issues seen:

1. when waking up from sleep, NAS mounts are missing. A real bummer if your iTunes library is on a NAS and you have your iPhone/iPad trying to synchronize. :(
I've had this issue reported to Apple as a Bug. I could reproduce the issue for a whole week. Now I no longer can. And I don't see what was changed (no update, no disk permission fix). Maybe the Cron job ran and fixed "magically" something... though I don't think so - I've read about this issue on other forums.

2. when waking up from sleep and I have multiple applications open. They don't appear to be open. Neither in the dock (no little bright indicator below the open App) nor in the application switcher when you to a CMD-TAB.
I can bring up Mission Control and identify my open Application. A restart fixes that problem. But it's not a nice fix.

cyberone
Aug 12, 2012, 06:06 AM

10.8.1 will be out in a few weeks time and be more stable.

No reason to rush and be a beta tester.

baryon
Aug 12, 2012, 07:02 AM

Stay with SL, if you're happy with it. ML will only bring you problems, who knows what...

3rd Rock
Aug 12, 2012, 07:23 AM
Anyone know why many have had no issues like me with ML, and other do ? Must be an underlining reason for this. I did a clean install, have the latest software, have a 2011 MacMini, have not installed an fancy apps or extensions, and have enough ram as well.

flashmac76
Aug 12, 2012, 07:56 AM
Anyone know why many have had no issues like me with ML, and other do ? Must be an underlining reason for this. I did a clean install, have the latest software, have a 2011 MacMini, have not installed an fancy apps or extensions, and have enough ram as well.

lol...find the common denominator. I'll give you a clue. The manufacturer starts with "A" and ends with pple. :cool:

3rd Rock
Aug 12, 2012, 08:33 AM
lol...find the common denominator. I'll give you a clue. The manufacturer starts with "A" and ends with pple. :cool:

You so funny :D

Apple is just fine and the reason I left the PC world/Microsoft for it. Too bad some have had issues, but not at my end. Still must be a reason for it other than a smart remark that does not hold water. Go to or back to Microsoft if you feel that way. ;)

kastorff
Aug 12, 2012, 08:50 AM
I had a few apps I uninstalled that weren't yet compatible that I didn't use frequently, but everything else I regularly use was compatible or had an update to fix.

Overall my experience has been very good. ML feels faster overall than Lion, but it's a subtle impression.

I've had two issues so far:
1) Upon reboot, sometimes my wallpaper reverts to the previous wallpaper I was using.
2) Mail will sometimes take forever to quit, most times quit normally, and occasionally just end up in some in between state you have to force quit to resolve.

scorptec1
Aug 12, 2012, 09:02 AM
I am using a 2009 13inch Macbook Pro and ML is running amazing. Safari has been improved and the laptop is running faster altogether. :)

Krazy Bill
Aug 12, 2012, 09:06 AM
I've actually wondered if we shouldn't consider August of every year "Apple Fiasco" month. Is anybody really comfortable with putting up with this kind of release schedule?

I don't understand your concern. You don't have to blindly obey and upgrade OSX each year. :confused:

Aug 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Got me though College. Apple ][ Plus with a GS Motherboard (4th one installed by the store).

Nibble Magazine
InCider Magazine
Etc:

Image (http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/Ironic-Mike/94f46c96.jpg)

Good times!

Mine was the ROM 03 one, with the Apple RGB monitor, an AE 40MB HD, a Kensington 3 1/2"/floppy storage console and TransWarp (remember?). Probably the best-built machine in Apple's history - not to mention the best sound capabilities and full compatibility with all Apple // software..!

Predator69
Aug 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
With fast depleting battery I am now confuse have apple really following Bill Gates footsteps. ?

s0mojo
Aug 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
base spec rMBP upgraded from Lion, running smooth here

GS Owner
Aug 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
Good times!

