PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion UI Lag on rMBP !!! (Let's Make this thread serious and hope for a fix)

dsciel
Jul 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
I personally think the Animation UI lagging bug is a serious issue on rMBP because this machine cost $2000 and up and it lags on UI features such as Mission Control and Space Switching while classic Macbook pros don't. I do understand that the retina display models carries a high resolution display, but I think the quad core CPU should have the ability to handle it (please correct me if I am wrong). Running discrete card will have a better, smoother performance, but it drains battery a lot more quicker while on battery.

MacRumors is a popular website that many Mac users visit and hopefully some Apple Application engineers as well.

I am hoping and asking anyone experiencing the issue to follow up with this thread and post your concerns. There are some scatter threads about this issue and I am trying to get everyone involve into a single power thread. That way we can raise Apple's Concern on this issue. I really want to make this serious and hope for a fix soon....You may also submit a feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

[Update] I think it's a bug from the Integrated Intel 4000. Because forcing the discrete video card to run at all times makes the system run smoother, but it will significantly decreases the battery life.

p.s. Please excuse me for any grammar errors

JS82712
Jul 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
I personally think the UI lagging bug is a serious issue on rMBP because this machine cost $2000 and up and it lags on UI features such as Mission Control and Space Switching while classic Macbook pros don't. I do understand that the retina display models carries a high resolution display, but I think the quad core CPU should have the ability to handle it (please correct me if I am wrong). Running discrete card will have a better, smoother performance, but it drains battery a lot more quicker while on battery.

MacRumors is a popular website that many Mac users visit and hopefully some Apple Application engineers as well.

I am hoping and asking anyone experiencing the issue to follow up with this thread and post your concerns. That way we can raise Apple's Concern on this issue. I really want to make this serious and hope for a fix soon....

p.s. Please excuse me for any grammar errors

This also happens on the base iMac 2010 model; no issues with 2011 MBP though

slrandall
Jul 27, 2012, 09:36 PM
Thought I was the only one. Mission Control - one of my favorite and most used features - lags horribly. I'm on a rMBP.

VacantPsalm
Jul 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
Yay, thread about this. Info: rMBP base model with 16gig RAM. Had no problems with Lion.

As I mentioned in the other thread. 10 Safari windows is FAR worse than having 10 tabs open in one window. Testing if it's just Safari or I have like 20 text edit windows open if I get the same problem.

Edit: Eh, 17+ random apps each with a window open lags a bit. 21 Text edit windows does better. 14 Safari windows is worse. Having the windows in another space also seems to help, still not good.

hYu
Jul 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
I experience this as well on my Baseline MBP Retina. Also its slightly choppy/laggy when scrolling on almost every other app e.g. reminders, iTunes, Mail, 3rd party apps, etc. except for Safari.

Could it be because it's pushing like 5 Million pixels at an insane resolution?

Hmmm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe they need to implement Core Animation into everything, because Safari has core animation and it is holy cow LIGHTNING FAST. Would this also drain the battery more as well?

Hopefully its just a software issue though and will be fixed later, maybe when 10.8.1 comes out or something.

BUT what we should do atleast is ACTUALLY TAKE ACTION directly, send Apple some feedback rather than just moan and whine here, which doesn't really fix the problem anyways.

dsciel
Jul 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
I experience this as well on my Baseline MBP Retina. Also its slightly choppy/laggy when scrolling on almost every other app e.g. reminders, iTunes, Mail, 3rd party apps, etc. except for Safari.

Could it be because it's pushing like 5 Million pixels at an insane resolution?

Hmmm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe they need to implement Core Animation into everything, because Safari has core animation and it is holy cow LIGHTNING FAST. Would this also drain the battery more as well?

Hopefully its just a software issue though and will be fixed later, maybe when 10.8.1 comes out or something.

BUT what we should do atleast is ACTUALLY TAKE ACTION directly, send Apple some feedback rather than just moan and whine here, which doesn't really fix the problem anyways.

i did post another thread in the Apple tech support community. Trying everything i can possibly do to make the fix happen anytime soon.

Woodcrest64
Jul 28, 2012, 12:20 AM
I have the 2.3ghz with 16gb of memory for the retina macbook and Mountain Lion. The only lag I notice is flipping pages in iCal and opening up the APPS folder on my dock. Hopefully it will improve with another update.

