PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Copy and SSD + HD

msdarkroom
Jul 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
MBP with SSD and HD in optical bay.
HD has plenty of space but isn't empty.

(Note: Full external backup created of both drives already.)

I'd like to make a carbon copy clone of my internal SSD with Lion OS to the internal optibay HD and then do a clean install of ML on the SSD.
Is this a good idea, or does making a CCC to the HD wipe what was originally on the HD?
Will the HD be bootable with Lion on it using the option-key-start method if things go wrong with the SSD?
Thanks for any ideas/help.

blevins321
Jul 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
CCC won't erase your HD. It will work out just like you're wanting it too, and will be bootable.

GGJstudios
Jul 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
MBP with SSD and HD in optical bay.
HD has plenty of space but isn't empty.

(Note: Full external backup created of both drives already.)

I'd like to make a carbon copy clone of my internal SSD with Lion OS to the internal optibay HD and then do a clean install of ML on the SSD.
Is this a good idea, or does making a CCC to the HD wipe what was originally on the HD?
Will the HD be bootable with Lion on it using the option-key-start method if things go wrong with the SSD?
Thanks for any ideas/help.
If you partition the HD, you should be able to create a bootable clone from the SSD. Remember to follow CCC's instructions to also clone the recovery partition.

Weaselboy
Jul 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
If you partition the HD, you should be able to create a bootable clone from the SSD. Remember to follow CCC's instructions to also clone the recovery partition.

If you clone Lion and CCC does not see a Recovery HD on the destination drive, it will create one automatically (assuming one was present on the source).

msdarkroom
Jul 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
Good stuff. Thanks guys.