Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I just started out learning javascript, I have read and worked through the missing manual javascript book, which doesn't really delve too deep into javascript. So I picked up the DOM scripting - webdesign with javascript book and it is kinda hard to digest for me and I find myself not really being motivated to thoroughly read and work through this book. Are there any javascript books out there that are somewhere in the middle of those two?

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
You don't say what other programming experience you have but I'll assume not much.

In a way previous experience of languages like C, C++, Java or C# will both help and hinder you - help because the individual commands/statements are very similar; a hindrance because Javascript is actually a very different beast from the above languages. This can be seen in a lot of rather poor examples on the web from five or ten years ago that are still being promoted as the way to do things.

Unless you are a natural (and very few are) and just "get it" then a period of learning is in order. Either work through the examples in the book (I don't know what it is like) or think up a project of your own and put things together, searching for help at each sticking point.

Not everyone picks things like programming concepts up in the same way so a particular book that works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

I know it hasn't explicitly answered your question but hope it helps anyway.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for your input, as you've guessed correctly I have no prior programming experience. I guess it's best to come up with a project and learn as I go along.
As you've stated correctly one book works perfectly for one person, while it doesn't for another. I will try out another book and see, if it works out better.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
see if this helps you. It's free http://www.codecademy.com

Thanks for the suggestion, I already have an account there and did some of the exercises. One thing I actually like about the DOM scripting book is that it teaches actual things that can be implented(image gallery, video player controls, slideshows). I hopefully will be getting into it more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.