Mind you if you run your Retina Macbook pro at the 2880x1800 resolution using setResX it runs liquid smooth. But everything is bloody tiny !! :)

dsciel
Jul 28, 2012, 12:46 AM
I have the 2.3ghz with 16gb of memory for the retina macbook and Mountain Lion. The only lag I notice is flipping pages in iCal and opening up the APPS folder on my dock. Hopefully it will improve with another update.

Mind you if you run your Retina Macbook pro at the 2880x1800 resolution using setResX it runs liquid smooth. But everything is bloody tiny !! :)

Yea, it does run smooth at 2880x1800. but it is almost impossible to read...

Adil Aziz
Jul 28, 2012, 01:08 AM
i'm having the same issue on my macbook air 2011 (actually the reason why i made an account here) hope there is a fix soon.

M87
Jul 28, 2012, 01:21 AM
I'm on a rMBP (base model, no upgrades) and I'm not experiencing any of the UI lag described here.

dsciel
Jul 28, 2012, 01:35 AM
I'm on a rMBP (base model, no upgrades) and I'm not experiencing any of the UI lag described here.

Open several apps and try to use mission control (4 fingers swipe up and swipe back).. or use Space switching Control + Left, right Arrow.. or used 4 fingers( swipe left and right)

M5RahuL
Jul 28, 2012, 01:39 AM
Just updated to ML. Will test this in the AM !

KingArthurVI
Jul 28, 2012, 01:44 AM
+1 for opening post. We paid $2000++ and we have to worry about UI lags that are non-existent on older MBPs? :mad: did Apple even try stuffs on their machines before they released them into the wild?

pepede
Jul 28, 2012, 02:15 AM
The same situation happens on 2011 Macbook pro 13 which is equiped only in intel hd 3000.
I have UI lags for example when Im moving between full screen apps

Lvivske
Jul 28, 2012, 02:23 AM
For me I can live with the lag on the Intel, but on the Nvidia it shouldn't be there

switching spaces there is no lag, on the nvidia, if it's between fullscreen apps. Switching to a desktop and there is a pretty big lag.

They really should fix this. It's an eyesore.

parlour
Jul 28, 2012, 02:28 AM
Strange, Im really not experiencing any lag on the rMBP (base model) except in iTunes where scrolling is slightly choppy.

What are the circumstances under which you experience it?

AutoUnion39
Jul 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
Safari 6.0 in ML fixed all the scrolling issues, but the UI itself can be laggy at times. Especially VLC when you are trying to go to full screen on a high res video and such.

I think devs need to take more advantage of Core Animation and such because this is annoying for such a high dollar machine, not to mention, something with a gig of VRAM and 16gb of regular RAM.

Starfox
Jul 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
It gets slower the more windows with more CoreAnimation layers that you have while on the Intel GPU. It's a driver bug. I bet we'll see a fix soon.

bbfc
Jul 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
The same situation happens on 2011 Macbook pro 13 which is equiped only in intel hd 3000.
I have UI lags for example when Im moving between full screen apps

I have the same setup and not experiencing any lags. I've got a quite a few apps open, all in full screen, and switching is smooth (as it was in Lion).

mabaker
Jul 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
You don't seriously believe Apple is reading this forum.

You should do a targeted message out by going to:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Only then Apple may by stroke of luck know of the issues you are experiencing.

Nick412
Jul 28, 2012, 11:13 AM
no problems here with rmbp

stuaz
Jul 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
I notice no lag? I have 10 tabs open in safari, the mac app store, mail, notes, iTunes, iPhoto, iMessages open as well. Am also downloading a 4gb game from Mac App Store

No issues going in to Mission Control, or any other lag for that matter. Safari is butterly smooth as well when scrolling:confused:

dsciel
Jul 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
I notice no lag? I have 10 tabs open in safari, the mac app store, mail, notes, iTunes, iPhoto, iMessages open as well. Am also downloading a 4gb game from Mac App Store

No issues going in to Mission Control, or any other lag for that matter. Safari is butterly smooth as well when scrolling:confused:

I think some people do not see lag is noticeable? I have tried a few rMBP from my friends and they do lag.

There is another issue discovered regarding on the graphical issue. Every time you boot into the system, a black or grey screen will appear before your system is completely logged in. as discussing in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1413078

stuaz
Jul 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
I think some people do not see lag is noticeable? I have tried a few rMBP from my friends and they do lag.

