PDA

View Full Version : How did you acquire 10.8 Mountain Lion?

east85
Jul 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is just a poll. There is to be no discussion of anything related to pirating, or going into how to pirate, details, etc as per forum rules. This is simply a survey. The answers in this poll will not record your username, only poll results in numbers will be made public. :apple:

I personally purchased it from the App store. This is honestly the first OS I've purchased that wasn't included with the hardware.

Southernboyj
Jul 27, 2012, 10:41 PM
Most people will get back to you in 5 months when they get their Up to Date codes.

east85
Jul 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
Most people will get back to you in 5 months when they get their Up to Date codes.

It's kind of upsetting that slipped through the cracks on the release. I'm sure Apple concentrated a lot on a bunch of little things, making sure the release went smooth. I know a guy who works support and the launch date was one of the busiest he's ever seen. I'm sure that at least a few people are having a heart attack over that derp over at Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few people were fired.

Southernboyj
Jul 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
It's kind of upsetting that slipped through the cracks on the release. I'm sure Apple concentrated a lot on a bunch of little things, making sure the release went smooth. I know a guy who works support and the launch date was one of the busiest he's ever seen. I'm sure that at least a few people are having a heart attack over that derp over at Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few people were fired.

Busiest days? I can guarantee iOS 5 was busier, considering everyone (including myself) kept getting error codes while trying to install the OS because the servers were flooded. I had a basically bricked iPhone for a good 10 hours.

Stooby Mcdoobie
Jul 27, 2012, 10:59 PM
A developer friend gave me a copy of the GM (yeah, I know he broke the rules by doing so).

I purchased it from the App store on release day, though.

east85
Jul 27, 2012, 11:05 PM
Busiest days? I can guarantee iOS 5 was busier, considering everyone (including myself) kept getting error codes while trying to install the OS because the servers were flooded. I had a basically bricked iPhone for a good 10 hours.

Probably, still.. there's bound to be hiccups in any release.

Pompiliu
Jul 27, 2012, 11:06 PM
Via torrents.

east85
Jul 28, 2012, 12:07 AM
Via torrents.

Good luck updating. >.>

JoeG4
Jul 28, 2012, 12:11 AM
I'm still running Lion, and I won't be getting ML until later in the year.. but I votted yarr because it's hilarious :D

So what's the logic behind buying a new mac just for ML?

Pompiliu
Jul 28, 2012, 12:24 AM
Good luck updating. >.>
LOL. Why? It worked with Lion, Final Cut Pro X, etc.
Apple is to lazy to give me the redeem code, so i pirated it.
;)

east85
Jul 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
;)

Ohh okay. :P

bembol
Jul 28, 2012, 12:41 AM
I bought my new 13" Air off kijiji, not sure if/how am eligible for free upgrade.

I couldn't bother dealing with it so I just purchased it off the App Store after all it's only $20.

jamesvdm
Jul 28, 2012, 12:43 AM
I waited 24 hours for my up to date code then pirated it.

Purple2012
Jul 28, 2012, 12:56 AM
I purchased a newer mac, I upgraded with a code.
Code came in less than an hour.

vinhdzn
Jul 28, 2012, 03:49 AM
YARRRR! aka still waiting

Southernboyj
Jul 28, 2012, 04:01 AM
;)

Final Cut Pro? I won't lie.. I pirated that, I can't upgrade it though, so no retina support.

Nioxic
Jul 28, 2012, 04:03 AM
as my mac is 1 year old and i understand only 3 different lines of code, i bought it in the app store :)

easiest OS upgrade ever..

although the changes are tiny.. actually very tiny for 4gb download

kemo
Jul 28, 2012, 04:09 AM

Lol, fortunately it took me just 2 hours to get the code.:cool:

torana355
Jul 28, 2012, 04:12 AM
I obtained the GM when it was released but i purchased it off the App store as soon as it was released.

