PDA

View Full Version : Xcode 4.4 stability?

larswik
Jul 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
I caught a new video by this guy with some new things you can do with xcode 4.4. literals in general that seemed like a time saver. I went to download it and a lot of people are complaining about it in the reviews. Have any users here upgraded and see that it is stable?

Cromulent
Jul 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
I'd say it was worth staying up to date with the latest version of Xcode.

Just remember to make sure you download the updated versions of the command line tools and the other Xcode tools (if you need them).

Matthew Yohe
Jul 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
I caught a new video by this guy with some new things you can do with xcode 4.4. literals in general that seemed like a time saver. I went to download it and a lot of people are complaining about it in the reviews. Have any users here upgraded and see that it is stable?

Most people reviewing it on the App Store are the same type of people on this forum.

You should update.

larswik
Jul 29, 2012, 11:44 PM
OK I 'll grab it.

thanks.

xStep
Jul 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
I found out the hard way this evening that Apple is deprecating the Bezeled style of UISegmentedControls. If you're not doing iOS development then perhaps you have nothing to worry about. Watch out for such changes.

I found this out with Xcode 4.3.3 which at least still draws the style. Xcode 4.5 sets the style to Plain. I'd expect the same for 4.4 also.

Anyway, I now have to recover from this. I think I'll finish my upgrade on the old machine with Xcode 4.2 which will not cause me this headache. I really want to concentrate on getting my upgrade out, not messing with silly little Apple alterations that make zero sense to me.

I couldn't run Xcode 4.3 a week ago. I'm jumping from Snow Leopard and Xcode 4.2, to Mountain Lion and Xcode 4.4, with a brief stint in Lion territory. Oh what fun. :rolleyes:

larswik
Jul 30, 2012, 02:24 PM
I found out the hard way this evening that Apple is deprecating the Bezeled style of UISegmentedControls. If you're not doing iOS development then perhaps you have nothing to worry about. Watch out for such changes.

I found this out with Xcode 4.3.3 which at least still draws the style. Xcode 4.5 sets the style to Plain. I'd expect the same for 4.4 also.

Anyway, I now have to recover from this. I think I'll finish my upgrade on the old machine with Xcode 4.2 which will not cause me this headache. I really want to concentrate on getting my upgrade out, not messing with silly little Apple alterations that make zero sense to me.

I couldn't run Xcode 4.3 a week ago. I'm jumping from Snow Leopard and Xcode 4.2, to Mountain Lion and Xcode 4.4, with a brief stint in Lion territory. Oh what fun. :rolleyes:

Ya... Things seem to change so fast these days that by the time I am use to one thing the game changes again. You can't seem to rely on anything anymore to be a standard. I have no intention of developing anything for the iCloud because in a few years that will be gone too.

I updated to Lion to keep up with the pace of xcode and that broke some of my old favorite apps that do not have updates and never will like Haxial disk catalog. Next month I will buy a Mac Mini to exclusively just develop on and do nothing else to keep everything I have safe.

Cromulent
Jul 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
I updated to Lion to keep up with the pace of xcode and that broke some of my old favorite apps that do not have updates and never will like Haxial disk catalog. Next month I will buy a Mac Mini to exclusively just develop on and do nothing else to keep everything I have safe.

If you want to keep your code safe I would highly recommend you sign up for an account with Bitbucket (http://bitbucket.org/). You can then create unlimited private repositories to store your code in. Simply learn how to use Git (http://git-scm.com/) or Mercurial (http://mercurial.selenic.com/) and then use Bitbucket as a kind of backup service.

The reason I suggest Bitbucket and not Github is because you get unlimited free private repos with Bitbucket where as you need to pay for them on Github. You also get to choose between Git and Mercurial on Bitbucket where as Github is obviously just Git.

larswik
Jul 30, 2012, 06:12 PM
Thats good to know. I have not learned to use Git yet even though it is a check box when you start a project.

I meant safe as in all the other applications that I have on my computer and having them survive when Apple releases new updates that make up update the OSX to use the latest version. I think it is better to have a separate computer to program with.