There is another issue discovered regarding on the graphical issue. Every time you boot into the system, a black or grey screen will appear before your system is completely logged in. as discussing in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1413078

My work issued HP Elitebook running Win7 - now that has lag on graphical intense webpages so I do know what I am looking for.

I did notice Lag with my RMBP at the start before I had applied updates etc but since then no real issues - yes I imagine if I went on facebook and scrolled the screen at a gazillion miles and hour I may experience lag, but as I don't view webpages like that I don't see it as an issue to me.

dbyway
Jul 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
I have the rMBP and haven't had one issue with this. I don't think it's universal really.

VacantPsalm
Jul 28, 2012, 01:30 PM

Only then Apple may by stroke of luck know of the issues you are experiencing.This. I actually dropped them a feedback right after making my post. I second that everyone with this problem should do that.

By the way, it also seems to be related to the "more space" resolution setting. When I switched over to true 2880 it does seem a lot smother.

basesnow
Jul 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
I have not had any problems with lag when switching between full screen apps, or while using Mission control. I have 16G RAM, but when I look in activity monitor it always shows at least 11G free

dsciel
Jul 28, 2012, 05:30 PM
I have not had any problems with lag when switching between full screen apps, or while using Mission control. I have 16G RAM, but when I look in activity monitor it always shows at least 11G free

Not sure if more memory would help, but animation UI should not be lag as it does not uses much of memory

AzN1337c0d3r
Jul 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
Not sure if more memory would help, but animation UI should not be lag as it does not uses much of memory

There is some slight choppiness on my base-model rMBP in Mission Control on the Integrated as opposed to the Discrete. This is likely because of the way Apple has implemented the "Looks like 1920x1200" resolution. The GPU has to render the thing at 3840x2400 resolution and then scale it down.

That's a LOT of pixels to draw on an integrated GPU like the HD4000.

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
I see it on my iMac.

AzN1337c0d3r
Jul 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
For those who can do a little arithmetic

3840*2400 pixels * 32 bits/pixel = ~281Mb / frame. Animation is usually considered smooth at above 30 frames per second, so that's ~8 Gbps of bandwidth just to move all those pixels onto the GPU.

a3vr
Jul 28, 2012, 06:04 PM

3840*2400 pixels * 32 bits/pixel = ~281Mb / frame. Animation is usually considered smooth at above 30 frames per second, so that's ~8 Gbps of bandwidth just to move all those pixels onto the GPU.

Agree its a lot of bandwidth, but shouldn't it be choppy all the time then? If I minimize or maximize its fine. Swiping back and forth its fine. But resizing a window its not. That's not very consistent. Seems more like a coding issue to me.

AzN1337c0d3r
Jul 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
Agree its a lot of bandwidth, but shouldn't it be choppy all the time then? If I minimize or maximize its fine. Swiping back and forth its fine. But resizing a window its not. That's not very consistent. Seems more like a coding issue to me.

Swiping is actually a very cheap operation if you're smartly implementing it, it's nothing but moving a pointer.

Achernar
Jul 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
The rMBP has many times more pixels to render than previous generations of MBP's, with only incremental updates in graphics and CPU. Of course UI is not going to be as smooth as previous generations.

If you want to get the best possible UI performance on the rMBP, then use the "Best (Retina)" display option. This is because Apple handles the non-native resolutions by rendering the display at a higher resolution than the default 2880x1800 then scaling it down. Thus, the non-native scaling will yield even more UI lag.

Even with the Best (Retina) option, your rMBP will lag more than the MBP because at the very least it is playing with 4x as many pixels. No doubt apple will attempt to tweak things to get maximum performance out of the hardware, but there is only so much they can do.

The night fox
Jul 31, 2012, 12:33 PM
Installed ML today and couldn't regret it more. I was experiencing no lag in Lion. Surely a speced out rMBP can handle some simple UI features. Apple need to sort this out asap.

pianodude123
Aug 1, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hey,

I just switched the resolution of my display (I had it scaled to the highest resolution and was getting lag) to the "Best for Retina" option, and I'm getting instantly noticeable better scrolling and performance throughout mountain lion. This sucks because I really enjoyed having the ability to have like 3 windows open all on the same screen since I have good eyes.

Gonza211
Aug 1, 2012, 09:46 AM
When upgrading to ML was experiencing lag on Mission Control and changing between desktops. Did a clean install after that and the Mission Control issues were solved but there is still a bit of lag while changing desktops and inside some apps, e.g. Mac App Store. I believe it is an Intel HD 4000 driver configuration/bug.

