PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave

cep
Jul 29, 2012, 04:45 AM
Who did Apple hire to head up Mountain Lion, The guy who headed up Windows Vista? It was released half baked, not even at beta levels. I bought into Apple 3 years ago, as I loved the simplicity of use. Everything just worked, you entered the mail questions to set up mail, your mail worked. You entered the info for Ichat it worked. Look at these message boards, Mail problems, iMessage problems, notification problems, dictation problems. Who did the QC, a monkey? Half of the touted features don't work right as IOS6 isn't out yet. Why put out the OS? Imessage doesn't push back and forth between my iMac, Iphone and iPad, but it looked great at WWDC. I had a password for my e-mail accounts prior to ML, when I opened mail I had to enter a password, that password allowed mail to filter through until I quit mail. That was a great feature that no one can tell me how to fix. Right now I cant even send e-mails through my iMac. The outgoing server formats are all screwed up.

Tander
Jul 29, 2012, 04:48 AM
iMessages works flawlessly between my iPad, iPhone and MacBook.

Mail had to upgrade its DB before I opened it - but it is working as expected.
Dictation works well - if you pronounce your words correctly.

I think you're having issues from a bad upgrade?

Try a clean install.

SlCKB0Y
Jul 29, 2012, 04:51 AM

This, or just plain old PEBKAC.

I'm not having any of the issues.

Pock
Jul 29, 2012, 04:56 AM
Please remember that these boards are a small representation of the Mac community, and people are more likely to post problems rather than the fact that everything is working well.

10.8, for me, is working well. It's fast, a lot more polished than lion and I've only come across a couple of small bugs so far.

alexreich
Jul 29, 2012, 04:58 AM
I haven't had one issue. All of my software has been working flawlessly, Mountain Lion upgrade, iMessage, speech-to-text, etc.

cep
Jul 29, 2012, 05:04 AM
All of your iMessages that go to an Iphone number are coming to you computer?
You are all OK with the no need for a password for your e-mails, or does yours ask for a password?

Tander
Jul 29, 2012, 05:07 AM
All of your iMessages that go to an Iphone number are coming to you computer?
You are all OK with the no need for a password for your e-mails, or does yours ask for a password?

iMessage doesn't work that way bud.

All messages sent to your Apple ID will sync across all platforms. Not to a cell number. Those messages will remain on the device. This is not a bug - it's the way it was designed.

I see no need to have a password on my emails - that would irritate me. I have a system login password and that's good enough for me.

gr8tfly
Jul 29, 2012, 05:16 AM
You're quoting reports of problems as if you are experiencing them all yourself. The only one you seem to have is with Mail, and you can find probable fixes for those right here at MR - and they're most likely not unique to ML.

As for message boards full of problem reports, you must have seen different ones than I have. Read the reviews, forums, blogs, etc., - you would know whatever you've seen are not widespread by any stretch of the imagination. Those with problems seem to be fewer than I can remember for any release in recent memory. Remember, typically only negative experiences get posted.

The only feature I can think of off-hand as requiring iOS 6 is iCloud Safari Tab syncing. Hardly "half the touted features".

For instance, on my Mac, Messages syncs perfectly between my Mac and iPad. In fact, I was remarkably impressed by the apparent lack of latency. Sending a message from my iPad showed up on the Mac almost before my finger left the Send button (and vice-versa).

I believe I did have a minor hiccup with some notification, but it was resolved by disabling, then re-enabling it. They've been solid since (reminders, calendar, messages, mail, and even a 3rd party app (Etrefeed)).

For reference, my install of ML was an upgrade of Lion, which was an upgrade to SL, which was an upgrade to Leopard which shipped on my Mac (Early 2009 UB MBP 17" 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 500GB Seagate XT). No clean installs between upgrades.

cep
Jul 29, 2012, 05:17 AM
So, if you are set up with an Iphone way before Imessage was out for ipad and macs how are all of the conversations running on all of the devices?

Agathon
Jul 29, 2012, 05:20 AM
Who did Apple hire to head up Mountain Lion, The guy who headed up Windows Vista? It was released half baked.

My iMessage and iCloud services work as advertised. They coughed and spluttered at first, but it's mostly OK now. I realise, however, that some people have had a worse time of it.

Look, I may come off as a bit of a prat saying this, but you shouldn't install a new Mac OS on day one if you are risk averse. I've been a day one installer of every single version of OS X, and in most of those cases there have been odd bugs that usually get fixed with an update not long after launch. 10.0 made the iTunes music on my CRT iMac sound like the Chipmunks were singing it. That was an annoyance.

