Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golfer4lyfe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I've purchased ML and would like to install it on a different Mac of mine. I've made a bootable flash drive, but I was wondering about if this would work. The thing is I use a different icloud and app store account on this computer from the original (other members in my house use this computer). Just wondering if this would cause any problems? As I understand, updates are through the App store now.

Thanks!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I've purchased ML and would like to install it on a different Mac of mine. I've made a bootable flash drive, but I was wondering about if this would work. The thing is I use a different icloud and app store account on this computer from the original (other members in my house use this computer). Just wondering if this would cause any problems? As I understand, updates are through the App store now.

Thanks!

Well, since it's your computer (or you have control over it at least) there will be no problems for you to just change the app store login for when there are ML updates and then change back afterwards. So go for it :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
there will be no problems for you to just change the app store login for when there are ML updates and then change back afterwards.

you arent even required to login to install updates, its like apple is inviting you to pirate or "share" one purchase with friends

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
you arent even required to login to install updates, its like apple is inviting you to pirate or "share" one purchase with friends

Really? Wow, that's kind of cool actually.

I've got two separate Apple ID's, and when logging in to one, I can't see the purchases made with the other, so I assumed that updates would work the same way...

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Updates are handled the exact same way as before, it's just that the user interface for it has moved to the mac app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.