Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
this is kind of annoying, I noticed now with Mountain Lion that you can no longer see the batter time remaining in the Mac Menu bar. Is there a tweak or something to put in terminal to get it back.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Settings (Preferences) > Energy Saving (lightbulb) > Power Adapter > check box by Show battery status in the menu bar

Then right click the battery icon and check "Show percentage"

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Settings (Preferences) > Energy Saving (lightbulb) > Power Adapter > check box by Show battery status in the menu bar

Percentage isn't time.

wethackrey

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2007
Redondo Beach, California

Right... that displays the percentage charge and, if the battery isn't fully charged, will display time remaining in the drop down menu. It does not display the time remaining in the menu bar however. I find this a bit annoying as well.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
So, there used to be a native menu icon with the "remaining time" of battery life? I never realized that. I use Battery Health app on my late 2011 MBP 13. Has all sorts of data - including remaining time - and can be put on the dock (cool icon) or in the menu bar.

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
I am using slimbatterymonitor for the time being but what hoping there was a tweak to make it come back again.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I am using slimbatterymonitor for the time being but what hoping there was a tweak to make it come back again.

Maybe you could request it from the developer of Mountain Tweaks. I asked him if he could add a feature to remove the Notification Center icon from the menu bar and he responded by saying he will try and find a way. I'm using Bartender but my point is he might be able to add this to Mountain Tweaks.

http://tweaksapp.com/app/mountain-tweaks/

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
this is kind of annoying, I noticed now with Mountain Lion that you can no longer see the batter time remaining in the Mac Menu bar. Is there a tweak or something to put in terminal to get it back.
This is already being discussed in several threads:
From the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link:
On the MBPR and on ML, the Menu Bar battery indicator no longer offers "Time Remaining" as an option on the Menu Bar. It still appears in the dropdown menu.
From the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link:
  • Your "time remaining" indication is an ever-changing estimate, based on the current workload of your system. It will fluctuate up and down from minute to minute as your power demands change. It is not perfectly accurate, but only an estimate.
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I didn't realize people obsessively stared at the time remaining. I sometimes check it via the dropdown when I get into "the red".

ac3320

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
CA

superriku11

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Maybe you could request it from the developer of Mountain Tweaks. I asked him if he could add a feature to remove the Notification Center icon from the menu bar and he responded by saying he will try and find a way. I'm using Bartender but my point is he might be able to add this to Mountain Tweaks.

http://tweaksapp.com/app/mountain-tweaks/

To remove Notification Center from the menubar I believe there is a separate plist that loads the menu icon. If not and if it's all part of the main NC plist then there's not much you can do if you actually use NC. If you don't you can unload the plist(s) and have it not take up computer resources or menubar space altogether.

GoGamecocks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011

They took that option out because the percentage fluctuates too much. I used to use it too, but you can always click on the battery status to see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.