PDA

View Full Version : Finder/spotlight is missing some files

karohan
Jul 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
I have a bunch of songs in lossless uncompressed audio format .aiff. I would like to convert them to lossless compressed audio format .m4a (ALAC). That's easy enough, especially because I have all the .aiff files stored in one folder (organized in folders by album).

But Finder/spotlight is missing .aiff files when I type ".aiff" in the search box. If I search for "aiff" in the extension field, even less files show up. Clearly, it's not finding all my files, which is important because after I convert, I'm going to delete all my old .aiff files. If Finder can't reliably find all my .aiff files, I might delete .aiff files I haven't converted yet. It's also not reasonable to go through each album folder manually (unless that's the only option).

Is there a more reliable way to grab/find all files of a certain extension in a folder?

Matthew Yohe
Jul 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
Where are these files located?

You could always try to turn off and on indexing on your drive (which could take awhile depending on the content on your drive)

karohan
Jul 28, 2012, 02:26 PM
The folder containing all these files are located in my home directory.

----------

Where are these files located?

You could always try to turn off and on indexing on your drive (which could take awhile depending on the content on your drive)

Also my only issue now with spotlight is that even if I do re-index, how do I tell if the count I get after is correct? I wish there was another way (maybe in terminal), so I can compare.

GGJstudios
Jul 28, 2012, 02:30 PM
But Finder/spotlight is missing .aiff files when I type ".aiff" in the search box. If I search for "aiff" in the extension field, even less files show up. Clearly, it's not finding all my files
Try re-indexing your drive: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409)

If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"