Southernboyj
Jul 28, 2012, 04:16 AM
as my mac is 1 year old and i understand only 3 different lines of code, i bought it in the app store :)

easiest OS upgrade ever..

although the changes are tiny.. actually very tiny for 4gb download

Wasn't an OTA update, you had to redownload the whole OS I believe.

hafr
Jul 28, 2012, 04:32 AM
I tried DP 2 and 3, and was very excited. So as soon as it was released, I bought it off Mac App Store. I felt 20 dollars was worth it, since pirating software, for me, is a question of money. I think even at 40 dollars I would have pirated it to be honest.

manunited
Jul 28, 2012, 04:51 AM
Took forever to get the code (50 hours), but I waited it out. :o

Elven
Jul 28, 2012, 04:52 AM
Just bought it, I like knowing I am within my rights as a consumer with my OS.

JulianMcC
Jul 28, 2012, 05:01 AM
Signed up to the update program, did not get my code the same day, granted i live in a completely different time zone, got home from work tonight, checked my email, code arrived when I arrived at work this morning, i'll test it at my leasure, after all the code does not expire.

gjvon
Jul 28, 2012, 05:09 AM
I obtained the GM when it was released but i purchased it off the App store as soon as it was released.

This

SpyderBite
Jul 28, 2012, 05:21 AM
I got mine via up to date upgrade the day after the release as I was one of those with a bum code & had to wait 24 hours for a replacement code.

throAU
Jul 28, 2012, 06:07 AM
developer, got my code on day of golden master release.

mabaker
Jul 28, 2012, 06:37 AM
Apple users take the freedom for granted that they have. I could have torrented it but having the convenience to install it from anywhere to any number of Macs does it for me. Besides 15,99 is a steal. Literally.

iPusch
Jul 28, 2012, 07:37 AM
after like ages I finally got my up to date code and I could upgrade my lovely MacBook Pro Retina <3 :)

NF3RNO
Jul 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
I was ready to return my rMBP due to sluggishness, but heard ML would fix most if not all my problems. Therefore I bought it the day it came out, and now my Mac runs smooth. When I Finally received the up-to-date code, I then emailed support to credit me for buying a duplicate, and they did!!

RoelJuun
Jul 28, 2012, 09:04 AM
Bought it in the app store. It is an amazing time that within 30 minutes after clicked on 'buy app' the OS was downloaded AND installed.

gotanimac
Jul 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
Torrent.

I'm not paying for an incremental service pack.

east85
Jul 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
Apple users take the freedom for granted that they have. I could have torrented it but having the convenience to install it from anywhere to any number of Macs does it for me. Besides 15,99 is a steal. Literally.

I completely agree.

throAU
Jul 28, 2012, 02:18 PM
Torrent.

I'm not paying for an incremental service pack.

Then don't, and stick on 10.6.x or 10.7.x.

Oh what's that? There's some new feature you want?

Nepse
Jul 28, 2012, 02:20 PM
Registered on the uptodate site, then I read that it would be locked the serial nr (Dont know if its true though) of my new MBA, so I bought it since I would have to for the other 2 macs anyway. The price is steal though!

Also, my uptodate email didnt arrive untill today :confused: Glad I didnt wait.

vmachiel
Jul 28, 2012, 02:20 PM
Mac app store at day one! Yeah:)

hafr
Jul 28, 2012, 03:40 PM

No, figurative expressions aren't literal.

Faux Carnival
Jul 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
From a "friend" if you know what I mean. ;) and for your information, updates work.

doh123
Jul 28, 2012, 04:56 PM
anyone who was invited into the AppleSeed (http://appleseed.apple.com/) test ended up getting free copies too... non-Developers but they still got it. Most people don't have a clue what AppleSeed is though since its invite only by Apple.

Richard Peters
Jul 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
I made a slight error. I have been out of the country and only got home yesterday and remembered ML had been released, so I went straight to the app store and purchased it. Then realised afterwards that because I picked up a 2012 MBA just after they were released, I was eligible to get a free upgrade.

Oops! :rolleyes::D

hafr
Jul 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
I made a slight error. I have been out of the country and only got home yesterday and remembered ML had been released, so I went straight to the app store and purchased it. Then realised afterwards that because I picked up a 2012 MBA just after they were released, I was eligible to get a free upgrade.