To way someone told me and it worked to solve the lag between changing desktops is to hide the dock. I'm on a 2012 Air.

Lvivske
Aug 1, 2012, 10:15 AM
I've noticed lag with mission control but this can all be alleviated by hiding the dock

the dock is the problem here. it's being processed by the CPU and not the GPU, and on top of being a dynamic process in of itself, it's got high dpi graphics and animations and all that.

i hid my dock and MC lag went away.

rfnv
Aug 1, 2012, 10:26 AM
having the same problem on a non-retina high end mid 2012 15 inch! i've got pretty laggy launchpad and mission control performance on the HD4000 but fine with the GT650M. strange thing that it was fine up 'til yesterday

CollinCarter
Aug 3, 2012, 08:18 AM
I have 2 iMacs 2011 model. One has terrible lag moving between desktops and the other does not. Interestingly enough, moving between full screen applications causes no lag.

danwestbrook
Aug 3, 2012, 08:44 AM
hated the lag on the rmbp too open Terminal and run the following two commands much faster now :-)

defaults write com.apple.dock expose-animation-duration -float 0.15

killall Dock

barrettj
Aug 3, 2012, 08:49 AM
I only experience Mission Control lag when I have a fullscreen app (or additional space). If I have no apps fullscreened and no additional spaces everything is smooth (with the exact same number of apps/windows).

wutang55
Aug 4, 2012, 12:53 AM
I definitely have seen this too. Running on a clean install of ML on a 2.6/16/512, lagging gets pretty bad in Mission Control with only a few windows open. Usually running at 1900x1200 but it's noticeable even at lower resolutions. Dock hiding and everything hasn't help me too much. Forcing the discrete GPU to stay on does seem to help, but obviously that's not ideal... really hoping it's a software/drivers issue and Apple gets a fix out soon. Anybody have any more info on what exactly the problem is?

MikhailT
Aug 4, 2012, 01:46 AM
You guys might see smoother animation switching between spaces if you turned off stacks on your docks. I can totally confirm this on my rMBP.

Set all folders on the docks to show as folders and you'll see MC and Space animations improved quickly.

dsciel
Aug 4, 2012, 03:05 AM
I definitely have seen this too. Running on a clean install of ML on a 2.6/16/512, lagging gets pretty bad in Mission Control with only a few windows open. Usually running at 1900x1200 but it's noticeable even at lower resolutions. Dock hiding and everything hasn't help me too much. Forcing the discrete GPU to stay on does seem to help, but obviously that's not ideal... really hoping it's a software/drivers issue and Apple gets a fix out soon. Anybody have any more info on what exactly the problem is?

No one really does, but i hope that it is the driver bug of integrated card. so that it can be fix with updates

rfnv
Aug 4, 2012, 03:08 AM
No one really does, but i hope that it is the driver bug of integrated card. so that it can be fix with updates

seems that way... UI is perfectly smooth on my GT650m on my non retina but choppy on the HD4000

jabalczar
Aug 4, 2012, 05:18 AM

Only then Apple may by stroke of luck know of the issues you are experiencing.

Actually they do read the forum.

I had a phone call and an email from Apple engineers in Cupertino after posting about Time Machine problems and Mountain Lion on Macrumors a couple of days ago. They told me they cross referenced my Macrumors details with my Apple ID and pulled my number. It was interesting to speak to them and hear how eager they were to learn of the problem.

They did mention that the engineers read the Macrumors forums (I guess especially after a hardware or software release) and Apple discussions. So it is worth posting.

I was impressed with the efforts they made and interest they showed.

NAYo2002
Aug 4, 2012, 09:59 AM
Seems like us Macbook Air 2012 people are having the same problem:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1413700

Might have something to do with Intel 4000 graphics and SSDs. I had no issues with Lion.

slrandall
Aug 5, 2012, 08:19 AM
I had no issues with Lion.

I think this is the most important piece. I had no issues with Lion either on my rMBP, so it's clearly not a hardware problem.

jtcedinburgh
Aug 6, 2012, 04:17 AM
It would be interesting to do a poll to correlate perceived lag with screen resolution in use. I would wager that most of the people who are experiencing lag are running at one of the non-integer HiDPI settings (e.g. 1920x1200) rather than 1440x900 HiDPI or 2880x1800 native.