Believe me, nothing in the ML update compares to the switch from .mac to MobileMe.

bushido
Jul 29, 2012, 05:22 AM
no problems at all on my mid 2009 mbp :) been working almost perfect since the DP1

sounds more like user errors or "misinformed" in your case

cep
Jul 29, 2012, 05:28 AM
The OS was in testing for months, maybe Im the only one(Im not, there was another thread besides my other one talking about the lack of asking for a password for e-mail)that wants to be prompted for a password. There is a lot of talk on these boards regarding the merging of apple ID and phone # so that the threads would carry from device to device to computer. That is something that shouldn't have to wait for IOS6 to implement. The WWDC conference shows the messages on all platforms. Maybe I am wrong to think that I should be able to have that feature on the OS as shown.

hafr
Jul 29, 2012, 05:30 AM
So, if you are set up with an Iphone way before Imessage was out for ipad and macs how are all of the conversations running on all of the devices?

Am I the only one that don't understand what this guy means?

Please elaborate.

----------

The OS was in testing for months, maybe Im the only one(Im not, there was another thread besides my other one talking about the lack of asking for a password for e-mail)that wants to be prompted for a password. There is a lot of talk on these boards regarding the merging of apple ID and phone # so that the threads would carry from device to device to computer. That is something that shouldn't have to wait for IOS6 to implement. The WWDC conference shows the messages on all platforms. Maybe I am wrong to think that I should be able to have that feature on the OS as shown.

Any iMessage to your phone number will only reach your phone. But if the person contacting you sends it to the e-mail address that you have set up in iMessages on your iPhone - it will reach any and all iDevice plus computer that you have set up to receive messages on that address.

It seems like you don't know how it works, and because of that you think it's not working.

bushido
Jul 29, 2012, 05:30 AM
Maybe I am wrong to think that I should be able to have that feature on the OS as shown.

but it does work ... which i found rather annoying and turned off immediately.

i dont see the point of having the convos from my mac being pushed to my iPhone or iPad, both would never sht up and keep beeping while i'm only gonna read them while im on my mac anyway.

so what i'm doing instead is

phone number for iMessage on my iPhone
iCloud for iMessage on my iPad
and gmail for iMessage on my Mac

that way i dont get bothered by convos on each device while i'm only using one at that time anyway

gr8tfly
Jul 29, 2012, 05:41 AM

Setup the iPhone to receive at your Apple ID in addition to your phone number. Notify your contacts to send iMessages using that, rather than your phone number. Setup ML Messages with e same ID. iMessage only works between iOS (and now ML Macs). You will still receive SMS messages normally on the iPhone; ML Messages doesn't support SMS anyway.

Just double-checking myself, i found one (of several via Google) article describing the above: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-set-up-messages-for-mac-2012-7?op=1

Additionally, you can initiate a conversation from the Mac to an iPhone using its phone number (iMessage capable iPhones only). Once the conversation is started, the iPhone user replies normally, as it would any other iMessage capable device.

Edit: Ok, there could be one other feature that could require iOS 6: the merging of iPhone numbers and Apple IDs. I do remember that discussed, though I'm not 100% sure on the timing - it could happen when iOS 6 is released, or "soon" after. The current solution will work the same, essentially. Anyone capable of sending iMessages can use your Apple ID which can be setup in parallel with the phone number on your iPhone. The missing capability is being able to blindly send to an iPhone's phone number - the sender would still need to be on an iPhone themselves or another iMessages capable device. Messages sent to your number from any other device would still be an SMS - an iPhone only protocol (as far as iOS or OS X is concerned).

Playgear
Jul 29, 2012, 06:01 AM
Let's not forget that with iOS 6, Apple is bringing the ability to unify your Apple ID and Phone Number so that iMessages sent to either are received at both.

i.e. iPad and iPhone running iOS 6 - someone sends an iMessage to your phone number, your iPad will be able to receive that message as well, allowing for complete synchronisation of iMessage across all devices.

cep
Jul 29, 2012, 06:13 AM
Playgear, I agree with you. There is no reason that Apple needs to wait for IOS6 to implement the combining of apple ID and phone #. I see it as imessage is part of the new OS, but its not setup as fully functional. I have people that message me on my iPhone via phone #, I dont want to start giving out my apple ID just so people can reach me on my computer.

hafr
Jul 29, 2012, 06:18 AM
Let's not forget that with iOS 6, Apple is bringing the ability to unify your Apple ID and Phone Number so that iMessages sent to either are received at both.

i.e. iPad and iPhone running iOS 6 - someone sends an iMessage to your phone number, your iPad will be able to receive that message as well, allowing for complete synchronisation of iMessage across all devices.

Whilst this is certainly good news for me, who like having everything synced everywhere, it could be bad news for others. For instance, a friend is a happy camper, being able to use iMessage but still separate it so that messages sent to his private mail or phone number won't show up on the iPad which is used by the whole family.

