PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.9 wishlist

Tar Sniffer
Jul 28, 2012, 07:33 AM
Now that Mountain Lion has been released what new features do you expect/wish to see in the next version of OS X?

This post may seem premature given that 10.8 just arrived, but since Apple are moving to a yearly release cycle we can expect 10.9 to already be in development.

Please do not discuss cat names.

freedevil
Jul 28, 2012, 07:38 AM
Why don't we enjoy 10.8 first and live in the present?

2ndchancephones
Jul 28, 2012, 07:38 AM
I would expect for icloud to mature some more. It isn't very usable right now when compared to Sugar Sync, Dropbox etc

PurpleLogix
Jul 28, 2012, 07:41 AM
efi32

NotAdvisable
Jul 28, 2012, 07:42 AM
I reckon either OS X 10.9 will be quite low on the new feature count; or we might see some OS X 11 action?

Tar Sniffer
Jul 28, 2012, 08:01 AM

Theres no harm in looking ahead. Despite the performance improvements in 10.8 I've noticed that it has received criticism for being 'underwhelming' feature wise, so I'm curious about what people are wanting to see. Also, it will be interesting to see how accurate our predictions were a year from now

Now that Reminders, Notes, Messages and Game Centre have been added theres not many more iOS features they could add without fundamentally changing the way OS X operates. I wouldn't be surprised if they included Apple's new Maps App.

Cougarcat
Jul 28, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'd like to see:
-3D Maps app
-Siri
-Make the new tab navigation feature in Safari show ALL the tabs when you pinch in an expose view, rather than the swiping UI we have now.
-iCloud Documents overhaul. Get rid of the silly iOS interface. Allow for fully nested folders, and let me see all the documents that the app can open, rather than just what the app created.
-Signs of a new filesystem in the works.
-Pull-to-refresh in Safari and Mail.
-Weather widget in notifications
-Dictation that works as you speak
-cloning functionality in disk utility

Things I don't think apple would ever do, but would be great:
-Tabs in finder
-Color back in sidebars
-Set Library visible as default again
-iCal, Notes, Contacts looses the skeuomorphism
-Lose the sandboxing, or at least make many more entitlements so apps that had to leave the MAS can come back.
-Remove automatic termination
-all window expose as a separate view/key from mission control

I reckon either OS X 10.9 will be quite low on the new feature count; or we might see some OS X 11 action?

Every OS X release from here forward should be low on the feature count, since they're moving to yearly releases.

cocky jeremy
Jul 28, 2012, 09:20 AM
I'd like Siri added with OS X uses that iOS doesn't have. Launch applications, set local reminders, have Siri tell you when you have updates waiting in the MAS, etc. :)

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jul 28, 2012, 09:20 AM
Siri, and a uniform user interface (I'm looking at you Calender, Adressbook and Notes).

Otherwise, quite happy.

Cougarcat
Jul 28, 2012, 09:26 AM
a uniform user interface (I'm looking at you Calender, Adressbook and Notes).

Although I requested this as well, it will never happen unless the iOS apps also change. The apps are uniform, but not in the way that we want: they look the same across iOS and OS X. Since iOS is by far the more widely-used OS, apple probably thought that this kind of consistency was more important, as it gives a sense of familiarity. However, I don't think the custom UIs work nearly as well as they do on iOS.

Elven
Jul 28, 2012, 09:27 AM
I concur with Siri within OSX, I cannot wait for that to happen!.

Also for me I would like to see a few things changed within OSX.

. Ability to write and manage data on a NTFS harddrive on a network

I have heard of a modification which can be done to permit this, but I cannot afford to loose the 2TB + of data I have stored on a NTFS drive on my home network.

Cougarcat
Jul 28, 2012, 09:36 AM

That would be nice, but I think there are licensing issues preventing this. AFAIK there is no NTFS support on any non-Windows OS that isn't a hack.

Elven
Jul 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
That would be nice, but I think there are licensing issues preventing this. AFAIK there is no NTFS support on any non-Windows OS that isn't a hack.

Which is really sad, such a thing would be awesome for myself, at current I tend to use Windows 7 on bootcamp and copy things to and from within Windows.

fisherking
Jul 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
am putting together an OS X 12 wishlist, just want to be first! :D

arkmannj
Jul 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
Ability to hold down the Option key to change Sleep in the Apple Menu to Safe-Sleep / Hibernate. There are an untold number of times/reasons why I might want to manually hibernate my computer.
Filesystem enhancements / computability (ZFS?)
Better full screen support for multiple monitors. (When an app goes full screen it should only be full screen on that monitor, leaving other monitor(s) available for regular use (or more full screen apps)) i.e. if I have two monitors I should be able to have two full screen apps running.
An arrow in Finder progress bars that you can click on to see more details.
Bring back more of the server controls to the server app
More API & background enhancements (Core Audio, video, animation, etc...)
Return Quicktime to it's full glory, I'm still using Quicktime 7 a many things
I would still like Expose / Mission Control to be more like Snow-Leopard
Siri
An optional address bar for Finder Windows (and save/open dialog boxes)
iBook reader
Return functionality to Airport utility
Allow older versions of Mac OS X to be virtualized (VM Ware, etc... for Snow Leopard)
Combine Notes & Reminders into one app
Have apps install into subfolders in the Applications folder (Games, Productivity, Tools, etc...) I've tried organizing mine and many apps "freak out" so having it done by default might be the best way.
Add more supported filetypes in Quick Look (Adobe inDesign, Illustrator, etc..)
Add weather, stocks to notification center (like it is in iOS)
When you click on the date/time on the menubar it would be nice to see a monthly calendar (like you can do with iStat)
Open Source Rosetta so others can make use of it.

I love Mountain Lion but those are a few things that come to mind.

Krazy Bill
Jul 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
Make Snow Leopard available in the App Store, slap a version number of 10.9 on it and call it good.

iOrbit
Jul 28, 2012, 10:48 AM
i would like apple to tweak mission control further, and make the 'peeking' feature on the clusters work the same way it originally did in their demo. i would like the ability to close/quit apps from mission control, and close tabs in safari's mission control view of tabs.

i would like apple to fix the use of multi screens with full screen apps.

i would like apple to make the menu bar look a little bit more slicker and modern - offer a frosted glass style, that matches the new dock. i would love a smoother, silky animation that fades the menu bar menus text when switching apps, rather than just flashing, looks a bit tacky.

i'm one of the people that is all for the iOS integration. i don't want my Mac dumbed down for consumers, not a fan of that. but features like LaunchPad, i really like. as far as im concerned, they dont affect the original use of the OS, they are just there. i love them. features like Siri, Maps, etc to come to mac os would be ideal.

but i would like to see continued cloud integration, more features like the new tab view to safari, but i think they should work on the FINDER its a bit dated, finder, im sure, they could find lots of ways to make it more intuitive and fluid to browse the system.

its not easy, but i would love apple to come up with more intuitive, yet simple ways to use the OS, like when they brought spaces, and expose to the mac. i would like something new.

Saturn1217
Jul 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
wow! really nice suggestions here.

Things I would change (or at least look on improving)

-improving finder - tabs, folders always staying on top of lists etc.

-allowing the 'notification center' to be used for more things. I for example have very little use for notifications on my computer (I only need those on my phone) but I could see that slide out shade as very useful for better windows management - say all windows for a space displayed by app with minimized windows listed at the bottom etc. All in list view which is sometimes more informative than images.

-since they are always trying to bring iOS to the Mac why not take advantage of the application switcher (been on the OS forever) and make it more functional (and more easy to discover). I could see it playing a similar role as the multitasking you see on an iphone with the ability to easily close out of apps or switch to another app using a gesture (you can do this now but it is very poorly advertised)

-make gestures more customizable. Ideally gestures should be like keyboard shortcuts. There are reasonable presets but if you really want to have four finger swipe used for some specialized function (like save etc.) then you should be able to. It is ridiculous that I can't reset the gestures back to the way they are in snow leopard without BetterTouchTools.

ajvizzgamer101
Jul 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
Siri, Maps, More Stability...

Mountain Lion is basically the perfect OS IMO.

MasterHowl
Jul 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
It would be good to be able to tick off reminders in notification centre, and even make new ones. Same goes for calendar events. Just a little "+" sign on the little "Calendar" and "Reminders" bar!

haravikk
Jul 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
I dunno about Siri; personally I find the dictation feature in Mountain Lion to be a poor implementation, as all Macs should be capable of doing the processing locally, rather than having to ship it off somewhere. Particularly since Macs had pretty good local voice recognition for a very long time.
If they could make it some kind of local feature, and also let apps include plugins to extend it then it could be a truly killer feature. Siri as it is on iOS I could take or leave; it makes sense for the mobile platform but just isn't good enough for a full blown computer.

CoreStorage
Personally I want to see more from CoreStorage; support for pooled storage, along with integrity checking, error correction and redundancy handling. I could see a Time Machine 2.0 being brilliant if external drives were simply added to a pool with the internal ones, with block-level snapshots providing fast historic backup data, and the Time Machine interface managing it all… would be a dream come true.
Also some extras like CoreStorage compression (handled just like encryption), and the ability to designate faster drives as read-caches… it'd allow CoreStorage to be a properly serious contender as a volume manager. Plus it would allow Apple to then switch to a new HFS Lite, focusing on implementing a modern file-system with native hard-linking etc., without having to worry about anything that CoreStorage can do for them instead.

Usability/Window and App Management
Proper improvements to Mission Control and Fullscreen are a must; fluid support for multiple monitors (with gestures) and a smoother mission control experience so we can get the benefits of grouping while still being able to quickly drill down to the window we need.

The whole area of window switching needs more attention and more refinements to make things even more touch friendly, but also keep things friendly for us non-touch users; special gestures are all well and good, but many interfaces shouldn't need them in the first place.

LaunchPad could use some more innovative improvements. Personally I find the current grid very wasteful and not all that useful. What would be even better would be if it displayed icons at bigger sizes the more frequently used they are (think like a tag cloud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud)). And even go one better by grouping icons so that apps that are frequently used together will be closer. All to make apps easier to get to, without the need to swipe around at all. Organised, swiping pages would still be needed, but with the tag-cloud style jumping off point your system would "learn" what you use the most and make it easier to get to.

Consistency
A return to uniform apps would be on my wish-list as well, though seemingly very unlikely. I absolutely hate the custom appearances for Notes, Reminders etc., as it completely kills the idea of a uniform, consistent interface. I absolutely blame iTunes for that, but while flashy appearances might be a nice novelty, I'd rather have usability and consistency become the focus once more.

Finder
Redesigned Finder! I still hate the Finder as much I did in OS X 10.0, but at this stage I suspect Apple would rather get rid of it for iCloud instead. Still, there are so many small improvements that could be made to make it so much more fluid. I'd also kill for a combined columns and icons navigation mode, where only the current folder is display as icons while higher levels get shunted to the left as a column. Give it a more touch-friendly sizing on the lists and it could scream as a touch interface.

Dashboard 2.0
I'd also love to see a big revamp to the Dashboard; widgets in the Mac App Store, a Resume like feature to allow them to free up resources when not in use, perhaps combined with notifications/events. Return to the interface being an overlay by default rather than the current, completely useless, default of it being its own Space/fullscreen app. Perhaps even make a focus on Dashboard widgets "docking" with the edges of a screen, to make the Dashboard overlay more content-focused, keeping widgets as the mini-programs that supplement your main apps, rather than distracting from them or simply being different.

