PDA

View Full Version : Messages - Buddy List?

JediSkipdogg
Jul 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
I hate the new messages unless I am missing something. Is there a way to show all my online friends in one place?

Right now the only way I've been able to find online friends is to Compose a New Message and then click the + to send it to and then click on Buddies. I'd like to just be able to quickly see if someone is on without doing all that. Is there a way?

jameslmoser
Jul 27, 2012, 08:44 PM
Yes. The buddy list is still there. Use option + 1. Its one more thing they fixed that wasn't broken and its one more apple app I'm no longer going to use. I've switched to Adium.

JediSkipdogg
Jul 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
Ok, thanks. I went through all the menus and missed that one.

tylerjamison
Oct 5, 2012, 12:41 PM
What do you mean by option + 1?

Weaselboy
Oct 5, 2012, 02:46 PM
What do you mean by option + 1?

He meant command key+1 which will bring the buddy window forward.

MobiusStrip
Oct 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
The buddy list menu item (which, as usual, Apple has inexplicably put in the Window menu instead of the View menu where it belongs) won't even exist if the AIM service is turned off (which it is by default).

Another basic UI concept that Apple "forgot" is that when something is inapplicable, you grey it out. You don't just make it disappear entirely, because people will never learn where it is.

The Messages UI is a disgrace. Not as bad as Address Book or the calendar, but it's incompetent all the same.