Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Hey guys, I'm very interested in getting an origami style case. Don't care about the price!

Please give some suggestions!

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Hey guys, I'm very interested in getting an origami style case. Don't care about the price!

Please give some suggestions!

Ozaki icoat slim-y++
or
Moshi versacover

and those two only.
I bought both to do a review for you guys, but so far only the versacover arrived.

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
What about the pong case?

the pong case seems to use the same Y fold style as the Ozaki (perhaps Pong was the first to use such an idea) but I didn't like the price tag for it (over $100), or how much of the top part is exposed, and I saw several bad reviews (of the case itself, but the company being responsive).

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
the pong case seems to use the same Y fold style as the Ozaki (perhaps Pong was the first to use such an idea) but I didn't like the price tag for it (over $100), or how much of the top part is exposed, and I saw several bad reviews (of the case itself, but the company being responsive).

does the ozaki have a magnet for book mode like the moshi? i really like the ozaki but i would love for it to have a magnet

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
does the ozaki have a magnet for book mode like the moshi? i really like the ozaki but i would love for it to have a magnet

no, the Ozaki can't do this because it has the stylus holder in the back that prevents such a mode from being used, although you could always buy a one of those strip of metal adhesives and stick it on to where the cover's magnets would be. Some of the members here have done similar modifications with their ipad covers from various brands.

there is already a ozaki slim Y++ review here by dieburnbot and another one of the Moshi versacover in this forum. If you can wait for me i'll do a Y++ vs versacover assuming the ozaki can come in by next week (already 1 week waiting and no tracking info despite being shipped!!) :mad:

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
no, the Ozaki can't do this because it has the stylus holder in the back that prevents such a mode from being used, although you could always buy a one of those strip of metal adhesives and stick it on to where the cover's magnets would be. Some of the members here have done similar modifications with their ipad covers from various brands.

there is already a ozaki slim Y++ review here by dieburnbot and another one of the Moshi versacover in this forum. If you can wait for me i'll do a Y++ vs versacover assuming the ozaki can come in by next week (already 1 week waiting and no tracking info despite being shipped!!) :mad:

I actually ordered the ozaki icoat slim y ++ today from amazon, hopefully I'll get it soon, I paid $95 with free shipping, did I get jipped?

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
I actually ordered the ozaki icoat slim y ++ today from amazon, hopefully I'll get it soon, I paid $95 with free shipping, did I get jipped?

igearguys has it for $20 less, but like I said, I haven't received mines yet

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
igearguys has it for $20 less, but like I said, I haven't received mines yet

Man, one of the reviewers got it 3 months later! And the site doesn't mention a stylus or anything, could that be why it's cheaper? I've seen it the y ++ on ebay for 64 but that's cuz it doesn't come with the stylus

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Man, one of the reviewers got it 3 months later! And the site doesn't mention a stylus or anything, could that be why it's cheaper? I've seen it the y ++ on ebay for 64 but that's cuz it doesn't come with the stylus

small update, I got a tracking number and indeed igearguys shipped it out last week, but wont get here until next week. They chose some really slow free shipping methods :mad:

all Y++ comes with a stylus or it should.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA

That reviewer is me. I had it preordered for 3 months. The actual shipping time was 2 days.

I have the y++ and the ozaki travel case Rome. Love both of them.

Last edited:

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
How is the travel vs the y++?

It's really nice. I think Ozaki uses better materials on the y++ and travel, because the travel's front cover is almost as thick as the y++. It also doesn't have the flapping open auto/wake problem that the y does and both of them come with the strap to hold the cover in place during a lot of movement. As for feel, the travel is smoother when you hold it, the y++ feels a little tacky because of the faux leather material. Y++ comes with a mini stylus, and the travel just comes with a stylus holder so you can use your own.

As for looks I really like the look of the Rome case, it's a nice change of pace. However, if you're looking for a professional looking case I would go with the y++.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
It's really nice. I think Ozaki uses better materials on the y++ and travel, because the travel's front cover is almost as thick as the y++. It also doesn't have the flapping open auto/wake problem that the y does and both of them come with the strap to hold the cover in place during a lot of movement. As for feel, the travel is smoother when you hold it, the y++ feels a little tacky because of the faux leather material. Y++ comes with a mini stylus, and the travel just comes with a stylus holder so you can use your own.

As for looks I really like the look of the Rome case, it's a nice change of pace. However, if you're looking for a professional looking case I would go with the y++.

nice! where did you get the travel case and how much?

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I would actually be interested in selling my Ozaki Y+. It hasnt even been outside of my house. I just havent taken my Moshi off so I think thats the one I am keeping. The Ozaki is really nice though.

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
i finally got my Ozaki icoat slim-y++.

now as for a comparison between the Y++ and the Moshi Versacover, I'll write a more detailed review later but to summarize..

its really hard to suggest one over the other.. they are both nice cases with different sets of pros and cons.

There are some things I prefer on the Moshi and some things I prefer on the Ozaki.

that said, I'm leaning SLIGHTLY towards the Moshi simply because its significantly cheaper and the way it folds does not have the interior of the cover touch the surface. but I do like that stylus ozaki provides and the feel of the case is nicer. However I prefer the way moshi achieves its angles. typing i think the ozaki is more flexible because it has better flat angles but the Moshi is still usable. The Ozaki has a thicker cover that doesn't move so easily from the screen.. however the Moshi has a stronger magnet which holds it slightly better when holding it upside down.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Just received my Ozaki SlimCoat Y+ for ipad 3 in Carolina Tarheel blue ordered off EBay for $55 with free shipping. I am an admitted case addict and I have to say this is my favorite case thus far. I don't seem to have the problem with the drooping front cover. This case is quality- made, sleek, protective, and I love the wide variety of folding positions. The stylus is a nice add-on. A very versatile and well thought-out design. A great buy at $55 IMO. Just don't tell my spouse I bought another case!:eek:

fastmax

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
The Moshi looks like an amazing case. I'd really like to have the portrait mode that it offers.

