Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
So... just as a quick reference guide, mostly for me...

Who are all the moderators?

Who do you contact for forum stuff via PM?

Thanks...

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
edesignuk said:
I'm not a full blown mod you see, 2nd rate all the way :eek:

Not that I want to be one (not enough free time), how does one get selected to be a moderator? I have always been curious.

Hickman

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Brian Hickman said:
Not that I want to be one (not enough free time), how does one get selected to be a moderator? I have always been curious.

Hickman

You get invited to a mysterious meeting in the public toilets at Charing Cross station by a strange American offering power and fair words.... :D

Seriously, it's by invitation, I believe I was nominated by another forum member and it was simply a coincidence that the existing mods were considering hiring new help.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
WinterMute said:
You get invited to a mysterious meeting in the public toilets at Charing Cross station by a strange American offering power and fair words.... :D
If that was for real, I would so do my bestest to be the bestest mod/mod mini candidate just to go to London again. :D

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
WinterMute said:

Seriously, it's by invitation, I believe I was nominated by another forum member and it was simply a coincidence that the existing mods were considering hiring new help.

Damn, and I was hoping for some good ol' fraternity hazing. Do you at lease get to wear hooded black robes?

Hickman

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Brian Hickman said:
Damn, and I was hoping for some good ol' fraternity hazing. Do you at lease get to wear hooded black robes?

Hickman

No, but we do get issued a range of red wigs to make us all look like Keira Knightly... :eek:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
edesignuk said:
I'm not a full blown mod you see, 2nd rate all the way
Actually, it's a tradeoff. Mod minis are available in a choice of colors (blue, pink, green, and silver) and are more convenient to carry around than regular mods. And they are cheaper too!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So why are all our mods hard drive-based then? I think we should have a flash mod called...

Umm... Shuffle Mod?...

Just to keep things exciting, this mod should have all members blocked so he/she can't see any posts.

Oh, and can I nominate Lacero?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Doctor Q said:
Actually, it's a tradeoff. Mod minis are available in a choice of colors (blue, pink, green, and silver) and are more convenient to carry around than regular mods. And they are cheaper too!

Do you have an estimated date on when the Mod minis will be getting color screens?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mad jew said:
:D

But that's the idea. We don't want things getting boring round here, do we.

With the likes of so many great MacRumors personalities such as the group of us here, how could that possibly happen? ;) :cool:

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
in all seriousness now i am curious the difference. is a macrumors "mod mini" basically a regular moderator and the rest of the moderators are actually "super moderators" - meaning they can moderate any forum and have a separate moderator control panel, etc. (i know you vBulletin folks know what i mean in that terminology.) is that correct?

i got the impression that most of the mods here were actually "super moderators" and perhaps mod mini was assigned certain areas as regular "moderator" was according to vBulletin default.
(?)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Allow me to explain, Blue. arn is the site owner, and "god" in vBulletin terms. blakespot used to help run the site and is also a "god". Mudbug is editor and the other "god". The rest of us are moderators, and edesignuk has almost exactly the same forum privileges and responsibilities as the others. The biggest difference? His title.

Oh, and he gets half the salary. ;)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The other difference is that he can't see certain subforums :p

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    119 KB · Views: 133

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Nermal said:
Is that screenshot for real?! Aww, I feel bad for edesign... or whomever is the next mod-- talk about hazing.:eek:

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mad jew said:
So why are all our mods hard drive-based then? I think we should have a flash mod called...

Umm... Shuffle Mod?...

Just to keep things exciting, this mod should have all members blocked so he/she can't see any posts.

Oh, and can I nominate Lacero?

Now THAT was funny. :D

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
devilot76 said:
Is that screenshot for real?! Aww, I feel bad for edesign... or whomever is the next mod-- talk about hazing.

Sadly not, just Nermal playing with ya!

Nermal said:

<falls off sofa laughing>

That's a great idea for a new forum... Lets do it. Can we? Can we? Can we? Huh? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.