PDA

View Full Version : Parental Controls Time Limits not working

Reckful
Jul 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
Mountain Lion parental controls time limits no longer work properly. There are now no warnings that a user's time is up plus it won't log them out automatically. So as long as they don't log out, they can play all day. My children notified me of this glitch ~ they're too honest! Mountain Lion still keeps track of their time. If they've gone over their time limit and they log out, Mountain Lion will not let them log back on. And if, for example, I give them a 15 min extension to log back in but they've gone over by half an hour, they'll get logged out immediately and I have to give them another extension or a longer one. Anyone else having similar issues?

herteltm
Jul 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
Same problem here. Haven't found a remedy yet. In fact my wife has asked me to pleeeease downgrade to 10.7 if I can't fix the problem. Help.

dennismo
Aug 9, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hi Guys,

I have exactly the same problem in both my Macbook and the iMac. Fresh installation on both machines. Time limits doesn't work. I cannot figure out what is wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks

C.G.B. Spender
Aug 9, 2012, 12:31 PM
It doesn’t work, because there is a bug.

lescuderomama
Aug 18, 2012, 11:53 PM
I am having the same problem. I am now logged into my daughter's account, which has a time limit of 11:00EST (it is now almost 1:00 a.m.)! I even logged out and then logged back in again!

Why in the world would a company as big and as (supposedly) good as Apple have such an onerous bug in such a simple program!

It's the little things like this that determine how I feel about a company.

MacConeghey
Aug 20, 2012, 09:44 PM
I just got off the phone with AppleCare about this very issue. They said that this first release of Mountain Lion is having problems when both the time limit and the bedtime restrictions are activated. When I had both limits set for my kids accounts the bedtime function was the only feature that functioned properly. Once I disabled the bedtime restriction the forced sign out of the time limit became functional this evening. I hope that Apple gets this worked out so the features will BOTH be functional, but at least without switching back to Lion you can use one of them it seems - time limits for my kids!

bkpingel
Aug 28, 2012, 08:53 PM
We have been having the same problem since we upgraded. We have noticed that once our boys log out they aren't able to log back in. We will try disabling the bedtime feature like the last post and see how that works. It did create some long discussions in our house about honoring limits. It was too bad that it was a programming error.

paul.lambert
Sep 2, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

I came across an interesting twist to this problem. I have an iMac on Lion which I allow remote control for Parental Controls. I have a MacBook Pro on Mountain Lion. I remotely updated the Parental Controls on my iMac (Lion) from my MacBook (ML), and now the iMac is exhibiting the same problems as described in this post ... this problem has propagated to Lion!

Very disappointed in the lack of testing for this feature. Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave. :(

herteltm
Oct 7, 2012, 09:20 AM
After updating Mountain Lion to 10.8.2 the problems with parental controls discussed here are gone. :)
Time limits now seem to work again. I am not sure if this already happened with the 10.8.1 update, I only tried after installing 10.8.2.

gigas65
Nov 9, 2012, 01:47 AM
Please help!!
After two years of controling my kids' time limits and specific login time restrictions, it seems impossible to do it now.
Somehow settings have been messed up and having tried many solutions read in forums, i have not managed to fix it. Neither time limits nor time logins work. Even after the 15 minutes warning that the account's time is approaching to end, it keeps logged in for another hour more or less.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)