Does anyone have the translucent version? It would be great to know your impressions, as I'm debating between that and the black one.

nang

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
The Moshi looks like an amazing case. I'd really like to have the portrait mode that it offers.

Does anyone have the translucent version? It would be great to know your impressions, as I'm debating between that and the black one.

i have the translucent moshi one for my ipad 3. i been using for a few days now, its not too bad. i also have another case on the way from ozaki the slim y ++, it will be delivered today also. the only thing i dont like about moshi, is that it doesnt offer the movie mode like the apple smart cover, thats the reason why i bought the ozaki to see if i can put that to use. i will settle on one of the case, i will return one of them back. if i ending up keeping one of the cases, i can sell you or anyone else whose interested in the one im not using or i can just returned it back. with the moshi i notice the magnet on the back doesnt always work. sometimes the front case does not stick to the magnet on the back. i find it in portrait mode, where i use it most, the magnet does stay intact most of the time. the front cover of the moshi does comes off just like the ozaki ive been reading on. it depends on how you are holding the front cover. with only my thumb on the lower front cover of the moshi in (landscape mode) and the four of my finger on the back in a position where the front cover is facing downward it will flop open, if you flap it down a little bit. now reversing the finger position this time. four finger on the middle front cover and only my thumb on the back, facing the front cover downright again the cover stays put. all of this is holding in landscape mode. i dont think the magnet is as strong as some people say here. at least not for me. the moshi front cover stay puts pretty solid though, it doesnt trigger the sleep/wake function so easily like the okazi ones i read about, it never triggers it ever! it stays put really well. i just have to wait for the ozaki, and see what happens when it arrive today and i will let you know more later.

----------

got carried away, forgot to answer your question. i like the clean look of the translucent it offer as for the black one i never got a chance to hold one. i think both may have different material though since the translucent is not rubber, is just a hard solid smooth finish and looks nice from the back. i wish it was a lighter grey though.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have the Moshi in white

I have a bunch of cases, and this is one of my favorites.
1. Portrait mode is super. Very stable and a nice angle. Great for reading books.
2. Landscape orientation is also very good.
3. Typing is not my favorite. Kind of floppy, and takes up too much space on the table. But I rarely use typing mode anyway.

Fit is very good.

Really, this would be my go-to case, but I just wish they had a few more colors besides shades of grey. Would order another one if they came out with Tan.

fastmax

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
It's nice to get the feedback about the color choices and also the functionality.

I'm now a bit hesitant, since my main reason for looking at the Moshi is to get a higher typing angle than I currently have with the Bridgeway. If the typing mode is not very stable, this might not be the case for me. Of course, portrait mode would be a real plus.

nang

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
ozaki slim y ++

just got the ozaki case this morning. im returning the ozaki back. to me the pictures of the slim y ++ on websites look as if the case is a high quality premium case. when i handle the case it felt and look cheap, certainly not worth the high retail price mentioning. when the origami case fold into its position landscape, portrait or movie mode like the apple smart cover it just didnt feel solid like the moshi. the ozaki case felt like it was cheaply made from china, that can be had for $19.99. one thing i dont like about ozaki cases is that they have those crazy ugly looking designs on them as if its made for little kids. this is one of the other reason why i went with the Y++ because i thought it had no design. i was wrong. it had a swirly design inside the back case, where you snap in the back of your ipad into. not only that, this case is not in the same league as the moshi. the moshi may look cheap also when i first got it, its because of its light weight and translucent back cover that make it such so. i think anything translucent will make it look cheap to me. the magnets on the ozaki is very weak compare to the moshi. the front cover doesnt even stay closed it can be open very easily. but the y++ does come with the velcro snap on the back so you can securely closed the front cover. to me this is too much of a hassle. not only that i think it makes the case sort of tacky. in the long run that band in the back would probably stretch or snap apart. the moshi to me is uniquely made. its design is clean and almost perfect. almost like its design by apple. i wish the magnets on the back and front of the moshi was stronger. but its usable. as for movie mode. i prefer the angle like apple smart cover. the moshi doesnt have this angle. it has landscape mode which is kinda steep for me when im watching movie laying it down next to me. but that landscape mode is ok when your sitting down and watching it. i actually found a way to deal with it, you can put something small in the back case to prompt it up straight like the apple smart cover so i can enjoy watching my movie mode, or i can flip the moshi case upside down in landscape and try to let it sit stable for movie mode. when doing this it also give it a straight flat angle just like the apple smart cover movie mode and thus its not very stable but i can deal with it. the ozaki have that angle just like the apple smart cover. but still the quality wasnt great as i thought. pretty much, the ozaki is going back. im very picky when it comes to things. evidently the details and quality of the moshi is much better then the ozaki. if you like apple designs and clean looks get the moshi. if you like designs and graphics on your case get the ozaki. i think the unique case here is the moshi. also it has professional look and feel to it. something about the ozaki, it just feels cheaply made and designs is for kids.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.