Oops! :rolleyes::D

Talk to Apple's support, others have gotten their money back for having bought ML despite being eligible for a free upgrade. Two minutes to type an e-mail, twenty bucks is pretty good pay for that ;)

incriminati
Jul 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
I bought it, then got a refund cause I have an eligible Mac.

krspkbl
Jul 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
Bought it on Wednesday...exciting eh? :p

If anyone pirates this OS then they are just being real cheap. It's 13.99...you can't really complain. It's really made my (almost) 4 year old MacBook feel like a brand new machine. I'd have paid double or triple.

Faux Carnival
Jul 29, 2012, 12:39 AM
Bought it on Wednesday...exciting eh? :p

If anyone pirates this OS then they are just being real cheap. It's 13.99...you can't really complain. It's really made my (almost) 4 year old MacBook feel like a brand new machine. I'd have paid double or triple.

You can't be serious. In Windows, this would be a free service pack at most... You guys are really blinded by Apple. Triple the money for a new dock?!?

doh123
Jul 29, 2012, 12:44 AM
You can't be serious. In Windows, this would be a free service pack at most... You guys are really blinded by Apple. Triple the money for a new dock?!?

please show any service pack that MS has done thats even close to Apple's new OS in changes.... because there aren't any. Apple does updates too that are free that are closer to a "service pack" but this isn't one of those for sure. WHen the OS needs updates, Apple does updates.. they don't store them all up and make you wait for a "service pack" they do smaller updates more often... which are free of course.

Synergie
Jul 29, 2012, 01:01 AM
I have a brand new macbook pro 13" Ci7 model and had the free upgrade, however I was stupid and paid for it via the app store. Realizing my mistake after the fact, I contacted Apple and explained what I had done and that I felt really silly having done that. They refunded the purchase price to my credit card.

Faux Carnival
Jul 29, 2012, 01:51 AM
please show any service pack that MS has done thats even close to Apple's new OS in changes.... because there aren't any. Apple does updates too that are free that are closer to a "service pack" but this isn't one of those for sure. WHen the OS needs updates, Apple does updates.. they don't store them all up and make you wait for a "service pack" they do smaller updates more often... which are free of course.

List the changes in Mountain Lion from largest to smallest please. (In your opinion)

Other than some design changes and features taken directly from iOS, I don't see anything significant.

doh123
Jul 29, 2012, 03:42 AM
List the changes in Mountain Lion from largest to smallest please. (In your opinion)

Other than some design changes and features taken directly from iOS, I don't see anything significant.

Their main list is right here...
http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html
This doesn't include things that most people would not look at... like changes and improvements to the Kernel, and Frameworks/APIs.

bartelby
Jul 29, 2012, 03:44 AM
10% of people stole something worth $20? :eek:

hafr
Jul 29, 2012, 05:20 AM

The switch from Lion to Mountain Lion feels like a bigger change than switching from Vista to Win 7 did though.

bushido
Jul 29, 2012, 05:25 AM
theres an option missing

east85
Jul 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
theres an option missing

Which one might that be? The invite by Apple system mentioned?

Anyways I'm surprised at how many people didn't pirate this version. It's actually good to see the low numbers on that front.

spriter
Jul 29, 2012, 10:36 AM
Took 5 days to get the code from the MBA I bought last month. Even if it wasn't a free upgrade, I'd have bought it given the price.

Major.Robto
Jul 29, 2012, 11:13 AM
Yaaarh!

I piarted it when it was released as a GM

and I'm an average joe user,

Well I can repair it if I break it, I know the average amount to repair a system. well reformat., XD

But I was surprised at how well everything worked out

maril1111
Jul 29, 2012, 11:16 AM
Using the app store just as i have done with lion..

ggpike
Jul 29, 2012, 11:22 AM
I bought it for my 2010 17" MBP and got it for free for my wife's 21" iMac. Luckily the code was emailed almost instantaneously when I registered the iMac.

luvskot
Jul 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
I have a Macbook Pro 13 and a Macbook Air 11.6. I got the free upgrade with the Air, but bought the Pro in May so I'll have to pay for ML. I applied for the free upgrade on my Air late Wednesday evening, and got the codes about 48 hours later.