Mine was the ROM 03 one, with the Apple RGB monitor, an AE 40MB HD, a Kensington 3 1/2"/floppy storage console and TransWarp (remember?). Probably the best-built machine in Apple's history - not to mention the best sound capabilities and full compatibility with all Apple // software..!ROM 01!
Transwarp. Yep!
I later got two of Apple's 3½ inch Drives.
I never changed the Internal Battery Once! I heard of problems with the battery dieing on others, but never me!
I forget which company got to be my first Hard Drive. Suddenly being able to startup faster and quieter than before. It's safe to say that I have more memory hard wired right now than I've ever had available in the early Hard Drives.
Beagle Brothers for assorted little goodies.
And so on again.

Saturday I had no problems with anything freezing. Sunday afternoon (OK, my time) I unplugged due to freezing. :mad:

If Apple comes up with a major upgrade OS next July - call it Ocelot for now - I may skip the upgrade. I may go back to Lion on Internal and keep Snow Leopard on my External Drives. I have yet to see a reason to finally ditch Snow Leopard for any new OS.

GS Owner
Aug 15, 2012, 08:19 PM
*laughing*

We're cussing out Mountain Lion while those in the Microsoft Based world are enjoying the "Fruits" of Explorer 8. It's enough to wonder if they're sharing the same programmers.

Meanwhile: While Safari hasn't frozen up on me lately, suddenly Java isn't accepting Digital Signatures. I have some videos I want/need to download and the system won't let me. Java is suddenly preventing me downloading videos.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/Ironic-Mike/7a25b1cf.png

After I hit the Continue Button it still won't let me download the video. It will ONLY hit Show Certificate or Deny Until tonight it was going good, too.

Apple...
Aug 23, 2012, 05:50 PM
10.8.1 is out! Has it fixed anything for you?

RoelJuun
Aug 23, 2012, 06:17 PM
Scroll…scroll…scrooo-suddenly at the bottom of the page…

It doesn't happen when I lift my fingers from the trackpad for a second. But my hand always rests on the trackpad so this isn't nice for me. The momentum scrolling gained a little too much momentum for me.

Idgit
Aug 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
Nope.

Time Machine and audio Airplay over Wi-Fi is still broken for my on my MB Pro (mid-2007). Given the age and scarcity of my model, I have a sinking feeling that Apple won't even bother fixing this particular bug.

:mad:

b_scott
Aug 24, 2012, 09:52 AM
Nope.

Time Machine and audio Airplay over Wi-Fi is still broken for my on my MB Pro (mid-2007). Given the age and scarcity of my model, I have a sinking feeling that Apple won't even bother fixing this particular bug.

:mad:

unfortunately, 5 years old in computer terms is pretty ancient.

My wife had a Dell from 2005 which she just sold for $50. Got a new MBA. Hopefully that will last at least as long.

mikebinstock
Aug 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
ML has been a great trip for me so far.

Upgraded from Lion this morning (2010 white MB and early 2008 iMac) and have been testing all day. Better memory management, CPUs not working nearly as hard, internal temps down. Office 2008 and iWork '09 both working fine (yeah, I have to run both), as is Adobe CS4 Photoshop, Bridge and Distiller. My old HP Officejet printer/scanner is working fine with ML too.

Not a Safari user...using the latest version of Firefox. No performance issues with Mission Launch and Firefox, even with multiple tabs open. No issues with WiFi. Apps and OS both seem pretty stable. Internal temps seem to bob between 48 and 51 degrees on the iMac...warmer than Lion, but still not too bad. Amazingly, the MacBook is running a few degrees cooler than the iMac; never thought I'd see that!

Notifications seems pretty limited at this point but, fortunately, Growl is filling the gap just fine.

I did have to upgrade Dropbox, Onyx and VMware Fusion (the latter of which cost more than the ML upgrade itself!). Also had to modify security settings to allow Onyx to run.

Overall system speed seems much better with ML, especially after cleaning caches and maintaining permissions with Onyx. I've been pushing both boxes very hard all day, but have encountered no issues - only improvements. Like I said, it's been a great trip so far.

hello, I am assuming that the Imac is slightly slower then my macbook pro. How is it working on ML and would you strongly recommend me upgrading from Lion to ML on my early macbook pro. I like lion but think Snow Leopard was snapper.