He just added an e-mail address in his Apple ID which he uses for the iPad, that is consequently used for communication with relatives and family friends. Those messages are also synced to his phone and computer.

If it's merging, the question is whether or not it will be Apple ID-specific, or if it will just simply add the option of adding a phone number to the Receive messages at-setting on other devices than the iPhone.

----------

Playgear, I agree with you. There is no reason that Apple needs to wait for IOS6 to implement the combining of apple ID and phone #. I see it as imessage is part of the new OS, but its not setup as fully functional. I have people that message me on my iPhone via phone #, I dont want to start giving out my apple ID just so people can reach me on my computer.

You don't have to. You can create an @me.com alias on www.icloud.com and then add that mail address to your Apple ID and use it for iMessage.

It would take you a few minutes to create it and change the settings, but after that you can tell people who are sending you iMessage-messages to use the new e-mail address you just created, for instance imessagecep@me.com.

gr8tfly
Jul 29, 2012, 06:19 AM

Create another Apple ID and use it only for iPhone iMessages. You don't need to use it for anything else. In my case, my Apple ID is my email address, so they already have it.

matrix07
Jul 29, 2012, 06:24 AM

And it's one year too late. They should unify it once they allowed iPad Wi-Fi and iPod Touch to send iMessage. This doesn't even have to wait til ML or iOS 6, so I agree with the OP somewhat. I doesn't just work.

Playgear
Jul 29, 2012, 06:32 AM
Create another Apple ID and use it only for iPhone iMessages. You don't need to use it for anything else. In my case, my Apple ID is my email address, so they already have it.

Why not just add another email address that people already know to the list of "You can be reached for messages at:"?

Same list in Messages on 10.8 and iOS 5.

----------

And it's one year too late. They should unify it once they allowed iPad Wi-Fi and iPod Touch to send iMessage. This doesn't even have to wait til ML or iOS 6, so I agree with the OP somewhat. I doesn't just work.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending Apple ;)

I, too, think this should have been implemented already, but I guess it's better late that never...

gr8tfly
Jul 29, 2012, 06:38 AM
Why not just add another email address that people already know to the list of "You can be reached for messages at:"?

Same list in Messages on 10.8 and iOS 5.

That would make it a bit easier. I was under the impression the email needed to be associated with an iCloud account (an alias, for example).

The "Dude"
Jul 29, 2012, 06:51 AM
My iMessage doesn't sync properly either. Some messages show up, some don't.

Also, PowerNap doesn't work as advertised for Time Machine backups on the rMBP. And yes I have the option checked, and yes I'm plugged into AC power. I also have the SMC update.

Ratatapa
Jul 29, 2012, 07:15 AM
My iMessage doesn't sync properly either. Some messages show up, some don't.

Also, PowerNap doesn't work as advertised for Time Machine backups on the rMBP. And yes I have the option checked, and yes I'm plugged into AC power. I also have the SMC update.

But do you believe in the heart of the cards!

krspkbl
Jul 29, 2012, 07:25 AM
I haven't had a single problem with ML. It hasn't caused any issues. In fact it's made things a lot easier to do. Sure, this OS isn't big on features but it's really stable and runs efficiently. It's really polished up.

Maybe you installed something wrong. Did you do a clean install? If not then maybe that is the reason for some of your problems. Everything that you said you had problems with runs absolutely fine for me.

Of course, it isn't going to be perfect for everyone. Not everyone has the same hardware, software, preferences etc. This can contribute to bugs/glitches and other problems. That's why people come on these forums to get help. In a perfect world nobody would post with any problems but what is perfect? Some people might have no problems at all and some people might have everything going wrong for them.

I'd recommend backing everything up and doing a clean install. If you still don't feel satisfied then downgrade to your previous OS. Mountain Lion is only 13.99/$19.99. It's not a huge dent in your wallet. I personally would have paid double/triple for Mountain Lion.

As for your title, it sounds really immature. As much as we all loved Steve, he's dead. Apple is in new hands now. Steve put Tim in charge and he's now running Apple his way. That's what Steve wanted. If Steve didn't want Tim to be in charge then he would have picked someone else and it's quite common knowledge that Steve told everyone not to think "What would Steve do?". We need to accept Apple is changing. Personally, I see nothing wrong with the way Tim runs Apple.

cjmillsnun
Jul 29, 2012, 07:33 AM
To the OP.

Every version of OS X has had issues with the 10.X.0 release.

Snow Leopard had an issue where people's account details were erased for example.

The issues here are minor in comparison.

sigbiz
Jul 29, 2012, 07:53 AM
From the beta reviews we knew this was not a 'game changer' new operating system for those who had Lion - which I did - and it certainly isn't. Everything worked for me correctly following one more reboot than asked for. I have quite a lot of software and apps installed on my Macbook Pro early 2011 and all third party as well the Apple software worked correctly.