I haven't even tried to install ML yet on my Air. To be honest, I'm very new to Mac computers, and I'm still struggling with the switch from PC to Mac. I've read a few posts about ML that worry me, because if something goes wrong, I won't have a clue how to fix it!

For now, I'm patiently waiting and watching. I don't feel there's any hurry because both my Mac's are behaving just splendidly. :)

jlrathke
Jul 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Picked up the GM out in the Bay to give it a try on my MBP running Snow Leopard. I liked it and purchased it through the app store on release day upgrading my mini and doing a clean install on my MBP.

Jerry

Major.Robto
Jul 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
I have a Macbook Pro 13 and a Macbook Air 11.6. I got the free upgrade with the Air, but bought the Pro in May so I'll have to pay for ML. I applied for the free upgrade on my Air late Wednesday evening, and got the codes about 48 hours later.

I haven't even tried to install ML yet on my Air. To be honest, I'm very new to Mac computers, and I'm still struggling with the switch from PC to Mac. I've read a few posts about ML that worry me, because if something goes wrong, I won't have a clue how to fix it!

For now, I'm patiently waiting and watching. I don't feel there's any hurry because both my Mac's are behaving just splendidly. :)

To be honest you should be fine, there is nothing truly changed, The OS is the exact same, a few small minor changes but the os is the same.

THe only thing you may face a problem with is vm fusion \ paraless because the latest verson is not redy yet

There still is no verson of VM fully compatable with 10.7!

I just went with virtual box because its free and it works. I run a few priavete servers and use use virtual box.

NewAnger
Jul 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
Good luck updating. >.>

Newsgroups and updates work perfectly. Apple has no way of knowing where you got your copy once installed and so updates install without question.

Also, my used 2010 MB came with Lion installed so I never paid for it either.

luvskot
Jul 29, 2012, 11:55 AM
I'm trying to understand what advantage ML has for me. I'm a writer so I do mostly word processing and research on the web. I've read a few posts about how ML might increase "snappiness" but geez, both my Macs are far "snappier" than any PC I've owned. I'm sure I'll get ML eventually, but for now I'm still waiting. When I received my upgrade codes, I was under the impression that they never expire, but when I read Apple's up-to-date program page, I got the impression I only had thirty days. But since were talking only $20 for the upgrade, I guess it doesn't matter. :apple:

TheMTtakeover
Jul 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Then don't, and stick on 10.6.x or 10.7.x.

Oh what's that? There's some new feature you want?

:eek:

dank414
Jul 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
It took 2 days for Apple to send me a code, I'm one happy trooper now that I got it. It feels like my rMBP reacts much better.

Major.Robto
Jul 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
Good luck updating. >.>

Apple does not care where the OS is from,

There is no way on telling if it was off a install usb or off a torrent or anything,

Even if apple did they would not care, you know why,
They sell the OS for 20bucks, they make so much more on the computer.

I doubt they honislty care that much,

They made it easy to get so even people who regulary pirate can also have a afordabley way to get a OS,
\

TheMTtakeover
Jul 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
I'm trying to understand what advantage ML has for me. I'm a writer so I do mostly word processing and research on the web. I've read a few posts about how ML might increase "snappiness" but geez, both my Macs are far "snappier" than any PC I've owned. I'm sure I'll get ML eventually, but for now I'm still waiting. When I received my upgrade codes, I was under the impression that they never expire, but when I read Apple's up-to-date program page, I got the impression I only had thirty days. But since were talking only $20 for the upgrade, I guess it doesn't matter. :apple:

maybe it doesn't? Although I'm sure you do more than open a web browser and a writing program. I found there a few small helpful things in ML. But if you have free upgrade code you might as well upgrade.

east85
Jul 30, 2012, 12:42 AM
I'm surprised Apple didn't implement something to stave off freeloaders this go around. I mean they could have easily tied updates to your App store Apple ID, I guess that's really not a concern. By the looks of this poll they're raking in the dough anyways.