My preference is 1920x1200 but it is a bit choppy from time to time. It is NEVER choppy at 2880x1800 native (via SwitchResX). I find the 1440x900 to be a bit 'Fisher Price' for my tastes, but I would imagine it's buttery smooth.

Also, in my case I am using the gfx switcher add-in, with integrated graphics set for battery use and discrete set for mains powered. What seems to be an issue is the slow switch between one to the other, which is likely what is causing a lot of the perceived choppiness.

barrettj
Aug 6, 2012, 07:57 AM
Changing the dock icons to display as folders instead of stacks (thanks MikhailT!) gave me a significant improvement.

Details: rMBP always running with a 27" thunderbolt display and a 24" cinema (so always on dedicated graphics)

MikhailT
Aug 6, 2012, 08:20 AM
Changing the dock icons to display as folders instead of stacks (thanks MikhailT!) gave me a significant improvement.

Details: rMBP always running with a 27" thunderbolt display and a 24" cinema (so always on dedicated graphics)

Be sure to file it as a bug report, so we can get Apple to fix this ASAP.

Feed Me
Aug 6, 2012, 09:31 AM
Wow, I just changed all my stacks to folders as suggested, and the difference is massive - it's surreal how smooth everything is now - especially on the iGPU.
Damn.

jtcedinburgh
Aug 6, 2012, 09:40 AM
I've gone back to 2880x1800 res, which has always been the smoothest resolution to run ML on in my (short) experience.

The only problem (small text) is becoming less of a problem as I start to set the preferences on apps for zoom (e.g. Chrome, Path Finder, Evernote etc.) and just for good measure I've done the Stacks->Folders trick. It's all running extremely smoothly on integrated - so much so I don't feel much need for the discrete card under normal (non gaming) use...

adrian1480
Aug 9, 2012, 05:23 PM
Wow, I just changed all my stacks to folders as suggested, and the difference is massive - it's surreal how smooth everything is now - especially on the iGPU.
Damn.

made no difference for me. very noticable framerate drops when switching spaces.

Mission Control is fine. Photoshop and Maya suffer as well. No problems in Mountain Lion.

nontroppo
Aug 9, 2012, 06:22 PM
I wonder whether the buggy shadow drawing (see attached screenshot) behind the stacks is to blame, I see opaque shadows (as if lots of composited shadows are combined, though weird composite mode) behind the dock stacks which I don't see on my 2010MBP. Folders do not show the same opaque shadow.

Zedman5526
Aug 27, 2012, 01:24 AM
has anyone actually found a fix yet? or is it a matter of waiting for a update of the os?

CollinCarter
Aug 27, 2012, 07:33 AM
I found that my problem was related to AutoCAD. When I removed it, it worked fine.

rfnv
Aug 27, 2012, 11:07 AM
has anyone actually found a fix yet? or is it a matter of waiting for a update of the os?

try setting any stacks on your dock to show as folders instead. for some reason it fixed the lag for me. i'm on a 2012 2.6ghz 15 inch non-retina MBP.

jffluis
Sep 7, 2012, 12:34 PM
I think de UI/Scroll LAG is software related since I read this subject in many forums on the internet. The main cause are probably the GPU drivers or something like that 'cause this is not only happening on MBPr, but also on iMacs and MB Airs. So let's hope Apple can fix it and make an Update.
I am not a developer so I don't access to 10.8.2 Beta to see if this issue is fixed or not, but there is anybody who can confirm it?
The most annoying to me about this issue is the fact that scrolling on Facebook, The Verge it's like I'm on a 20th century computer. :(

Thank You :D

:apple: MBPr 2.6 / 16 / 512

futuredub
Sep 7, 2012, 04:48 PM
I am not a developer so I don't access to 10.8.2 Beta to see if this issue is fixed or not, but there is anybody who can confirm it?
The most annoying to me about this issue is the fact that scrolling on Facebook, The Verge it's like I'm on a 20th century computer. :(

10.8.2 shows an improvement in safari and UI performance. I'm on a 2.6/8/512 rMBP
It's by no means perfect, but it's better. I've since reverted to 10.8.1 due to an issue with 10.8.2 and it's noticeable.

MikhailT
Sep 8, 2012, 12:07 AM

Just to be a bit more technical, it's not just GPU that's involved. The decoding of certain images requires the CPU. GPU can't yet decode many of image formats itself (certain CPU math is required). So it's back and forth between CPU and GPU many times per seconds and that can introduce lags as it can backfire/misfires into a choppy performance.