When it comes down to it, widgets could be like notification centre on steroids, giving you a custom tailored view of your system, while also giving you quick access to useful tools. A concept of spaces within Dashboard, either giving you separate dashboards for each space, or the ability to swipe between a set of dashboards could be incredibly useful, allowing you to swipe from your social overview dashboard to your programming tools dashboard etc. It's a feature that I was glad to see when it arrived, but have been sad to see it so neglected ever since.

Tander
Jul 28, 2012, 12:35 PM

Exactly. 10.8 is still new - relax!

CyBeRino
Jul 28, 2012, 12:39 PM

NTFS is not a network filesystem. Therefore, to use it over a network, no support for it is required on the client side.

The server side must support NTFS and then each must know to speak a network protocol to share the files. For instance, AFP, SMB or NFS.

throAU
Jul 28, 2012, 12:42 PM
- Siri on the desktop
- Current version OpenGL support
- ability to force integrated video only on battery
- cool/quiet mode (in power management somewhere) to stop my fans sounding like a turbine when turbo kicks in on apps that i'd be happy to run more slowly.
- full screen mode to work on both monitors
- ZFS. yes i know the background story. i still want it.

ArchieNL
Jul 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
- Smooth Airplay operating when streaming movies to my AppleTV which are not in Itunes.

- Extend my desktop or 'only 1 app' share on Airplay in stead or mirroring.

yeah
Jul 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
I'd like to see:
-3D Maps app
-Siri
-Make the new tab navigation feature in Safari show ALL the tabs when you pinch in an expose view, rather than the swiping UI we have now.
-iCloud Documents overhaul. Get rid of the silly iOS interface. Allow for fully nested folders, and let me see all the documents that the app can open, rather than just what the app created.

Things I don't think apple would ever do, but would be great:
-Tabs in finder
-Color back in sidebars
-Set Library visible as default again
-iCal, Notes, Contacts looses the skeuomorphism
-Lose the sandboxing, or at least make many more entitlements so apps that had to leave the MAS can come back.
-Remove automatic termination
-all window expose as a separate view/key from mission control

Every OS X release from here forward should be low on the feature count, since they're moving to yearly releases.

There is already cloning in Disk Utility, just click the drive you want to clone, click the restore tab, drag Macintosh HD (or your main partition) into the "source" field. Then drag the volume or partition that you want your main partition to be copied to into the "destination" area. Then click restore (this will erase all contents off of the volume or partition).

concernedone
Jul 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
Make Snow Leopard available in the App Store, slap a version number of 10.9 on it and call it good.

lol.. same sentiments there! I thought Lion was bad... ML=many many more problems.. at least from what I am experiencing
I do enjoy that they have imessages but not so many bugs please

trustme
Jul 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
I bet if they decide to add Siri it'll probably only be compatible with the newest laptops that come out that year. SMH.

concernedone
Jul 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
I bet if they decide to add Siri it'll probably only be compatible with the newest laptops that come out that year. SMH.

no doubt no doubt about it! I'm not sure this is final yet---
but I think siri will not be available for the iPad 2 eventho it's almost the same as iPad3's internals when ios 6 launches. sigh*

Cougarcat
Jul 28, 2012, 03:09 PM
There is already cloning in Disk Utility, just click the drive you want to clone, click the restore tab, drag Macintosh HD (or your main partition) into the "source" field. Then drag the volume or partition that you want your main partition to be copied to into the "destination" area. Then click restore (this will erase all contents off of the volume or partition).

I meant CCC or SuperDuper-level cloning functionality.

pepede
Jul 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
Improve performance a lot, fix all known issues

chriscrk
Jul 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
Someone already mentioned it, but I'd like them to add iBooks to OS X.
I only have an iPod atm to read my books, and it gets uncomfortable some times. Being able to read my books on my Mac would be great! :)

And obviously with the same/similar multitouch interface as it has on iOS.

doh123
Jul 28, 2012, 05:07 PM
if this is for wishes... heck, I'll wish for DirectX support :-)

slrandall
Jul 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
- ability to force integrated video only on battery

Google gfxCardStatus.

bedifferent
Jul 28, 2012, 06:20 PM
- Actual multiple display support (especially full-screen app's on more than one display)

- Better OpenGL Core support

- Improved Finder (read re: ZFS threads, Apple explored it in Leopard but dropped for many reasons, although it could still be implemented and extremely helpful for OS X)

- Return full "Time Machine" support for "iPhoto" (allow individual photo's/albums/events to be recovered within the app as Mail/Contacts does and OS X used to allow)

- Grid 10.5/6 Spaces ("TotalSpaces" is a great fix for 10.8)

- Combine multiple iTunes accounts into ONE (a bit off-topic)

- Support for other media codecs (ex avi, yes, it is Windows based however there are instances in which avi files are shared and need to be used in iMovie or FCP, and yet need to be transcoded, which may impact quality)

- SATA III (H/W based, yes, but sorely needed)

I'm sure there are many I am forgetting, but that's enough for the moment :)

dbyway
Jul 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
I wish that you could copy text when previewing documents in Finder.

q64ceo
Jul 29, 2012, 04:11 AM
As long as they dont follow Microsoft and the disaster Windows 8 is gonna be, I will be content with OS X 10.9

Jul 29, 2012, 06:12 AM
Just change pretty much everything in order to make it a TRUE desktop experience again.

Revamped Finder, consistent UI paradigms, new file system, less iOS crap, widespread video codec support, full compliance with Internet standards, full multithread-multicore support for all Apple applications, latest GPU drivers, latest OpenGL support, no more mouse polling rate issues etc. etc. etc.

And yeah, a REVAMPED Finder - or at least buy xTraFinder, PathFinder or TotalFinder for that matter.

nuckinfutz
Jul 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
I would expect for icloud to mature some more. It isn't very usable right now when compared to Sugar Sync, Dropbox etc

150 million people would say otherwise.
--------

I'd like to see in no particular order.

1. New filesystem optimized for today's SSD and faster storage architectures and mobile devices (lightweight, fast, anti corruption etc)

2. Map Kit on OS X - for easy integration of Map data

3. Sandbox friendly sharing framework (iOS as well)

4. Airplay everywhere. Quicktime Player, Safari, Quick Look etc

5. iSCSI initiator- :rolleyes:

6. Siri

7. Tagging.

8. Dual Pane Finder

9. iOS apps support (Virtualized)

10. Front Row replacement for turning a Mac into a HTPC

TheMTtakeover
Jul 29, 2012, 12:08 PM
I'd like to see:

-Tabs in finder

This would be so nice.

----------

As long as they dont follow Microsoft and the disaster Windows 8 is gonna be, I will be content with OS X 10.9

How is windows 8 a disaster? I've 0 issues with and I've been running it sincee the Developer Preview.

Jul 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
This would be so nice.

----------

How is windows 8 a disaster? I've 0 issues with and I've been running it sincee the Developer Preview.

Just download the free xTraFinder and get those tabs; Apple is probably too busy prioritizing iOS to do anything relevant with OS X...;)

TheMTtakeover
Jul 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
Just download the free xTraFinder and get those tabs; Apple is probably too busy prioritizing iOS to do anything relevant with OS X...;)

I saw many aleternative or additives to the finder, I'll stick with it how it is for now though. I see you post alot. Do you think apple plans to kill OSX for iOS? (Don't this as an attack, I'm legit asking you for you Opinion.)
Also you seem pretty unahppy with apple and OS X, have you considered switching to Win or Linux?

Icy1007
Jul 29, 2012, 01:44 PM

That would be a step backwards. Actually, that would be two steps backwards.

Reach9
Jul 29, 2012, 02:00 PM
A totally revamped iTunes...please.

More enhancements to the UI to make it feel like a real update? And a fully functional Siri.

Krazy Bill
Jul 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
Also you seem pretty unahppy with apple and OS X, have you considered switching to Win or Linux?

If anyone would make a PC notebook that has the quality and trackpad functionality a macbook has... I'd be all over it in a heartbeat and dump OSX. (And no, bootcamping windows exclusively on a mac ain't the same).

Just speaking for me mind you.

haravikk
Jul 29, 2012, 02:02 PM
One other thing I'd like to see is a kind of Grand Central Dispatch for networking; some kind of simplified way to create and manage connections that leaves most of the work up to the OS.

I know the Objective-C libraries give some pretty good asynchronous connection support, and a few specialised cases for HTTP and such that make it simple enough on the programming side, but all the work is still done by threads in the process which seems fairly wasteful.

If you could just give up your connections to the OS, leaving it to manage the threads that grab and dispatch data as it arrives/sends then it could allow networking to be a smoother overall experience. Particularly if the OS is then able to better manage your bandwidth, rather than the current method of just going as fast as possible until a router or other piece of network hardware slows you down. Could be especially interesting if it were able to invisibly combine connections to the same remote machines, while appearing as separate connections to the application(s).

It maybe wouldn't be too revolutionary in the grand scheme of things, but considering practically everything is online these days it seems a waste to have each app with its own thread(s) for connections. In the ideal world all thread management would be done by the OS, with apps just being a collection of Grand Central blocks waiting to be queued, with network connections essentially doing the same thing :)

Jul 29, 2012, 03:42 PM
I saw many aleternative or additives to the finder, I'll stick with it how it is for now though. I see you post alot. Do you think apple plans to kill OSX for iOS? (Don't this as an attack, I'm legit asking you for you Opinion.)

1 - I only post a lot when special events happen and I have some time during the weekends to do so - I have been particularly active for the launch of ML because I am really disappointed with the non-improvements there;

2 - I sincerely believe Apple is seriously considering a merge between iOS and OS X, and perhaps a full-scale streamlining of chipsets when ARM becomes sufficiently powerful. In any case, we should still have OS X 10.9 or perhaps a final OS XI. It won't go further than that;

3 - You should see my post history to realize that, barring a complete Apple disaster, I will NEVER migrate to anything like Windows or Linux. I have converted more than 15 people to Mac (and they are not looking back) and will happily continue to do so because I am still sure of the superiority of the Mac ensemble against crappy Windows boxes and nonintuitive Linux setups. I started using Apple devices in the late 80s and used Macs (a Quadra 605) when everyone else proclaimed Apple dead in the mid- to late 90s. For me it's about the philosophy of the company and the overall quality/clean lines of its products - once this is over, then and only then will I consider switching to anything else

Having said the above, I am totally critical of Apple's current iOSification of OS X, as well as the overall lack of innovation since Snow Leopard was launched. Nowadays, it's all about "optimizations" and inclusion of existing iOS features, while the company leaves behind long-needed improvements in things such as UI consistency, file system, Finder, codecs, video/OpenGL support or even basic visual cues like spinning wheels for loading processes in Mail or Safari.

Worse, we don't see ANY signs of thinking outside the box and coming up with the next best desktop experience for personal computers. It's time for Forstall and Federighi to go, and bring back Serlet and Tevanian...

Nioxic
Jul 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
i think icloud could use some update. i'd like to be able to use it like dropbox... so far i only use icloud for my iphone backup and some fotostream stuff, that i never use anyway... while my dropbox is full

Tech198
Jul 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
Isn't this a bit early ? I've not got over how good Mountain Lion is yet.

Maybie it wiulld come (hopefuilly before 10.9), but launch to full screen apps.

*fingers crossed*

concernedone
Jul 29, 2012, 06:38 PM
1 - I only post a lot when special events happen and I have some time during the weekends to do so - I have been particularly active for the launch of ML because I am really disappointed with the non-improvements there;

Worse, we don't see ANY signs of thinking outside the box and coming up with the next best desktop experience for personal computers. It's time for Forstall and Federighi to go, and bring back Serlet and Tevanian...

If anyone would make a PC notebook that has the quality and trackpad functionality a macbook has... I'd be all over it in a heartbeat and dump OSX. (And no, bootcamping windows exclusively on a mac ain't the same).

