Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBigK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Hello,

I upgraded my iMac from Lion to OS X Mountain Lion by downloading the update from App store. Now, I wish to install the update on my MacBook and do not want to download the whole 4GB dump again.

The problem is I'm unable to locate "Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.app" in the /Applications folder.

The search does not locate the file either. I'm wondering whether the installer app is automatically destroyed once the install is completed.

Is there any way I can get the installer back? :rolleyes:

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Hello,

I upgraded my iMac from Lion to OS X Mountain Lion by downloading the update from App store. Now, I wish to install the update on my MacBook and do not want to download the whole 4GB dump again.

The problem is I'm unable to locate "Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.app" in the /Applications folder.

The search does not locate the file either. I'm wondering whether the installer app is automatically destroyed once the install is completed.

Is there any way I can get the installer back? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately it auto deletes itself.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Thanks. Checking.

Damn! So I need a copy, I need to download it once again. Why'd Apple do that? :confused:

Most users never need it again. Those are also the users who don't really know much about computing. Apple just helps them by deleting it for them and reducing the used space on their macs.
For future reference create a bootable drive before you update.

MacNestor

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
a soon you finished downloading Mountain Lion from apple store,
stop!! there! don't do nothing also

start searching the application Mountain Lion once is showing up, make a copy to an other external hard drive.
and then you can use it again ;)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
There are many webpages giving instructions of how to make a boot disk for a flash drive with the installer on it, which you make from the installer app.

It's worth making one of these -- in the rare event that you ever need to reinstall the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.