If Apple can figure out how to offload those image formats and only perform them on GPU, it'll cut down on the lags a lot.

10.8.2 shows an improvement in safari and UI performance. I'm on a 2.6/8/512 rMBP
It's by no means perfect, but it's better. I've since reverted to 10.8.1 due to an issue with 10.8.2 and it's noticeable.

From people said, 10.8.2 made improvements in a lot of performance areas. So Apple's working on it but I think it's going to take 2-3 more updates to get it really good. From what people wrote on MR, each 10.8.2 beta came with further updates to the OpenGL drivers and Safari versions are higher as well.

jffluis
Sep 8, 2012, 04:04 AM

It's Good to know that :D I'm a lot happier now for knowing that Apple is fixing this issue :D

NAYo2002
Sep 10, 2012, 11:52 PM

I made the size of the dock smaller (about 20% level), and started using the magnification (mid-level). It takes away the lagginess completely as long ad I don't add to many apps to the dock. Currently it works very smooth with 10 apps and two stacks.

PalacePlayers
Sep 11, 2012, 08:06 AM
I am leaning towards this being a software problem, that has little to do with the hardware. As pointed out in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1437398), some heavy apps like Aparture runs smooth like silky butter, while apps like Mail, iTunes and Safari lags like hell. Also, some sites seems to be good, while other sites are a real pain in the ass, seemingly regardless of how many pictures that is present on the page.

Examples of "bad sites"
- facebook
- www.pitchfork.com
- twitter
- web news: www.vg.no

Examples of "good sites"
- macrumors
- web news: www.nrk.no
- www.flickr.com
- www.gamereactor.no (full of pictures and ads, still smooth)

stockinvestor
Sep 11, 2012, 11:09 AM
I do not have any lag issues on my retina mac book pro.
The only issue with RMBP is that mountain lion battery time, but rumors say it will be fixed in the next patch of ml... :mad:

toadfish
Sep 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
I can make my lag go away completely by doing the following:

In system preferences>General set font smoothing to no.
(This still doesnt disable it completely)
Download tinker tool http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html and under 'Font smoothing' set it to '144 pt'

This basically completely disables the font smoothing. Now restart. Its way way faster for me but text looks like crap.

PalacePlayers
Sep 12, 2012, 03:55 PM
So can we confirm that this is a software bug, and not a graphics chip problem?

I really need to know this soon, as I have 2 days to decide if I will recieve a new retina MacBook Pro from Apple, or if I should wait for them to release a software update fixing this.

What do you guys propose I do? I will get a new rMBP completely free of charge.

toadfish
Sep 12, 2012, 04:12 PM

I really need to know this soon, as I have 2 days to decide if I will recieve a new retina MacBook Pro from Apple, or if I should wait for them to release a software update fixing this.

Its hard to say if it will be fixed in software, I have to also force my rmbp to use the discrete graphics card to get it smooth. There are just so many pixels i guess.

Kind of sounds like the text anti aliasing algorithm was not optimised for the new display. If thats the case then could be fixed in software.

MikhailT
Sep 12, 2012, 04:49 PM

There is no problem with the GPU itself, it's fine. It's an issue in OS X and the immature scaling system they're using is just not fast enough, it's still demanding too much from CPU/GPUs at the moment (the hardware is capable but the code itself isn't optimized for those hardware).

This is the first time Apple has enabled such scaling system in OS X with a Retina display, so there'll be issues and it'll take several months to optimize it.

They're already improving in each software update with better drivers.

If you can wait to get the rMBP next year and you're happy with your current system, then wait it out. It'll be much stable next year with further improvements to both the rMBP but most importantly, an optimized OS for the Retina displays.

PalacePlayers
Sep 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
There is no problem with the GPU itself, it's fine. It's an issue in OS X and the immature scaling system they're using is just not fast enough, it's still demanding too much from CPU/GPUs at the moment (the hardware is capable but the code itself isn't optimized for those hardware).

This is the first time Apple has enabled such scaling system in OS X with a Retina display, so there'll be issues and it'll take several months to optimize it.

They're already improving in each software update with better drivers.

If you can wait to get the rMBP next year and you're happy with your current system, then wait it out. It'll be much stable next year with further improvements to both the rMBP but most importantly, an optimized OS for the Retina displays.