Just speaking for me mind you.

@ Krazy Bill: have you seen Zenbooks or ultrabooks? they look really slick. I always go and look at them at best buy lol.

I have the very similar sentiment to you both. Linux is NOT user friendly, it's still largely CLI as oppose to a full GUI like windows and osx.

I think I will switch back to Windows 7 for a while. iOS is great for iPads and iPhones but the quality of OSX (right now) is not up to par when compared to Win7 (seriously, once you used them both many times, you'll know.. but if you used osx for a LONG time, it might takes some time to get used to windows but it's worth it.)
YES, the inconsistent UI elements in osx bothered me. I guess I'll only use OSX for iOS development.

Flyerflyer
Jul 29, 2012, 08:35 PM
Save as

Cougarcat
Jul 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
Save as

Option-click on the File menu.

Asclepio
Jul 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
10.8?
it's better call it 10.7.5!

cocky jeremy
Jul 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
-Tabs in finder

They should just buy and integrate TotalFinder and be done with it. It would be cheap, revamp Finder, and bring in new talent.

A totally revamped iTunes...please.

More enhancements to the UI to make it feel like a real update? And a fully functional Siri.
I hope we see a revamped iTunes well before 10.9 next year. Hopefully this fall.

throAU
Jul 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
Google gfxCardStatus.

Aware of it, currently run it - i want it built into the OS, rather than an application that sometimes wigs out and forces integrated while on battery depending on what application you open or close.

jtcedinburgh
Jul 30, 2012, 04:59 AM
I'd like to see them finally putting the Finder out to pasture, or just putting it down really. After all, it's clunky, awkward, quirky and occasionally fragile.

Something a bit better such as Path Finder (Apple, you could do worse than spend some of your billions by acquiring PF...) would do the trick...

Other than that? Well, I always find Mac -> non Mac networking a bit fiddly, so making that a bit more reliable and perhaps introducing an easy way to 'pin down' a network share on a permanent basis (cf. 'mapping a network drive' in Windows) would be useful. As would fixing it so that a non-responsive network resource doesn't cause beachballs...

Icaras
Jul 30, 2012, 05:18 AM
Too many good suggestions have been posted so I'll just like to add a couple of apps i'd like to see...

Videos, Music, Photos, Podcasts, iTunes U, and iBooks individual apps to mirror iOS would be great, while dismantling the iTunes app to just be the portal to the store.

Hardcore OSX users may cry blasphemy but I've grown quite accustomed to managing my media this way across my iOS devices and I find it simpler this way. This could also be a great opportunity to break down iTunes from the bloated app that it is and to put more focus on the different types of media libraries users manage.

haravikk
Jul 30, 2012, 06:20 AM
I want to see improvements to the Finder, but I don't think acquiring one of the Finder replacements is the way to go, as most are not in line with Apple's philosophy at all, as they offer tons of functionality that makes things easier once you've learned it all, but Apple has always preferred clean, simple and intuitive. Not that they always get it right, but I don't think that swapping the Finder for something more complex is a good idea.

I'm sure there must be a better direction for the Finder, without having to over complicate it. At the very least it's surprising that Apple hasn't really done much to make a truly touch-friendly Finder. And with the big push for iCloud integration it's strange that the Finder doesn't have any proper iCloud integration beyond spotlight searching; as it'd be good to be able to more easily browse what's "in the cloud" and what's not, without having to go into specific apps, know what something is called, or create a smart folder across your mobile documents (which isn't something we should really rely on).

The Finder could really do with getting the iOS browser treatment with the ability to do drag-and-drop folder creation, but at the same time push the iOS side forward with support for nested folders. Swiping and dragging between tabs (done a bit more like iOS panes), and the option to dock Finder windows together (to give you two windows side-by-side) could make for a very fluid and flexible interface. For example; drag a Finder window onto another to add it as a tab, or drag it against the side of another to dock them into one.

Could be a very powerful mechanism for the entire OS in fact; imagine if you could dock app-windows together so you could give yourself a combined calendar and reminders view once again, that would Fullscreen as a single window (menubar changing depending which segment is in focus).

ChristianJapan
Jul 30, 2012, 06:40 AM
Wish:
Don't render secondary screens into a grey brick because of fullscreen on main screen.

Siri would be nice,too.

tarryweather
Jul 30, 2012, 02:00 PM
Merging of Dashboard and Notification Center.

cube
Jul 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
- Real scrollbars
- Rosetta

TheMTtakeover
Aug 1, 2012, 02:40 PM

2 - I sincerely believe Apple is seriously considering a merge between iOS and OS X, and perhaps a full-scale streamlining of chipsets when ARM becomes sufficiently powerful. In any case, we should still have OS X 10.9 or perhaps a final OS XI. It won't go further than that;

3 - You should see my post history to realize that, barring a complete Apple disaster, I will NEVER migrate to anything like Windows or Linux. I have converted more than 15 people to Mac (and they are not looking back) and will happily continue to do so because I am still sure of the superiority of the Mac ensemble against crappy Windows boxes and nonintuitive Linux setups. I started using Apple devices in the late 80s and used Macs (a Quadra 605) when everyone else proclaimed Apple dead in the mid- to late 90s. For me it's about the philosophy of the company and the overall quality/clean lines of its products - once this is over, then and only then will I consider switching to anything else

Having said the above, I am totally critical of Apple's current iOSification of OS X, as well as the overall lack of innovation since Snow Leopard was launched. Nowadays, it's all about "optimizations" and inclusion of existing iOS features, while the company leaves behind long-needed improvements in things such as UI consistency, file system, Finder, codecs, video/OpenGL support or even basic visual cues like spinning wheels for loading processes in Mail or Safari.

Completely understand. I would also like to see iCloud turn into more of a traditional cloud option where I have the ability to tore any file I want there not just what Apple allows. I produce music and it would be great to be able to store my FL files up in iCloud rather than using Skydrive. But I don't want it to lose the abilities it has now just to be able to add the ability to add anything.

JohnDoe98
Aug 1, 2012, 03:38 PM
Most my wishes have been mentioned already, so I'll add this one:

Option to permanently turn off/hide the Dock.

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 1, 2012, 03:42 PM
Siri and a long over due iTunes overhaul. It's the heaviest used app with the oldest/dated GUI. Just turn the Sync app into the iphone sync capabilities from iTunes and port the iTunes iOS app over to ML.

clean up the app some.

HelveticaNeue
Aug 1, 2012, 03:42 PM
I'd like to see:
-3D Maps app
-Siri

I agreed with everything quoted above but none of your "Things I don't think Apple will do list".

I would like to see the Documents in the Cloud to add a way to separate different types of files to keep work documents separate from personal, separate from resume's, etc. Perhaps borrowing something from the Collections feature in iBooks, but better.

Other things I'd like:
iBooks for Mac, Back to my iPad (like BTMM), hiding apps in Launchpad.

EBreakingWave
Aug 1, 2012, 04:30 PM
Missed call notifications in OSX would be nice.

musio
Aug 1, 2012, 04:34 PM
RSS in mail

cooknwitha
Aug 1, 2012, 05:18 PM

Sorry to be a pedant but there won't be OS X 11. It'll be OS XI. :D

ajcadoo
Aug 1, 2012, 05:33 PM
Weather widget in Notification Center is a huge must.

Cougarcat
Aug 1, 2012, 06:32 PM

Not necessarily, OS X is the OS name, not the version number (even if it came after Mac OS 9). It's OS X version 10.8. Apple could conceivably have OS X version 11.0, but I'm guessing they won't because it would be confusing.

Mak47
Aug 1, 2012, 08:13 PM
Here's what I'd like to see:

Siri.

With the ability to open apps and files. Even better would be if Siri wakes up and greets me when she knows I'm nearby using NFC in my iPhone. Example: I walk into the studio. Siri says "Good Morning, what are we working on today?" I say "Open such and such project in Pro Tools". It opens up while I make coffee and check messages. Then I can just sit down and do my thing.

Back To My Mac for iPad...nuff said.

More iOS integration.

In order for this to happen, iOS apps like iWork, iPhoto etc need to be exact copies of what's on the Mac. There are still differences that make syncing with iCloud weaker than it should be.

Unification of similar apps.

Calendar, Reminders, Notes and Contacts could all be unified in one app called Organizer. Really, with Siri (first desired feature) there's little need to even open those apps, so why not house them in one shell that continues to sync with iCloud and notify you when necessary in Notification Center? Open the unified app to access things manually or use Siri to present you the desired info.

Browser based editing and sharing for iWork/iCloud.

Yeah, I know, this technically isn't an OS X feature. We actually almost had this with iWork.com and it was really nice. Not everybody has a Mac or runs iWork on their iOS devices. When I create something that I need additional input on iWork.com was great. I could upload the document, then share it with whoever I wanted. They could view it in their web browser regardless of the machine they were using.

Microsoft has Skydrive, which offers editing in the browser. This would be an excellent feature for iWork as well, that would help overcome some market penetration deficiencies.

I can't really think of anything else that would be a big deal for me. I'm sure other ideas will come up as ML sees more adoption.

Sky Blue
Aug 1, 2012, 08:24 PM
Calendar, Reminders, Notes and Contacts could all be unified in one app called Organizer.

ewww no

cocky jeremy
Aug 1, 2012, 08:36 PM

I don't think so. I think it'll be OS X 10.10, 10.11, etc.

DaffyDuck
Aug 1, 2012, 09:18 PM
1. Merging folders. Come on already!
2. Run lid closed. Power nap doesn't do it for me and the 3rd party utilities that allow it are crap.

ivnj
Aug 1, 2012, 09:25 PM
I can't think of anything. I know maybe bring back classic mode.

doh123
Aug 1, 2012, 09:30 PM
1. Merging folders. Come on already!
already added in Mountain Lion... I just took this screen shot as a test.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4486028/Screen%20Shot%202012-08-01%20at%209.28.13%20PM.PNG

2. Run lid closed. Power nap doesn't do it for me and the 3rd party utilities that allow it are crap.
it already runs with the lid closed.. no 3rd party software needed... whats missing there? Powernap is nothing to do with that and can run even wit the lid up.

Jb07
Aug 1, 2012, 09:42 PM
For Apple to stop making OS X like iOS. I want a computer, not a giant iPad.

DaffyDuck
Aug 1, 2012, 09:42 PM
already added in Mountain Lion... I just took this screen shot as a test.
Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4486028/Screen%20Shot%202012-08-01%20at%209.28.13%20PM.PNG)

it already runs with the lid closed.. no 3rd party software needed... whats missing there? Powernap is nothing to do with that and can run even wit the lid up.

I'll have to test it again but I remember it not showing the options when moving stuff around on my NAS.

As for lid closed, I should have mentioned I want to do this without plugging in an external monitor and keyboard. I don't need either of those to control it via VNC.

Mr. Retrofire
Aug 1, 2012, 09:44 PM
I meant CCC or SuperDuper-level cloning functionality.
Use ditto or asr.

Mr. Retrofire
Aug 2, 2012, 04:54 AM
- File system with SHA-512 checksums and error correction information in a separate named fork (HFS+ supports named forks).
- LZMA compressed file system. Compression is better and the decompression is faster than in zlib (deflate). Apple can use hardware accelerated checksum algorithms, instead of the LZMA format checksum algorithms.
- LZMA2 compressed Mac App Store files and updates (.pkg (XAR) files).
- LZMA2 compressed .dmg files (not only zlib and bzip2).
- Support for popular formats like MKV, FLAC...
- Two level memory compression for inactive tabs in Safari. First WKdm, then later after a few minutes zlib (deflate). Apple uses already the fast WKdm-algorithm for the "sleepimage". Mac OS X >= 10.1.5 compresses window buffers, if you do not use a certain window:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20011008024501793

clukas
Aug 2, 2012, 05:15 AM
- Real scrollbars
Why? Scrollbars are useless beyond looking ugly.
- Rosetta
Not coming back. Time to let go of the past.