I would do a clean install of mountain lion and transfer data back over.

Thank you for any input

Mike

ser3kk
Aug 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
I'm frustrated in general because I'm stuck on a 3G connection for which I pay about $15 a gig, so no Mountain Lion, no movie store rentals- just lousy browsing or the odd book.

Go to Apple Store or someone with better Internet and download it there.

GS Owner
Aug 24, 2012, 08:59 PM
10.8.1 is out! Has it fixed anything for you?Ask me tomorrow: I just got the Upgrade notice.

They must have been reading about all the freezes and hangups we've been getting. I swear I've been seriously contemplating going back to Lion 10.7. :mad:

GS Owner
Aug 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
10.8.1 is out! Has it fixed anything for you?OK, I did the upgrade.

I haven't been frozen out yet, but I'm still getting that same message with Keepvid.com.

I wonder if I have to change some setting somewhere or another. On Weekends I switch to the Snow Leopard OS on an external drive and I don't have this message when I try to download some Youtube.com video:

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/Ironic-Mike/7a25b1cf.png

monkor
Aug 26, 2012, 10:20 PM
Anyone else experiencing WiFi drop issues on their MBP? Or should I say, WiFi wonkiness, because it's technically working. Full signal bars, but it craps out after about 5 minutes max (while waiting for a video to buffer in this instance). I did a ping test from my iphone, 1,000 packets out of 1,000 packets received, so it's clearly not the internet connection. It starts working after I turn the WiFi off and on again, but borks shortly after attempting the same task.

This sucks, and I've yet to find any solution on the web that works, only people complaining about it for about 20 pages on Apple Support forums. Like this one: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4136718?start=15&tstart=0

jbachandouris
Aug 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
Safari has been crashing for me at least once a day. At first I thought I must have done something, but today's crash was obviously not my fault.

Running 10.8.1. Three tabs open: Gmail, Facebook, and one tab for general browsing. The last crash was when I went to MSN. I guess thats not allowed.;)

Benbikeman
Aug 27, 2012, 12:35 PM
No wifi issues or Safari crashes here on a MBP 17 running 10.8.

There is one weird Safari glitch where text in an input box like the one here will sometimes partially blank out. Clicking somewhere else or highlighting the text sorts it.

jk73
Aug 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
Safari has been crashing for me at least once a day. At first I thought I must have done something, but today's crash was obviously not my fault.

Running 10.8.1. Three tabs open: Gmail, Facebook, and one tab for general browsing. The last crash was when I went to MSN. I guess thats not allowed.;)

I've had several Safari crashes under both 10.8 and 10.8.1. I've admittedly had more than three tabs open, but I never had this many Safari crashes on my old PowerBook with a similar number of open tabs.

All in all, I love my rMBP and 10.8.1. Just wish the OS was a little more stable.

haroldg48
Aug 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
I am a converted Windows user who went to a mid-2011 MBP and loved it. Went to Lion, no problems. Now have gone to ML and done the 10.8.1 update, and it feels like Windows in that a) I've had freeze-ups while on Chrome with 3 tabs open; and b) I've had at least 5 times where the machine wouldn't wake up from sleep without re-booting via the on/off button. Never happened on SL or Lion. I was hoping 10.8.1 would fix everything, but it hasn't.

jk73
Aug 27, 2012, 07:58 PM
... I've had at least 5 times where the machine wouldn't wake up from sleep without re-booting via the on/off button. Never happened on SL or Lion. I was hoping 10.8.1 would fix everything, but it hasn't.

I've had several of these as well. Not only annoying, but very disconcerting. I hope this is fixed in 10.8.2.