Hm, what you say clearly makes sense, but how does the fact that some users are not experiencing the same problems fit in the picture?

Also, now my retina Mac started to make some high frequency noises when opening apps and other things like scrolling and booting the system. Clearly not sounds from the fan. Should I now MacBook and get a new one? It's one phone call away.

jffluis
Sep 12, 2012, 07:43 PM
I am leaning towards this being a software problem, that has little to do with the hardware. As pointed out in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1437398), some heavy apps like Aparture runs smooth like silky butter, while apps like Mail, iTunes and Safari lags like hell. Also, some sites seems to be good, while other sites are a real pain in the ass, seemingly regardless of how many pictures that is present on the page.

Examples of "bad sites"
- facebook
- www.pitchfork.com
- twitter
- web news: www.vg.no

Examples of "good sites"
- macrumors
- web news: www.nrk.no
- www.flickr.com
- www.gamereactor.no (full of pictures and ads, still smooth)

Another like with tons of images and runs smooth as butter.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6275/our-apple-iphone-5-live-blog

MikhailT
Sep 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hm, what you say clearly makes sense, but how does the fact that some users are not experiencing the same problems fit in the picture?

Also, now my retina Mac started to make some high frequency noises when opening apps and other things like scrolling and booting the system. Clearly not sounds from the fan. Should I now MacBook and get a new one? It's one phone call away.

Because there's a lot of confusion in that area. Some users experienced no problems at the Retina resolution (which works perfectly on my rMBP including Safari's scrolling) but I did notice some lagging at higher scaled resolutions, which is confirmed by many users as well.

I also did notice a lot of scrolling issues in Retina on Lion but that went away when I upgraded to ML. 10.8.1 included more improvements at higher resolutions for me. So, I suspect from what I heard from my buddies that I should have less lags in 10.8.2 with the higher resolutions.

As for the noise, that's not good. You should take it in if you can reproduce it and let the geniuses hear it, they'll replace your rMBP on the spot as long as it is not a custom build.

PalacePlayers
Sep 13, 2012, 08:46 AM
Because there's a lot of confusion in that area. Some users experienced no problems at the Retina resolution (which works perfectly on my rMBP including Safari's scrolling) but I did notice some lagging at higher scaled resolutions, which is confirmed by many users as well.

I also did notice a lot of scrolling issues in Retina on Lion but that went away when I upgraded to ML. 10.8.1 included more improvements at higher resolutions for me. So, I suspect from what I heard from my buddies that I should have less lags in 10.8.2 with the higher resolutions.

As for the noise, that's not good. You should take it in if you can reproduce it and let the geniuses hear it, they'll replace your rMBP on the spot as long as it is not a custom build.

Can't reproduce the sound, haven't heard it on a 12 hours now, even on heavy tasks like Aperture. Curious what the sound came from though, a brand new machine should not make sounds like that. Not trying to make this thread about my own computer, but it would be great to know if I should get a new Mac it or not. If the sound returns in a week I'm stuck with repairng it which could easily take up to a month, if not more..

On my computer I noticed some improvements when not running apps fullscreen. I'm used to running Safari and iTunes fullscreen, while mail and such is running normal desktop mode. Switching Safari and iTunes to desktop mode seemed to improve overall "fluidness" noticeably. Facebook still lags, but it seems like browsing through covers in iTunes much, much better.

However, some serious, SERIOUS lag when going Mission Control from Aperture running full screen mode. It is like black screen for over a second, before the first icon from the dock appears. Could this be explained due to Aperture being a heavy app? Running 16 GB RAM, btw.

toadfish
Sep 13, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hmm I restarted this morning, turned all my font smoothing stuff back on. No lag so far and I have all the stuff i usually have open running (Mail, iCal, Safari xCode).

I don't usually restart i just let it sleep, maybe that was causing it somehow?

PalacePlayers
Sep 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
Interesting note about scrolling through library in show album cover mode in iTunes:
When launching the app inn fullscreen mode it lags noticeably when scrolling. The faster, the more lag. However, when went out of fullscreen mode, to the normal window mode - it scrolls smooth as butter. Maybe not so weird, as there are fewer album covers on the screen.

However, what's really weird is that when maximizing the window back to fullscreen mode, the app still is smooth as butter, even though I was back to the same amount of album covers on the screen.

Haven't tested in any other apps, but I would be great any of you tried the same and reported back.