Cougarcat
Aug 2, 2012, 11:13 AM
Use ditto or asr.

A command-line tool is not a replacement for SuperDuper (for most people.)

djtech42
Aug 2, 2012, 11:29 AM
From my WWDC 2013 Concept thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1400399

OS X Lynx (10.9)

Powerful. Simple. Connected.

OS X Lynx is the next generation of desktop operating systems.

-Siri:
_Set up computer by voice, control almost anything by voice
-Maps:
_Very simple and powerful directions and world exploration app using Apple's new database
-LinkedIn Integration:
_Keep track of work contacts
-ZFS File System:
_No fragmentation
-New Multitasking System:
_Apps "freeze" their state instead of quitting
_Allows for apps that are in the foreground to use more resources
_Cmd-Tab brings up recent app list
_Switching apps automatically freezes the current app
_Cmd-Q: Switch apps
_Cmd-Tab: Bring up recent app list
_Cmd-H: Run app in background (don't freeze)
_Automatic termination quits apps when system needs resources and auto save takes care of documents
-Push Notifications:
_Now available in any app
-Graphics System Overhaul:
_OpenGL 4.2
_AppleGL (supports OpenGL, but allows for more direct integration with OS X, converts DirectX to allow for easier porting of Windows games)
_Smooth scrolling architecture
_Core animation is very smooth
-iOS Dashboard:
_Run iOS apps as widgets in Dashboard
-Recent document list on desktop (mouseover apps in dock)
-Mission Control groups windows by application, but can go into all window exposé using gesture
-Return of spaces to Mission Control (button switches view to "classic" spaces view with expose)
-iMessage Voice (Leave recorded message on contact's Mac)
-iDocuments view in Finder (replaces All My Files)
-Better autocorrect suggestion system
-Music app
-Video app
-iTunes Store app
-iSync wirelessly syncs iOS devices to Mac (manages ringtones and apps)
-Mac App Store renamed to OS X App Store
-Face-based accounts
-Face Unlock
-Safari password syncing over iCloud
-System preferences and keychain syncing over iCloud
-Periodic trash emptying
-Black menu bar
-System Preferences renamed to Settings
-Access preferences of any application in Settings

Available for $19.99 on the OS X App Store in early August.

WhackyNinja
Aug 2, 2012, 03:53 PM
I would like to see Finder with Full-Screen
Its a feature I would LOVE to see in OS X 10.9 ...I wont find it useful but it could be handy to some xD

meme1255
Aug 2, 2012, 04:11 PM
The most wanted for me now & possibly possible:
1 .IMPROVE MULTI-SCREENS SUPPORT IN OS X ( UNusable under Lion/ML if in fullscreen mode
2. Skype in iMessages

Things which will never happen (probably):
1. Return to Mac OS X and not continue in ' iOS X ' strategy.
2. (I don't think that this will ever happen) WINE integration
3. Make power management even better. ( Well, I would appreciate something like Windows Power options, only thing which I miss sometimes, but that's only because I like having control over OS)

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 2, 2012, 04:14 PM

You can avoid nearly all of the iOS modules in OSX by simply not using them.

meme1255
Aug 2, 2012, 04:17 PM
You can avoid nearly all of the iOS modules in OSX by simply not using them.

For now, in my opinion.

I think that rMBP is very similar to iOS device - You can't change ANYTHING, and OS X is also starting to be like that (Gatekeeper only, for now..)

moderngamenewb
Aug 2, 2012, 06:50 PM
Tabs in the finder window, so you don't have to open up a new window every time

Siri would be a nice option

An easier option to send documents to icloud (for instance to send a pdf to icloud, you have to open it up in preview, then manually save it to icloud from preview)

iCloud to remember system preferences (I don't know if this is in there), so if you have to do a clean install at some point, iCloud can remember your system preferences

Save non app store apps to the cloud (I doubt Apple would go this route, but it'd be cool to save some downloaded apps, or apps from cds, to the cloud and not have to redownload or plug in an external drive to put them back)

More launchpad integration (be able to delete non app store apps directly from the launchpad, and when you open apps, the computer stays in launchpad mode instead of going to the main desktop. Kind of defeats the purpose of having both the dock, and launchpad)

The ability to play iPhone/iPad games straight from OS X

vlomd
Aug 2, 2012, 09:31 PM
Reinstate Native Integer Device Streaming. In OS X 10.8 ML, I cannot use this streaming anymore to play music using Pure Music/iTunes.

scores87
Aug 2, 2012, 11:26 PM
Option to remove Notification center from the right side and option to put in the dashboard

ivnj
Aug 2, 2012, 11:29 PM
Option to remove Notification center from the right side and option to put in the dashboard

Great idea.

Carl Sagan
Aug 3, 2012, 07:47 AM
Inline replies in Notification Centre would be nice.

kd5jos
Aug 3, 2012, 11:53 AM
My ideas are more of what I expect to see, than what I hope to see.

First, unification of notification center. Things that show up in the notification center on my iOS device, will likely show up on the desktop I'm using.

iOS apps will likely make an appearance for dashboard. It's a way to sneak it into the desktop, and get people use to it, just like they did with...

Siri. They will go from just voice dictation (in ML), to added voice control. People will be used to talking at their computers, and will likely expect more.

Continued migration away from file systems. There is no, none, not a snowballs chance in HELLO, iOS has no real file system (per se). Apple is migrating away from this. There will definitely be NO ZFS, and it may be time to drop Finder, the front end of the FS in exchange for Launchpad.

OS X 10.9 will be the last server OS (as we know it). They've dropped the hardware for Enterprise class service. There may be a continued Mac Mini server, but it will continue to migrate towards being a home server. Think personal cloud...

iOS will be between versions 8 and 9 by the time 10.9 comes out. When they merge, they will create OS Xi. XI is eleven in Roman numerals.

The i in Xi will reference iOS (the inevtiable combining of OS X and iOS). Apple could have some real fun and call it OS Ξ (OS Xi), the 14th letter of the greek alphabet. It also sounds like someone saying OS I.

Anyway, if I get anything right I expect everyone to send me 2.5 interweb points.

Carl Sagan
Aug 3, 2012, 01:35 PM
iOS won't be between 8 and 9 this time next year. It'll be the tail end of 6...

Tech198
Aug 3, 2012, 01:45 PM

Not really... Scroll Bars are still a necessity in todays world where you share your mac with friends who have no idea how to use a multi-tough trackpad.

2ndchancephones
Aug 3, 2012, 05:27 PM
To me, iCloud is hardly usable because of the way it handles files. Let's face it, probably 90% of the world is used to file systems working a certain way

clukas
Aug 3, 2012, 06:18 PM
Not really... Scroll Bars are still a necessity in todays world where you share your mac with friends who have no idea how to use a multi-tough trackpad.

I dont think thats a valid reason. I had my dad sit down in front of a mac for the first time in his life and he was able to work things out, even with the reverse scrolling he had no problem. He is a die hard windows user.

nuckinfutz
Aug 3, 2012, 08:24 PM
To me, iCloud is hardly usable because of the way it handles files. Let's face it, probably 90% of the world is used to file systems working a certain way

Yes but that doesn't mean they're good and creating their own methods for retrieving files. What I see the issue being is trust.

Yes trust.

It's hard to trust your computer for some things because over the years of owning them many of us have been burned by the computer screwing up and doing something bad with our data. Once bitten twice shy.

To me reliance on the file system for organization is a sign of this lack of trust and believe me I've tried to move to a more flat file structure and it's more difficult than it should be.

I'm hoping that iCloud evolves into a trustworthy tool that allows me to forget the tedium of manually managing folders and documents.

cube
Aug 4, 2012, 12:41 PM
I dont think thats a valid reason. I had my dad sit down in front of a mac for the first time in his life and he was able to work things out, even with the reverse scrolling he had no problem. He is a die hard windows user.

PROPER scrollbars are a necessity. Multitouch mice have no real buttons, so no way I'm getting one.

And I don't use the scrollwheel, too much strain.

GerritV
Aug 4, 2012, 01:48 PM

+1000
If only they would...

Zach Vega
Aug 4, 2012, 02:15 PM
A 3D Maps app and Siri would be nice. And they could bring Sherlock back, but integrate it into Safari.

ParsiKade
Aug 4, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hmm, I really like how OS X is synchronized with iOS and I want to see more in future updates. Also being able to use Siri on Mac seems to be a perfect idea.

clukas
Aug 4, 2012, 06:05 PM
PROPER scrollbars are a necessity. Multitouch mice have no real buttons, so no way I'm getting one.

And I don't use the scrollwheel, too much strain.

It all comes down to personal preference I guess. But the current layout of scrollbars works pretty well as you can still use them the old fashioned way.

trustme
Aug 4, 2012, 06:46 PM

And 90% of the world is used to Windows. So why is OSX so usable for you?

Alameda
Aug 4, 2012, 08:01 PM
I would like to be able to click on inactive windows to move them with a single click.

I would like the option to double-click a title bar to maximize/restore a window, not minimize it.

I would like to be able to cut/copy/paste files, not just Copy.

I would like them to revamp the Search interface. I think they've oversimplified it so much that it's difficult to tailor the result. I'm sure I'll learn better ways to use it, but that's my impression right now.

Apple's productivity apps aren't nearly as good as Microsoft's. There's plenty of room for improvement, especially for us poor corporate people who need Exchange access.

The iTunes interface is archaic, and it could use an overhaul. iPhone content is no longer well-managed by iTunes, and iCloud adds confusion to this. Of course this is because of many recent improvements, but they've resulted in years of patchwork updates to iTunes, and now iTunes needs a refresh.

Support for 802.11ac WiFi would be great, along with hardware to support it.

I'd like Command-Tab to switch among all windows, not just applications.

turtle777
Aug 4, 2012, 08:43 PM
1) ZFS
2) a new file system
3) ZFS
4) a better file system

:-)

On a serious note (or better, additionally), i'd like to see TimeMachine backup to iCloud / remote servers. That would be awesome.

-t

Steve.P.JobsFan
Aug 4, 2012, 08:52 PM
Mountain Lion was released 11 days ago, and we're already wanting the next major release of OS X? Slow down, people.

Yamcha
Aug 4, 2012, 09:11 PM
Can't really think of many off the top of my head, but I've been wanting the ability to read and write NTFS natively..

Alameda
Aug 4, 2012, 09:19 PM
Mountain Lion was released 11 days ago, and we're already wanting the next major release of OS X? Slow down, people.Nothing wrong with thinking about the future. We know there will be an update in a year.

cocky jeremy
Aug 4, 2012, 09:44 PM
On a serious note (or better, additionally), i'd like to see TimeMachine backup to iCloud / remote servers. That would be awesome.

-t

Expeeeensive. Can you imagine how much they'd charge to backup terabytes of data to iCloud?

turtle777
Aug 4, 2012, 10:11 PM
Expeeeensive. Can you imagine how much they'd charge to backup terabytes of data to iCloud?

Well, I wish they would provide an option to use your own server. :)

But even if they didn't, wouldn't people be willing to pay for this, just like they pay for Mozy, CrashPlan or other online backup plans ?

If I really had TimeMachine functionality and GUI for backups, that would be awesome. I'd pay for that.