Gryz
Aug 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
Is anyone having issues with their Firewire? I have an external HD via FW to hold my iTunes collection and there is a definite 2-5 second lag between the time I hit play and it actually playing. Never had this problem with Lion...

cas85
Aug 27, 2012, 08:42 PM
I am having absolutely zero issues with ML. I'm on a mid-2010 13 2.4 C2D w/8GB Ram...only thing i notice is about 10% decrease in battery life, but it's nowhere near as bad as i've seen others report (not calling anyone liars, just stating my experience).

My 2+ year old computer is running as smooth as ever and I couldn't be happier with it.

I hope they get everyone's issues ironed out; especially those with newer machines.

Just wanted to state my experience to let people know the outlook isn't totally dreary.

PsstGreek
Aug 28, 2012, 09:55 AM
Any one having issues sending a picture over iMessage (Mac) to iOS? Trying to send a pic to an iPod, and the iPod won't get the picture at all. Under file transfers it say "Zero KB transfered"

(from a google search), I reset the PRAM and deleted the plist files, still a no go.

*EDIT*

It seems to be working now but hopefully I don't have to do this everytime my iMac reboots.

GS Owner
Aug 31, 2012, 06:27 AM
Results with the latest Upgrades:

I haven't had any freeze ups since. Progress is very Nice. :D

On the other hand my Canon PIXMA Printer hasn't been able to Scan anything. While I don't use its Scanning function all that often it is safe to say I Scan something at least once or twice a month.

The Scanning App starts, then a few seconds later it Totally stops. The Perfect ABEND if I ever saw one. I wound installing Lion in a 32GB Flash Drive and did a bunch of Scans after I got everything updated.

Dear Apple & Canon: For your next trick please let my PIXMA printer Scan in Mountain Lion. Yes, I'll be checking Canon again for patches and updates.

Benbikeman
Aug 31, 2012, 12:47 PM
Safari has been crashing for me at least once a day.

This seems to be a 10.8.1 thing, as it only happened to me after upgrading from 10.8 to 10.8.1. Repairing permissions seems to have cured it.

bedifferent
Aug 31, 2012, 01:22 PM
As much as I dislike Apple's iOS-X integration since Lion, I will admit 10.8.2 has fixed many issues. With "TotalSpaces" adding "Snow Leopard" "Spaces" back into OS X, and unchecking "Group windows by application" in "Mission Control" brings back 10.5/6"All Windows" "Exposé" resolving issues many took with 10.7. 10.8.2 addresses horribly memory management and "Safari" doesn't reload pages every single time.

Still need:

- OpenGL Core 4.0+ support
- A new "Finder" (HFS+ has worn out its welcome)
- New iTunes (it't not just a music app)
- New iPhoto (needs a major overhaul, sad when the iOS ver is better)
- "TotalSpaces" is great, however with the massive amount of complaints, 10.5/6 "Spaces" should be an option
- Improved "Mission Control"
- Memory Management (see re: numerous threads on horrid RAM management)
- "Answering Machine" for "Messages" (per Apple's patents, add the feature that was removed from 10.6 beta's allowing a video/audio away message and for users to leave a video/audio message - great for the deaf esp with FaceTime)

Cintulek
Aug 31, 2012, 04:16 PM
Hi.

I've used a 10.8.2 "C35" version, but still animations are not smooth, lagging as hell on Notifications and Mission Control - it's only on HD 3000, on AMD looking good - why? :(

Nimoy
Sep 3, 2012, 01:58 PM
Is anyone else unable to receive images in iMessage on Mac? If I click Window>File Transfers I see a bunch of files endlessly "trying" to be transferred but they never show up.

jvpython
Sep 4, 2012, 01:20 AM

This bug pisses me off so much! That is the number one thing I want Apple to fix by far!

harrisondavies
Sep 4, 2012, 07:54 AM
Two issues.

Selecting share > email on an item will bring two compose windows up with the same content.

Have to wait ages for the login screen to allow input of password from sleep.

sshhoott
Sep 4, 2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone have a word on the smoothness of mission control and changing desktop animations on OS X 10.8.2?

I'm running a MBP 13" 2010 with Nvidia 320M.