Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
So ever since Leopard the stock weather widget would move down a few pixels on the screen after a restart when the weather loaded again. It's been extremely annoying watching that thing bounce all over the screen, wondering why Apple couldn't work with Yahoo to fix that when every new Mac user sees it.

Well, it seems in Mountain Lion that the widget still moves, but resets it's position to default after a restart. So it's kind of fixed, but wish they could find a way for it not to move period. :confused:

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I think you have… the stock weather widget still moves for me. It once went completely somewhere off-screen in ML!!!

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
How can there be no fix for this after 5 years? They ship millions of Macs and one of the first things new users see is this weather widget bouncing all over the place. If it's Yahoo's issue, than Apple should ditch the widget and build a new one.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I've been using Macs since Leopard was released and I haven't seen any "bouncing" or other movement of the weather widget. You are referring to the one in the dashboard, correct? I've been using it for years and have seen nothing out of the ordinary.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
I'm using OSX from snow leopard 10.6 and:
on SL - it's moving
on Lion - it's moving
on ML - it's moving

It's basically happens because when the weather icon(the sun) changes to something that is bigger than the icon before, then the bigger icon pushes the whole widget down. And when the icon get's smaller again, the widget position stay where the bigger icon pushed it.

I just modified the weather widget code, it looks like I fixed the moving :D But I will test it for a few days to be sure it's got fixed. Also I fixed the "H:" "L:" translation. There was a bug in the code that prevents these to get translated.

Last edited:

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
I think I fixed it:
Download

I modified the original weather widget, fixed the moving, added an option to make it IOS6-style. Fixed "H:" and "L:" translation. It's a standalone widget so it won't overwrite the original.

Here is a pic from the new style (notice the new checkbox in the settings to enable the new ios6 style):
0LGT5.png

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I think I fixed it:
Download

I modified the original weather widget, fixed the moving, added an option to make it IOS6-style. Fixed "H:" and "L:" translation. It's a standalone widget so it won't overwrite the original.

Here is a pic from the new style (notice the new checkbox in the settings to enable the new ios6 style):

Thanks for this. Finally someone who fixed what Apple hasn't fixed for FIVE years.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I think I fixed it:
Download

Beautiful! :D

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Word, this was actually the first thing I did. Make sure you save that widget for future reference haha.

There was another widget a German dude fixed back in Snow Leopard that I've been using that does basically the same thing nyolc8 did :D

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
Even though I'm not experiencing the moving widget nonsense, I'll use this widget for posterity's sake. Many thanks!

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
Thank you all :) I updated it, cleaned up the additional codes for the ios6 style, achieved the same function with much less code, and disabled some original unneccessary code (so maybe it loads faster): Download Updated

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Thank you all :) I updated it, cleaned up the additional codes for the ios6 style, achieved the same function with much less code, and disabled some original unneccessary code (so maybe it loads faster): Download Updated

I get the attached glitch when using the widget on my rMBP, I hope you can come up with a fix because this is the widget I've been looking for for the past 5 years. :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 11.46.51.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 11.46.51.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 290

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
I get the attached glitch when using the widget on my rMBP, I hope you can come up with a fix because this is the widget I've been looking for for the past 5 years. :D

Is this only happens when the widget in night? Or it's the same when it have the blue background?

Edit.: try this: Link, I think I fixed the issue, let me know if it's working for you.

Last edited:

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Is this only happens when the widget in night? Or it's the same when it have the blue background?

Happens on both themes, (normal and iOS 6) as well as in day and night.

When editing the widget's settings however, everything's fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 13.45.31.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 13.45.31.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 266
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 13.45.38.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 13.45.38.png
    188 KB · Views: 228

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
What's the difference between old and new iOS 6 skin? I'll download this when I get back from holiday, the moving down bug was getting on my nerves!! :)

westonm

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
Huge props for this. The mind boggles at how Apple still hasn't fixed this after, years.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
What's the difference between old and new iOS 6 skin? I'll download this when I get back from holiday, the moving down bug was getting on my nerves!! :)
The old is the original apple weather widget style, the new iOS6 style is what you see on the picture.

Could you re-upload it please? I get 404 when trying to download the file.
Link

Issue still exists, I'm afraid. :(
I think I know what is causing this, I'll PM you a new "test version" soon.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
Retina now fixed, thanks Feed Me for testing it! :)
Link
(Latest is .4, you can check yours in the widget preferences > modified.4 by nyolc8)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.