-t

cube
Aug 5, 2012, 07:09 AM
It all comes down to personal preference I guess. But the current layout of scrollbars works pretty well as you can still use them the old fashioned way.

You can't use them the "old fashioned" way. They have no arrows.

Pressure
Aug 5, 2012, 07:51 AM
Instead of features that are easier to expose for the mainstream users, I for one would like more fundamentally changes under the hood.

For starters, it is time to ditch the old, overburdened filesystem HFS+ for something like ZFS+, which would invigorate and empower TimeMachine and other marketing bullet points (the advantages are too many to list but those who know ZFS+ knowns what I am talking about, incremental backup down to bit level etc).

A filesystem that is non-corruptable and have no need for expensive hardware RAID (which is also gotten long in the tooth. It was thought up in the 90's and we haven't moved past that yet).

More APIs for exposing the power of the GPU (OpenCL) for both rendering and UI overlays and hopefully for developers to design for open standards and not just lock nearly entire software suites down to CUDA (Yes, I am looking at you Adobe!).

But yeah, I really want a ZFS+ equivalent filesystem above everything else.

I see I aren't the first one to really stress this factor (luckily).

----------

1) ZFS
2) a new file system
3) ZFS
4) a better file system

-t

Indeed, ZFS+ would make that very achievable and affordable when you only need to backup the bits that have been changed.

But it would also make having a remote backup server much cheaper and easier to maintain.

I would disregard those who claim it would be too expensive, when it in fact will be cheaper than current solutions. I am not talking kiddy-backup systems like DropBox but enterprise-grade.

laudern
Aug 5, 2012, 08:02 AM
I honestly love the idea of having tabs in the finder window. I can't believe it hasn't been done yet!!!:confused:

Aug 5, 2012, 08:23 AM
I honestly love the idea of having tabs in the finder window. I can't believe it hasn't been done yet!!!:confused:

Use the free xTraFinder...

kemo
Aug 5, 2012, 09:22 AM
1) ZFS
2) a new file system
3) ZFS
4) a better file system

-t

Can't agree more!

Alameda
Aug 5, 2012, 09:28 AM
A bash command line toolbar option in Finder windows would be most appreciated.

Orange Furball
Aug 5, 2012, 09:36 AM
A free update. If its every year make is either $5 or free. $20 a year for small updates is to much IMO.

Platskies
Aug 5, 2012, 09:54 AM
A bash command line toolbar option in Finder windows would be most appreciated.
I agree, this would be real useful (obviously for the average user you wouldn't show it by default)!

--

It doesn't seem like anyone's mentioned this, but—a change I'd really appreciate is the restoration of the keyboard-activated "Space change" animation back to the sort of smooth 'ease in/out' in Snow Leopard. What I find weird is this specific animation happens in the app switcher and when you click an app icon in the Dock. When I'm on a desktop Mac and I need to use the keyboard shortcut, this slow deceleration in the animation really gets in the way in trying to do something quickly (it even makes me feel a little motion sick). IMO, a second is too offputting when doing some intense work. I know there's a few Dock defaults that you can change, but there doesn't seem to be one for this (I could be wrong though?).

I'm leaning towards reporting a bug, I really don't understand the purpose of the Lion-style transition other than showing new aesthetics.

kemo
Aug 5, 2012, 10:17 AM
A free update. If its every year make is either $5 or free. $20 a year for small updates is to much IMO.

Ohh come on, don't cry over this little amount of money...:eek:

Orange Furball
Aug 5, 2012, 10:33 AM
Ohh come on, don't cry over this little amount of money...:eek:

If iOS can get a free update once a year, why can't we? I could spend that $20 on other apps without having to upgrade!

pdjudd
Aug 5, 2012, 10:37 AM
If iOS can get a free update once a year, why can't we? I could spend that $20 on other apps without having to upgrade!

The two are accounted differently.

Liquinn
Aug 5, 2012, 10:49 AM
The two are accounted differently.
What do you mean?

pdjudd
Aug 5, 2012, 11:14 AM
What do you mean?

IOS is accounted for over a subscription based accounting system (its accounted for over a longer period of time tied to the lifetime of the device - you essentially pay for the updates as part of the lifetime of the device). It's really complicated accounting rules tied to SOX compliance. The Mac is accounted for all at once which means that Apple has to sell it for some cost unless they can justify accounting for it similar to iOS.

ETA: There was a time when Apple charged money for major versions of the iPod Touch OS and for some updates like FaceTime on OSX and for the 102.11n on older Mac's. It was due to how the devices were advertised with certain feature and how it was sold. It's really complex stuff.

Orange Furball
Aug 5, 2012, 11:18 AM
IOS is accounted for over a subscription based accounting system (its accounted for over a longer period of time tied to the lifetime of the device - you essentially pay for the updates as part of the lifetime of the device). It's really complicated accounting rules tied to SOX compliance. The Mac is accounted for all at once which means that Apple has to sell it for some cost unless they can justify accounting for it similar to iOS.

What I got from that was that the hardware doesn't stay supported as long. (I could be wrong as I'm extremely tired right now) but Apple is dropping computers left and right with new updates. My Mac won't even be supported with 10.9 probably.

If you were saying that iOS updates are smaller, they really are not. 10.8 barely got anything. Even if they just did $19.99 to upgrade to the huge update (UI overhaul) and free or $5 for the minor updated (like Lion to Mountain Lion) it would be a little better.

fisherking
Aug 5, 2012, 11:22 AM
no idea if anyone's ever mentioned this (i have LOL), but i would like that, when i trash a .dmg, that it automatically ejects it's disk image...

pdjudd
Aug 5, 2012, 11:23 AM
If you were saying that iOS updates are smaller, they really are not.
No that is not what I am saying at all. It is technical accounting laws regarding legal compliance about how products are sold. It has nothing to do with the size of the updates or the lifespan of the hardware. Sarbanes is a legal requirement that Apple needs to comply with.

cambookpro
Aug 5, 2012, 11:25 AM
What I got from that was that the hardware doesn't stay supported as long. (I could be wrong as I'm extremely tired right now) but Apple is dropping computers left and right with new updates. My Mac won't even be supported with 10.9 probably.

If you were saying that iOS updates are smaller, they really are not. 10.8 barely got anything. Even if they just did $19.99 to upgrade to the huge update (UI overhaul) and free or $5 for the minor updated (like Lion to Mountain Lion) it would be a little better.

It's not like that. Apple had to fight to (believe it or not) get iOS updates for iPods free.
It's not as simple as Apple deciding to charge only one or two dollars. It's THE law, not Apple's law. Complicated and sort of unnecessary in these cases, I know, but hey.

Orange Furball
Aug 5, 2012, 11:28 AM
No that is not what I am saying at all. It is technical accounting laws regarding legal compliance about how products are sold. It has nothing to do with the size of the updates or the lifespan of the hardware. Sarbanes is a legal requirement that Apple needs to comply with.

It's not like that. Apple had to fight to (believe it or not) get iOS updates for iPods free.
It's not as simple as Apple deciding to charge only one or two dollars. It's THE law, not Apple's law. Complicated and sort of unnecessary in these cases, I know, but hey.

That explains why I paid for the app store update on my 1st Gen iPod way back then. Thanks for the clarification. I would think they would be happy to give software away for free :o

pdjudd
Aug 5, 2012, 11:31 AM
I would think they would be happy to give software away for free :o

I would think so too. Trouble is that isn't always possible.

King Shady
Aug 5, 2012, 01:36 PM
A slightly revamped UI would be nice, but I doubt Apple would do it

thekeyring
Aug 5, 2012, 02:28 PM

It wouldn't be OS X 11. OS X 10.0 wasn't the tenth version of Mac OS X, but the first. It would be Mac OS X 10.9 - Mac OS 11 / Mac OS XI 11.0

thekeyring
Aug 5, 2012, 02:43 PM

Currently using Mountain Lion - how is it like a giant iPad? Look at Microsoft and Windows 8 - that's what you fear. Apple isn't pushing anything like that on us. Launchpad is useful, but you don't have to use it.

Full screen apps are pretty cool, though I personally don't use them. As for notes and reminders? They're great and they don't feel like iPad apps forced into OS X.

----------

How are scroll bars useless? They have a use..

clukas
Aug 5, 2012, 03:20 PM
You can't use them the "old fashioned" way. They have no arrows.

ok, I meant you can drag the scrollbar. I never used the arrows.

Jb07
Aug 5, 2012, 03:31 PM
Currently using Mountain Lion - how is it like a giant iPad? Look at Microsoft and Windows 8 - that's what you fear. Apple isn't pushing anything like that on us. Launchpad is useful, but you don't have to use it.

Full screen apps are pretty cool, though I personally don't use them. As for notes and reminders? They're great and they don't feel like iPad apps forced into OS X.

Mountain Lion isn't like a giant iPad, but Apple is pushing OS X towards iOS. With every new version comes more iOS features. With Windows 8 you have the option to use Metro or the standard desktop.

thekeyring
Aug 5, 2012, 04:14 PM
Mountain Lion isn't like a giant iPad, but Apple is pushing OS X towards iOS. With every new version comes more iOS features. With Windows 8 you have the option to use Metro or the standard desktop.

Actually, with Windows 8 you have to use the Metro UI, if nothing else but a Start Menu replacement.

You're right though, iOS features are being added to the Mac, but I don't think this is a bad thing, as the OS is still designed for keyboards and mice.

Jb07
Aug 5, 2012, 05:21 PM
Actually, with Windows 8 you have to use the Metro UI, if nothing else but a Start Menu replacement.

You're right though, iOS features are being added to the Mac, but I don't think this is a bad thing, as the OS is still designed for keyboards and mice.

They did away with the desktop? I though you could still use that in Windows 8?:confused:
I just wish Apple would stop with the iOS features.

pdjudd
Aug 5, 2012, 05:26 PM
They did away with the desktop?

He never said that - he said you had to use Metro (although it's not called that anymore) as a Start Menu replacement - in fact it's the default starting point IIRC.

Krazy Bill
Aug 5, 2012, 05:31 PM
It wouldn't be OS X 11. OS X 10.0 wasn't the tenth version of Mac OS X, but the first. It would be Mac OS X 10.9 - Mac OS 11 / Mac OS XI 11.0it will simply be called iOSX until such time as both OSX and iOS are fully merged.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

Jb07
Aug 5, 2012, 05:47 PM
He never said that - he said you had to use Metro (although it's not called that anymore) as a Start Menu replacement - in fact it's the default starting point IIRC.

Oh, I misunderstood...

Alameda
Aug 5, 2012, 07:31 PM
He never said that - he said you had to use Metro (although it's not called that anymore) as a Start Menu replacement - in fact it's the default starting point IIRC.I tried Windows 8 and hated it. Doing away with the Start menu, and forcing you to switch between full-screen tablet mode and standard Windows mode is a big step backwards.

djtech42
Aug 5, 2012, 07:33 PM
no idea if anyone's ever mentioned this (i have LOL), but i would like that, when i trash a .dmg, that it automatically ejects it's disk image...

+1 on that, if you are putting it in the trash, the OS should be smart enough to know you are done with the disk image.

austinguy23
Aug 5, 2012, 09:34 PM
How about an OS that allows a $3k laptop to not stutter when performing basic animations? That would be swell.

cocky jeremy
Aug 5, 2012, 09:41 PM

They could just keep the same name and call it a yearly update for that same version and keep it free, right? Like 10.8 and then the 10.8 2012 update.

pdjudd
Aug 5, 2012, 10:04 PM
They could just keep the same name and call it a yearly update for that same version and keep it free, right? Like 10.8 and then the 10.8 2012 update.

