PDA

View Full Version : Taking a project back and forth between Xcode 4.3 and 4.4?

klaxamazoo
Jul 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
I was thinking about trying out Mountain Lion on my Macbook Air but need to keep Snow Leopard on my primary computer.

If I don't use any of the new language features (i.e. the new literals, etc.) of Xcode 4.4, would I be able to repeatedly go back and forth between using Xcode 4.3 and Xcode 4.4?

[Noted: edited for clarity]

xStep
Jul 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
I understand that you were suppose to be able to do that between Xcode 4.2 and 4.3 but haven't heard any such details regarding 4.4.

By the way, you claim to have Xcode 4.3 running on Snow Leopard. How? My understanding is that 4.3 was limited to Lion and above.

klaxamazoo
Jul 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
I understand that you were suppose to be able to do that between Xcode 4.2 and 4.3 but haven't heard any such details regarding 4.4.

By the way, you claim to have Xcode 4.3 running on Snow Leopard. How? My understanding is that 4.3 was limited to Lion and above.

I just checked, you are right, I'm only on 4.2.1 on both my Snow Leopard and Lion machine.

I think I might have tried 4.3 on my Lion machine last year and either I had something configured incorrectly or it wasn't possible to go between 4.2 and 4.3 so I gave up and reverted my Lion machine back down to 4.2.

It looks like Mountain Lion fixed most of the things I didn't like about 10.7, so I might try it out.

Does anybody know if there is anything in the project file that needs to be configured to go between 4.4 and 4.2?

xStep
Jul 28, 2012, 09:51 PM
Does anybody know if there is anything in the project file that needs to be configured to go between 4.4 and 4.2?

I've only played with 4.3.3 and 4.5 beta. In the warnings pane there will be an option to upgrade the project. I don't recall exactly what it said, but you can choose to do it or not. I've chosen to do it as currently just playing with the idea of upgrading. I'm playing with backup copies of my projects.

The image below is from Xcode 4.5 for a project from Xcode 4.2 on SL.