The accounting laws related to SOX don't just allow you to rename a product and magically qualify it for subscription based accounting like iOS. You actually need a justification explaining how your product is based on something like a subscription. iOS qualifies since it's tied to the iPhone which is tied to a cellular plan.

Accounting laws and SOX are very complex and are designed so that you cannot just use loopholes like you propose.

cocky jeremy
Aug 5, 2012, 11:09 PM
The accounting laws related to SOX don't just allow you to rename a product and magically qualify it for subscription based accounting like iOS. You actually need a justification explaining how your product is based on something like a subscription. iOS qualifies since it's tied to the iPhone which is tied to a cellular plan.

Accounting laws and SOX are very complex and are designed so that you cannot just use loopholes like you propose.

Pretty ridiculous (stupid) that laws exist that keep you from giving something away for free.

pdjudd
Aug 5, 2012, 11:23 PM
Pretty ridiculous (stupid) that laws exist that keep you from giving something away for free.

From what little I learned about SOX when I was in college many years ago, was that there were very good reasons for SOX to exist when it was enacted and alot of compliancy. If you remember the Enron scandal, SOX came from that.

You should read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes–Oxley_Act) about it before you blindly criticize it.

In the end it boils down to how things are accounted - either all up front or based on annal accounting. You have to justify your accounting methods. Apple had to fight to give away iOS updates for non cell phones. Doing so for a computer OS is not going to happen in this market given Apple's biggest competitor accounts for it the same way.

nedermac
Aug 6, 2012, 03:57 AM
Seconding or thirding other suggestions like ... modernizing the file system (ZFS+, etc), Siri.

- Would like the ability maybe in preferences somewhere to disable notification center, launchpad in a way where they also do not consume any system resources.

- Safari: love the speed, hate the interface. So would like to see more ability for the user to customise the interface in 10.9

- Migration assistant - add the ability to select which Apps are migrated.

Just my .02

cocky jeremy
Aug 6, 2012, 08:57 AM
- Migration assistant - add the ability to select which Apps are migrated.

Would love this.

Alameda
Aug 6, 2012, 11:24 AM
Would like the ability maybe in preferences somewhere to disable notification center, launchpad in a way where they also do not consume any system resources.Just open the Notifications Pane and uncheck each item's "Show in Notification Center" checkbox. Go to Trackpad and disabled the Notifications Center gesture. Voila! It's out of your life. It may not be down to zero system resources, but mine is 3 threads and 8.4 MB of RAM (probably an off-screen frame buffer), with zero CPU. Very insignificant.

nedermac
Aug 7, 2012, 04:02 PM
Just open the Notifications Pane and uncheck each item's "Show in Notification Center" checkbox. Go to Trackpad and disabled the Notifications Center gesture. Voila! It's out of your life. It may not be down to zero system resources, but mine is 3 threads and 8.4 MB of RAM (probably an off-screen frame buffer), with zero CPU. Very insignificant.

All in the eye of the beholder - might be insignificant for you, but really, really annoying to me. Still there in the menu bar, still consuming resources, and frankly not something I want.

All I'm saying is that everyone should be given a choice probably easiest via preferences - if you like it, turn it on, if you don't at least give the possibility to turn it off.

cambookpro
Aug 7, 2012, 06:23 PM
All in the eye of the beholder - might be insignificant for you, but really, really annoying to me. Still there in the menu bar, still consuming resources, and frankly not something I want.

All I'm saying is that everyone should be given a choice probably easiest via preferences - if you like it, turn it on, if you don't at least give the possibility to turn it off.

From the OS X Finder, hit Command+Shift+G and enter the path to /System/Library/CoreServices/

Locate “Notification Center.app” and click on the name to rename it to “Notification Center-disabled.app”, authenticate the change when prompted

Now launch Terminal and type the following command:
killall NotificationCenter

Quit out of Terminal.

Notification centre disabled!

Ddyracer
Aug 17, 2012, 07:40 PM
I heard you can't modify the dock's color or something like that in ML is this true? What can and can't you do to the dock?

kingweaver88
Aug 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
- NTFS support (if possible) and the ability to backup your bootcamp installation via time machine in osx.

- Built in virtualization as part of the bootcamp utility, and HFS+ drivers as part of the bootcamp windows support software.

- The choice of a "dark" UI instead of the standard grey OSX UI.

- The ability to hide folders and volumes via "get info" and the ability to show hidden files/folders via finder prefs.

- Ability to change font color for finder items and add window transparency.

- Choice to have recovery HD contain offline installation files, also all new macs should ship with a bootable OSX install USB disk (if I spend $2500 on a computer I shouldnt have to spend another $70 on a USB boot disk thats costs apple a few dollars at most).

- ability to copy/move/delete and other functions to all files with a certain label with a right click command, (i.e. create a dock folder for "quick apps" and any application you label as such automatically shows up in the dock folder)... right now I dont see much use for the labels.

im sure I can think of some more, Ill post back when I do

MkNuII
Aug 18, 2012, 12:38 PM
- NTFS support (if possible)

I know this is a wishlist, every wish is a valid one. I just think this one isn't going to be real. Doubt Apple will start supporting NTFS when the future isn't going in that direction. In the next couple of years we will see Microsoft shifting from that filesystem.

kingweaver88
Aug 18, 2012, 12:44 PM
I know this is a wishlist, every wish is a valid one. I just think this one isn't going to be real. Doubt Apple will start supporting NTFS when the future isn't going in that direction. In the next couple of years we will see Microsoft shifting from that filesystem.

Granted, if microsoft moved to a different filesystem then it wouldn't be an issue... accessing my bootcamp partition from osx is the only reason I would want ntfs support. Obviously there is paragon and other ntfs drivers but it would nice to have it built in.

G33kX
Aug 29, 2012, 12:33 PM
Unification of similar apps.

Apple would not do that, in fact they have been going out of their way to deunify apps, (thing cal and reminders). They have good reason to, too. The last remnant of unified apps is iTunes, which I think should be broken up too

G33kX
Aug 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
From what little I learned about SOX when I was in college many years ago, was that there were very good reasons for SOX to exist when it was enacted and alot of compliancy. If you remember the Enron scandal, SOX came from that.

Odd, from what I have read about SOX, it has to do with the heads of companies not ripping off their stockholders. What does this have to do with apple giving free updates? Also what defines an update? It's not as if apple has to charge for every security update it makes.

polotska
Aug 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
The last remnant of unified apps is iTunes, which I think should be broken up too

Praise be!

arkmannj
Aug 29, 2012, 01:16 PM
* When sharing a printer have an option to share it over AirPrint.

pdjudd
Aug 29, 2012, 02:17 PM
Odd, from what I have read about SOX, it has to do with the heads of companies not ripping off their stockholders. What does this have to do with apple giving free updates? Also what defines an update? It's not as if apple has to charge for every security update it makes.

It has to do with accounting practices and how costs are assumed based on how products are advertised. The iPhone is legitimately tied to a subscription so it's costs can be calculated over an annual period (the contract) and not at once as it used to be. The Mac OS has no subscription services since Mac's are always purchased out-right.

There are tons of articles. SOX goes farther than you think.

Tar Sniffer
Sep 21, 2012, 06:20 AM
How many people now want Apple Maps on their Mac? ;)

Purant
Sep 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'd like Launchpad to somehow make sense...

It's basis is fine and I realize it's made so that it can appeal to people that come from iPhones as their first mac experience, but it's really clunky on Mac OS. They could keep the basic paradigm the same but they could provide more functions for Mac OS.

For example I hate having to scroll 5-6 pages to find the app I want, maybe previews of each page at the bottom with the ability to click on one and go to the 6th page directly?

makaveli559m
Sep 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
The next OS and next Bootcamp should allow users to access for both video cards on the Windows side. I think the next OS is going to be called 10.9 Cougar :P

iLog.Genius
Sep 23, 2012, 04:43 PM

It's basis is fine and I realize it's made so that it can appeal to people that come from iPhones as their first mac experience, but it's really clunky on Mac OS. They could keep the basic paradigm the same but they could provide more functions for Mac OS.

For example I hate having to scroll 5-6 pages to find the app I want, maybe previews of each page at the bottom with the ability to click on one and go to the 6th page directly?

Understand the need if you have a lot of apps but it's not going to happen or come - that's what the search bar is for. Apple is assuming that even if you had an extensive collection of apps, you'd know which you wanted to launch at a given time the search bar does a pretty good job at locating the one you'd want to open.

swingerofbirch
Sep 23, 2012, 05:31 PM
My wishlist has one item that has several parts to it. That one items is:

Fix the bugs in 10.8.

1. Dragging and dropping to Dock icon bugs

(A) When dragging and dropping content like text or images from one app to another's Dock icon, the resulting untitled document will still show up as unsaved even if you save it (the red close circle will still have the dark area in the center indicating the file is unsaved); This can be reproduced by dragging an image from Safari to Preview's dock icon, or dragging text from any app to TextEdit's dock icon

(B) As a followup to the previous bug, when an application which has auto-save enabled (such as TextEdit) crashes after dragging and dropping content to the application as described in (A) and the application is then re-opened, the content that was dragged and dropped creating that untitled document will be missing

2. QuickTime Bugs (Or Possibly Features Removed Inexplicably)

(A) QuickTime 10.2 removed the ability to select a folder to record audio recordings, video recordings, and screen recordings to; This means that it is impossible to record to anything other than the boot disk;

(B) QuickTime 10.2's documentation says that files will be automatically saved as they are recorded to the Movies Folder, but they are actually automatically saved to an Auto Save folder invisible to the user; they are not automatically or permanently saved anywhere that is accessible to the user

(C) Unlike previous versions of QuickTime, the user needs to somehow save these files (they were previously automatically saved to the Movies folder or whichever folder the user selected); there is no Save command under File and Command-S does not help either; In spite of these files having no dark depression in the red close button, clicking the red button will prompt the user to "Save changes to the untitled document," which doesn't make sense given that the user never saved the file a first time; At this point the user can only choose to export the file, and even if choosing to export it to the original format, the export takes place as if it is converting the file from one type to another when it in fact is not

(D) Exporting files in this way causes the recordings to lose the correct date / time stamp; To avoid this, I have found the user can find the invisible auto-save folder and directly drag the files out of that folder to a chosen folder; This creates no export time and ensures the files have the correct date / time stamp; however, I have experienced QuickTime crashing while doing this, which results in problems too long to explain here

(E) QuickTime 10.2 creates proxy icons in the title bar for untitled documents; this goes against Apple's human user interface guidelines; there is no purpose for a proxy icon if the user has not yet saved the file; also one would expect that right-clicking on the proxy icon would show the folder path of the file—it does not

3. Mission Control / Expose Bugs (Or Possibly Features Removed Inexplicably)

(A) When many applications and windows are open, and Mission Control is set to group windows by application, Mission Control does not adequately display windows even when they are magnified; they overlap and are too small to identify

(B) When magnifying a window under App Expose or Mission Control using the space bar to see it at full size, the ability to move between all windows in their magnified state no longer function as of Lion; Previously this was a very helpful way to identify a document among many; The user could simply magnify one window by pressing the space bar and then tap left or right to see all the windows in this state; Tapping left or right no longer functions as of Lion

I'm sure there are many more bugs and problems with previous features not working correctly I could think of, but these are the top ones that come to mind.

Thank you for reading. And yes, these have all been reported to Apple, I have no expectation that these issues will be fixed. Apple's response through engineering to me was, "Inform the customer that the behaviors he has described are expected and normal behavior."

avflinsch
Sep 24, 2012, 08:53 AM
The ability to set filters in mail.app WITHOUT having to go thru the preferences panel.

Bring back Rosetta support

mystique824
Sep 25, 2012, 05:42 AM

Indeed, ICloud is by far not even close to the convenience of Google Docs, DropBox and SugarSync. Also the subscription fares for iCloud are beyond 'normal'. iCloud is just a service to tie in user experience / comfort into their hardware, if they make it cheaper, more people will use it for sure. For now; i'm sticking with dropbox/google docs...

Carl Sagan
Sep 25, 2012, 08:14 AM
You can open iCloud synced pages docs into Dropbox now, and vice versa I believe...

rudychidiac
Sep 30, 2012, 04:16 PM
Siri, Although i don't think it will work on older MacBooks...
and Mail.app push notifications...

Maybe also bringing the Maps app to OS X, after fixing all the problems of course... iBooks as well, I would love to read my purchased iBooks on my macbook

I would love to see Dashboard getting a huge update, new widgets and stuff.
That's all!
:apple:

SlCKB0Y
Oct 1, 2012, 05:45 AM
Apple had to fight to give away iOS updates for non cell phones.

Link??

Under your theory whats the minimum they can charge?

Who decides what constitutes a major update under this (and therefore one which must be charged for)?

Why can they give other software away for free?

opaque163
Oct 2, 2012, 08:47 AM
Replacement of mac software with Windows software. ;)

Virinprew
Oct 3, 2012, 01:28 AM
Improve performance a lot, fix all known issues

Keep saying issue. But what are these issues? Try to be specific.

Nethan
Oct 3, 2012, 10:49 AM

I'm curious why you would scroll to find your apps. I use LaunchPad as an App Launcher in the same fashion as I used Quicksilver.

Just set LaunchPad to a keyboard command (I have mine as Command + Shift + D), start typing the app you want to launch and hit return. It's fantastic. I can open any app I need within a matter of seconds without the need for third-party software.

doh123
Oct 3, 2012, 01:36 PM

pages? what?

I have hundreds of apps... all on one page organized well. LaunchPad doesn't auto organize, you have to do that. Just make folders of similar apps or categories so its easy to find, all one one page.

toxic
Oct 4, 2012, 04:22 AM
Understand the need if you have a lot of apps but it's not going to happen or come - that's what the search bar is for. Apple is assuming that even if you had an extensive collection of apps, you'd know which you wanted to launch at a given time the search bar does a pretty good job at locating the one you'd want to open.
I'm curious why you would scroll to find your apps. I use LaunchPad as an App Launcher in the same fashion as I used Quicksilver.

Just set LaunchPad to a keyboard command (I have mine as Command + Shift + D), start typing the app you want to launch and hit return. It's fantastic. I can open any app I need within a matter of seconds without the need for third-party software.

if Apple expects users to know they should search for applications, then there's no reason for Launchpad to exist. there's this thing called Spotlight.

kemo
Oct 4, 2012, 09:27 AM
Keep saying issue. But what are these issues? Try to be specific.

Im, for example, using killall Dock like twice a work day - Mission Control just stop responding... and so its not working - showing all desktops etc. I have done clean install, having the latest OS and still having the issues. Im kinda suspicious it's having some issues with HyperDock - can any1 confirm? :)

CarlSGutekunst
Oct 9, 2012, 03:25 AM

There are two groups of people that desperately need the old-style scrollbars (including the scroll arrows):

Anyone editing or manipulating large row-oriented data sets. This includes Excel spreadsheets, Photoshop layers, source-code text editors, source code review tools (like Code Collaborator) and many others. The scroll buttons were the only mechanism for stepping precisely one row at a time.
Anyone with hand-eye coordination impairment. This runs the gamut from a relatively mild impairment like mine (that still makes it impossible for me to use most touchpad gestures) to full on Parkinson's Disease.

I'm not an ADA freak; I don't expect the whole world to bend over backwards to accommodate my disability. But Snow Leopard worked fine for me the way it was. Similarly, I do OK with Windows 7, and Gnome 2. I'm baffled that a company like Apple could obviously invest so much in accessibility and miss something this fundamental.
Not coming back. Time to let go of the past.

I've got a copy of Microsoft Office for which I paid $400. I've got a USB-Powered Canon Scanner for which I paid around $100. Both require Rosetta. "Letting go of the past" in this case means letting go of an awful lot of cash for upgrades (never mind tossing a perfectly good piece of hardware).

doh123
Oct 9, 2012, 08:10 AM
I've got a copy of Microsoft Office for which I paid $400. I've got a USB-Powered Canon Scanner for which I paid around $100. Both require Rosetta. "Letting go of the past" in this case means letting go of an awful lot of cash for upgrades (never mind tossing a perfectly good piece of hardware).
you bought software and hardware with certain requirements listed to run them... if you want to be able to run them, meet their requirements... that means no upgrading to the latest OS. If you can upgrade and they still run, then its a bonus... and shouldn't be expected.

CarlSGutekunst
Oct 9, 2012, 12:32 PM
you bought software and hardware with certain requirements listed to run them... if you want to be able to run them, meet their requirements... that means no upgrading to the latest OS. If you can upgrade and they still run, then its a bonus... and shouldn't be expected.

It's a wishlist. I wish my Canon scanner worked on a 2012 MBP.

I wish I had a pony, too, but I don't expect that to happen, either. ;)

In all seriousness, given Apple's long history of dropping old technologies like a used kleenex, I'm grateful they kept Rosetta as long as they did. I don't think it's coincidental that Windows 7 still supports all of my 10-year-old hardware and software, but Microsoft still hasn't figured out a viable mobile strategy.

clukas
Oct 10, 2012, 06:06 AM

I understand, unfortunately this is apple's way. But you cant exactly blame apple for this, as you chose to use their products, by which you agree to the way they run the show. If you are looking for great backward compatibility theres always windows, which is not as bad as some apple fanboys have you believe.

thekeyring
Oct 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
1) Siri.
2) iCloud accessible from the Finder, not just from apps.

Other than this I literally have no idea.

derbladerunner
Oct 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
My wish. Take your time and release a solid update in 2014, no need for annual updates...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple-Already-Has-OS-X-10-9-on-the-Table-for-2013-253471.shtml

No need for more iOS iGimmicks pasted on top of OS X in 2013.

hrl
Oct 16, 2012, 10:08 AM
I want a preference pane in the system pref that allows me to turn off all iOSifications OFF.

Eithanius
Oct 16, 2012, 10:27 AM
I want a preference pane in the system pref that allows me to turn off all iOSifications OFF.

Yeah baby... To hell with iCloud, to hell with reverse scrolling, to hell with iOS scrollbars, to hell with aminations, to hell with Mission Control freak, to hell with parallel-yet-unproductive Spaces... need I go on...? :rolleyes:

I was told by a developer that in order for an app syncing between Mac and iDevices to be qualified for Mac App Store, they must include iCloud support alongside DropBox or whatever WiFi-sync methods available. Hence no more app support for Snow Leopard. Those bastards at Apple...! :mad:

Thank goodness Jobs is in his grave now... :D

Krazy Bill
Oct 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
1) Siri.
2) iCloud accessible from the Finder, not just from apps.

Other than this I literally have no idea.

I think you'll see Siri but the Finder is a bane to Apple. In true iOS fashion they'd love to see it gone.

dumb
Oct 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
Wirelessly posted

1) Better support for multi screen..extend desktop. e.g connect to TV and still be able to use macbook pro.

2)close windows from expose. e.g you get a popup on safari, expose then click close..currently have to click popup then close it.

3) Do something useful with finder.
4) Dock. Make it more like windows, right click makes it show recent files, pages folders. Pin files etc. Dock currently is just an appp launcher

RoelJuun
Oct 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
Better Finder so I don't have to use Forklift anymore (tabs, split screen etc)
iCal normal interface and the ability to use contactinformation in the location description
A normal way to lower the brightness of my external ACD with the function keys
Activity panel back in Safari please!
Contacts normal interface
In MC, show the minimized windows
I would like a light-weight maps application that is opened when clicking on addresses in for example mail or contacts

thekeyring
Oct 16, 2012, 05:33 PM
I think you'll see Siri but the Finder is a bane to Apple. In true iOS fashion they'd love to see it gone.

Ahh good point. Maybe a simpler finder. When you open a document in Pages you can choose iCloud or This Mac and that's it - no subfolders like we're used to.

I wonder what will become of the little smiling face in the corner of my screen....

Ddyracer
Oct 16, 2012, 10:54 PM
15960386 Mission Control just stop responding... and so its not working - showing all desktops etc. Im kinda suspicious it's having some issues with HyperDock - can any1 confirm? :)

No, it works fine with Mission Control. MC is laggy though with a custom image, disabling hyper dock doesn't do anything to it's performance.

I did disable the animation btw.

Hessel
Oct 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
windows 7 was already miles ahead of OSX & windows 8 is just an entirely different ballgame.

let's hope Apple finaly wakes up & applies touch support to OSX the way it's done in iOS.

it would be even better if Apple could find a way to merge iOS and OSX into one, as microsoft did with Windows 8.

colourfastt
Oct 18, 2012, 01:05 PM
windows 7 was already miles ahead of OSX & windows 8 is just an entirely different ballgame.

let's hope Apple finaly wakes up & applies touch support to OSX the way it's done in iOS.

it would be even better if Apple could find a way to merge iOS and OSX into one, as microsoft did with Windows 8.

Oh YAY! OS 10.9 = OS iToys </sarcasm>

doh123
Oct 18, 2012, 01:06 PM

is that some type of joke? Win7 and Win8 isn't even close to OSX... Trying to make a non-touch OS run like a touch OS like Win8 fails miserably in doing is NOT a good idea.

1member1
Oct 18, 2012, 01:10 PM

Apple won't merge iOS with OSX. once they do that they will lose all the money from the laptops/notebooks.
OSX also capable of touch and even better than windows. all those gestures are touch.

Hessel
Oct 18, 2012, 01:23 PM
is that some type of joke? Win7 and Win8 isn't even close to OSX... Trying to make a non-touch OS run like a touch OS like Win8 fails miserably in doing is NOT a good idea.

I've actually tried windows 8 on different systems (beta!) and it runs surprisingly well on all of them.

and windows 7 is in alot of ways more stabile then OSX. I'm saying this from a professional perspective and I've actually tested this. Cubase runs better on windows and Studio One runs better on it as well.

Digital Performer, wich was always a Mac only DAW recently came out with a Windows 7 version as well. which -surprisingly- also runs better on the windows side! so apparently Microsoft made their system a lot more robust lately.

a lot of audio and video professionals are moving from OSX to Windows because of this very reason, & I can only expect Windows 8 to be even better. and if you look at the consumer market, touch is the way forward. Most consumers will not even have a laptop in few years time because everything can be done on a tablet.

D-a-a-n
Oct 19, 2012, 02:45 AM
- Allow more customization when it comes to badges in the dock. Like for the mail app, it would be handy if there's a badge for unread private emails and another badge for unread work emails.

- License some popular video codecs: from a Mac - the ultimate creative multimedia machine - I would've expected when I quicklook a avi file(divx, etc), that it would actually play it..

- Safari is still crap, oh and where is the option to re-open the last closed tab? Without having to go to history manually..Just steal some more Chrome features, just like you did with the search bar :D

- Mission control is more or less OK, except for the choppy animations once in a while. But pretty please, give us also some window management like Snap in windows 7.

- When I want to know the file size from multiple files, now I have to select them, right click, press option (so the "Get info" changes to "Show inspector") and then I can see the total file size for all these files. Works great, however if I forget to press the option key, and just press "Get info"..well..You'll have fun closing all 'Get info' screens one by one. Just fix this mess Apple and set the default behavior for multiple files to show the inspector and not an info screen for every file. Average Joe doesn't know the location of the option key, and it isn't intuitive anyway.

- Fix every bug in Finder, and allow more customization in Finder. Oh yeah, and view options for every folder gets confusing. And moving files (not copying) with a shortcut is also too cumbersome.

- Make it possible to move every window from an application to an external monitor without having to drag them manually one by one

- Make it possible to hide all other windows from an application except the one you're working on (example: 10 textedit windows, I just want to see the active without having to minimize the 9 others..)

- Fix airdrop, srsly..

- When cycling (cmd-tab), give us somehow a visible hint, that a certain app doesn't have any windows anymore..So I don't wait and then realize that there aren't any screens left. Or maybe just leave out the apps in the cmd-tab screen that don't have windows..Don't know if that's a good idea though, too lazy to think about :D

- Scrollbars look nice on iOS, but not so nice on OSX. Make them a bit more refined. And make it possible in settings to have scrollbar arrows.

Osullivan1
Oct 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
But pretty please, give us also some window management like Snap in windows 7.

There's an app for that.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12

(or you can get a free beta version here: http://www.bettertouchtool.net)

;)

potatis
Oct 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
ability to change mouse cursors

Glassed Silver
Oct 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
I could come up with a lot I'd really like to see, but if they would finally please add ZFS, I'd be set for years to come and I'd release all pressure from Apple to please me with any new features for at least 5 years haha.

ZFS is worth a LOT to me.
I just have a really hard time trusting all my digital life to an archaic filesystem any longer (and in modern times, let's be honest, we keep TONS of personal irrecoverable stuff on our computers)

I don't really feel very positive about third party implementations and I'm not a NAS fan.

Glassed Silver:mac

D-a-a-n
Oct 30, 2012, 10:18 AM
There's an app for that.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12

(or you can get a free beta version here: http://www.bettertouchtool.net)

;)

Indeed :). There's actually an app for most of my complaints, but I'd rather see this integrated in osx :).

ouimetnick
Oct 30, 2012, 12:19 PM
1 - Worse, we don't see ANY signs of thinking outside the box and coming up with the next best desktop experience for personal computers. It's time for Forstall and Federighi to go, and bring back Serlet and Tevanian...

Well Forstall is gone. :)

MagnusVonMagnum
Jan 13, 2013, 03:38 PM
wow! really nice suggestions here.

Things I would change (or at least look on improving)

-improving finder - tabs, folders always staying on top of lists etc.

If you haven't given it a try yet, check out "XtraFinder". Unlike some, it's FREE and it's pretty darn awesome, IMO and works with Mountain Lion just fine. Other than color icons slowing things down for some unknown reason here (I leave that one off), it works fine here and appears stable. It supports a really nice tabs setup and has a dual-pane option and a menu bar option to create two real side-by-side or top/bottom windows instead of dual-pane if you like among other things. I honestly don't know why Apple hasn't made something like this a priority all these years. It's obviously not rocket science to add tabs and dual-pane options and it makes file operations SOOO much nicer.

The main other thing that needs serious attention in OSX is the dual-monitor functions. Full-screen works great on a single monitor and I personally like the Mission Control setup of combining Expose with Spaces (many do not it seems but I'm not against preference pane options to use what you want). But multiple monitors is a MESS in Mountain Lion and it was a MESS in Snow Leopard and every single version of OSX ever made for that matter. At least full screen on a secondary monitor lets you get the menu bar when you put the mouse to the top of the screen (slight improvement), but why not an option for a menu bar pop-up like that at ALL times on secondary screens or even just a menu bar there period? Having to move the mouse across screens to get to the menu bar is RIDICULOUS and there is no good excuse for it (even if there are keyboard shortcuts or whatever; that doesn't fix the problem; it just works around it).

Worse yet, you cannot use the other monitor while an app is in full-screen (unless that app apparently uses both screens). It just shows a textured screen. The mouse can move there so clearly it SHOULD be usable but isn't. Full screen on an app should do NOTHING to whatever is on the other monitor(s) and Apple needs to fix this immediately, IMO.

Putting the dock where you want it can be a pain in some cases. If you have a secondary monitor to your left and you want the dock on the left side of the primary monitor, it will not cooperate unless you set the position of the secondary monitor in preferences to be completely above or below the primary screen. Otherwise, it will appear on the secondary monitor instead (very annoying if you don't want it there and don't want the dock on the bottom or right either). It would also be good to have an option for a dock (even a separately configurable one) on each monitor as well.

-allowing the 'notification center' to be used for more things. I for example have very little use for notifications on my computer (I only need those on my phone) but I could see that slide out shade as very useful for better windows management - say all windows for a space displayed by app with minimized windows listed at the bottom etc. All in list view which is sometimes more informative than images.

I was pleasantly surprised by Notification Center. Many of my applications make use of it and it's not obtrusive at all. If anything, getting a quick notification of an incoming e-mail or that a backup running the background is done without having to keep checking on it is really nice.

grahamperrin
Feb 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
More than anything, I wish for Apple to either:

a) support ZFS in OS X; or

b) allow Apple permanent version storage with implementations of ZFS, such as ZEVO, that are capable of permanent version storage.

Petition | Apple: OS X 10.9 - support OpenGL 4.3 and ZFS | Change.org (https://www.change.org/petitions/apple-os-x-10-9-support-opengl-4-3-and-zfs)

My comment there:

Core Storage is appreciated but it's closed source, Mac-specific and nowhere near a match for the qualities of ZFS.

Apple support for ZFS should include feature flags, and a crypto – maybe feature@com.apple:encryption – that can be enabled with systems other than OS X.

daneoni
Feb 12, 2013, 11:52 AM
I really hope they get rid of HFS this time. Using a 28yr old filesystem in an OS is just outright criminal.

gumblecosby
Feb 12, 2013, 12:07 PM
I really hope they get rid of HFS this time. Using a 28yr old filesystem in an OS is just outright criminal.

I'd be scared senseless to use a new filesystem that has come out of Apple at the moment. It would need extensive testing first. A buggy new filesystem would do too much damage to OS X's reputation

If they did announce a change, I' reckon they would roll it as a beta as an option alongside HFS+ first before switching to it full time a couple of OS X iterations down the line

daneoni
Feb 12, 2013, 12:18 PM
I'd be scared senseless to use a new filesystem that has come out of Apple at the moment. It would need extensive testing first. A buggy new filesystem would do too much damage to OS X's reputation

If they did announce a change, I' reckon they would roll it as a beta as an option alongside HFS+ first before switching to it full time a couple of OS X iterations down the line

Thats fine i don't mind. But HFS is long past its expiry date.

TweakOnline
Feb 12, 2013, 12:24 PM
New (white!) layout! :)
I hate the greylish look... what about you guys?

MagnusVonMagnum
Feb 12, 2013, 01:00 PM

HFS+ isn't 28 years old (derivative as it might be) and IT is the current file system of OSX, not HFS. HFS hasn't been supported for write capability since 10.6 Snow Leopard. In short, it's doing NO HARM being there in case someone needs to access some ancient drive somewhere.

HFS+ by comparison is 15 years old and yet I'd still rather use it than NTFS given its vastly superior resistance to fragmentation. In fact, I see few truly "urgent" reasons with current hard drive sizes to move to ZFS. And while ZFS would be nice, it would be much more so on the server front and Apple has no real stake in that market share anyway, which is probably why they backed away from it when they decided to kill Xserve among other moves.

grahamperrin
Feb 12, 2013, 02:39 PM
I'd be scared senseless to use a new filesystem that has come out of Apple at the moment. …

There's a misconception that ZFS is new (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/zfs-loving-mac-users-demand-support-in-os-x-10-9/?comments=1&post=23859985#comment-23859985) …

gumblecosby
Feb 18, 2013, 07:04 AM
There's a misconception that ZFS is new (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/zfs-loving-mac-users-demand-support-in-os-x-10-9/?comments=1&post=23859985#comment-23859985) …

I never mentioned ZFS.

RoelJuun
Feb 19, 2013, 07:38 AM
New (white!) layout! :)
I hate the greylish look... what about you guys?

Nope, in darker rooms it blinds you completely. Have you seen Office 2013 on Windows? My eyes almost died instantly.

leman
Feb 19, 2013, 07:57 AM
This is really interesting because my personal wish-list seems to coincide with the majority here:

1. A better file system (if possible, I want official support for semantic tagging)
2. OpenGL 4.3

Ddyracer
Feb 19, 2013, 09:00 AM
This is really interesting because my personal wish-list seems to coincide with the majority here:

1. A better file system (if possible, I want official support for semantic tagging)
2. OpenGL 4.3

Did they update Gl for ML? What version do they have right now?

leman
Feb 19, 2013, 09:48 AM
Did they update Gl for ML? What version do they have right now?

The current version is 3.2, if I am not mistaken the last update was with Lion.

The Bulge
Feb 19, 2013, 01:24 PM
I want a black theme for next OS X. I was always gay for black themes since Tiger.

Ddyracer
Feb 20, 2013, 02:37 AM
I want a black theme for next OS X. I was always gay for black themes since Tiger.

You can do that with this Menubar (http://levantinlynx.com), and follow this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1495519) carefully for a black dock.

unsanity released a app so you don't have to mess with terminal. Looks good.

The Bulge
Feb 20, 2013, 05:29 AM
You can do that with this Menubar (http://levantinlynx.com), and follow this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1495519) carefully for a black dock.

unsanity released a app so you don't have to mess with terminal. Looks good.

I know about the menubar, but didn't know about Dock. That black Dock looks great. Thanks.

Ddyracer
Feb 20, 2013, 06:30 AM
I know about the menubar, but didn't know about Dock. That black Dock looks great. Thanks.

Cool, and don't forget to screw around in Candybar to change your icons.

garegin
Jun 11, 2013, 10:00 PM
per application volume control. guys, when your retarded step-brother linux has this, and you don't, you know the the jig is up! also a task scheduler. windows has this for twenty years. launchd is awesome, don't hide it under a bushel.
a reliability monitor like in windows. it's so darn annoying to scour the console.app for shutdown and panic messages when diagnosing a computer.
paravirtualization platform like hyper-v. i'm sorry but vmware cannot touch hyper-v. vmware knows that, that's why they have esx.

SnowField
Aug 8, 2013, 06:58 AM
It would be really good if Apple make Spaces / Mission Control more useful. Let me know, anyone, if there is a 3rd party alternative product that will allow me to work as below.

I work on multiple projects at a time. I really want a separate work space / desktop for each project. Within each project I use multiple applications such as word processor, web browser, spreadsheet etc. So for 'Project A' I want a web browser window with the tabs for the research I am doing on this project only. I want Finder widows showing the directories that I'm using for this project only. I want word-processor documents for this project only open on the desktop.

In another space desktop, for 'Project B', I want to use many of the same applications, but with windows relevant to Project B only.

Spaces / Mission Control, which in theory would be good for someone like me with many windows open at a time, is useless, because instead of assigning specific windows to Desktops, it assigns whole applications. I have to specify that those applications work in all spaces. So when I move from one desktop to another I find all the same windows I had before :-( This seems like a missed opportunity to me.

I can see that Spaces / Mission Control can be useful for people who want to use just one application at a time in full screen mode, eg game playing, music production etc, but not for the research and design work that I do.

So I hope that OSX 10.9 makes a Mission Control that works at the level of individual windows. If you know of a third party product that provides that functionality then do please let me know (I'm not interested in 3rd party products that just tart up the look and feel).

Thanks everyone.