Do I notice the difference? - barely. Launchpad is maybe a little smoother. I don't notice that much difference with Mail. Safari is not my browser of preference but Safari 6 does seem faster to load pages... And yes, maybe spotlight's a little faster also.

Overall I use my Macbook for my work and pleasure. The work can be intense and I like my machine working at maximum efficiency. I approached the upgrade as a bit of routine maintenance to get the best out of my usage and have the machine ready for any new stuff coming out. On that basis I thought it worth the 13.99 / $19.99. If you're expecting a revolutionary experience and already have Lion you'll be disappointed however.

cep
Jul 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the apple products, they just work. You normally don't have to screw around with reconfiguring things. As far as the title, I am a fen of what SJ has done with the company and its products, He wouldn't have released this without addressing the issues of components being delivered as incomplete. The level of QC has slipped from when he was running things.

kodeman53
Jul 29, 2012, 10:45 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the apple products, they just work. You normally don't have to screw around with reconfiguring things. As far as the title, I am a fen of what SJ has done with the company and its products, He wouldn't have released this without addressing the issues of components being delivered as incomplete. The level of QC has slipped from when he was running things.

You have one problem, that few others have, and ML is junk? :rolleyes:

mabaker
Jul 29, 2012, 10:52 AM
To the OP.

Every version of OS X has had issues with the 10.X.0 release.

Snow Leopard had an issue where people's account details were erased for example.

The issues here are minor in comparison.

True words. Memories fade away way too fast for people. Hint hint politics.

Major.Robto
Jul 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
I was one of the first few to use 10.8 as a gold master. I love it so far. only a few small anoyices but hell a computer as old as mine is going to have the odd glitch now and then,

I know some times the finders favorits tend not to load.

(This happend twice, but also I was burning a dvd at the time so that may be why)

somme times my dock lights don't show up for open porgrams,
(First boot after a system update)

Other then thoes two strange problems I am quite happy with 10.8

....OHHH wait!!!!!

Paraless and VM fusion both do not work on 10.8!

They need updates to work.

The fix for that is to go to Vitual Box, (free) or bootcamp (free also)

I went to boot camp and its been a nice experince after I change some settings,

Its so quick to get in to windows and back to osx, and windows lives off 48gb

cep
Jul 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Kodeman, I didn't say it was junk, I said that it wasn't a finished product. Mail has plenty of issues, check this board and the Apple board. There are issues with notifications. Imessage doesn't work as advertised at WWDC.

nuckinfutz
Jul 29, 2012, 11:27 AM
Kodeman, I didn't say it was junk, I said that it wasn't a finished product. Mail has plenty of issues, check this board and the Apple board. There are issues with notifications. Imessage doesn't work as advertised at WWDC.

No operating system is finished at launch. I haven't noticed any issues with mail personally but I wouldn't be surprised if "some" people where having issues. That's the nature of new OS launches. Some people experience issues while others don't.

C64
Jul 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
I personally haven't had any problems so far. In fact, this has been the most stable .0 release of OS X since I can remember.

NewAnger
Jul 29, 2012, 11:45 AM
iMessages works flawlessly between my iPad, iPhone and MacBook.

Mail had to upgrade its DB before I opened it - but it is working as expected.
Dictation works well - if you pronounce your words correctly.

Try a clean install.

All of these work great for me as well. I had dictation type out the wrong word only once but it works better than I thought it ever would. iMessages works as advertised as well.

I think Apple did a great job on ML.

kodeman53
Jul 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
True words. Memories fade away way too fast for people. Hint hint politics.

They can't be true words. Right in this thread we have someone who personally knows Steve Jobs would not have released ML and that Apple's QC has slipped since SJ died. All you people who have not had problems must be delusional.

JacaByte
Jul 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
Having absolutely no problems with OS X 10.8.0 over here, everything is working as advertised.

sjinsjca
Jul 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
iMessages still has the occasional glitch but it's improved from the beta.

Save that, I've experienced no issues whatsoever with ML after doing my in-place install. It's noticeably snappier on my nearly-three-year-old MacBook Pro, and I'm loving the new features and functionalities. I've also not rebooted since installing it on the first day. (Well, at least not since figuring out my 2008-vintage beta of Shadow.app was causing issues, and removing it.) Runs like a hose.

Try the clean install. If that doesn't fix it, consider the apps and load-on-boot utilities and extensions you are using; there might be something loading that's simply not compatible with ML.

----------

....OHHH wait!!!!!

They need updates to work.

Can't speak for Parallels users, but VMWare Fusion's "update" is simply their current version, 4.1.3. It's been available for a while, since well before the Mountain Lion Gold Master IIRC. Anyway, it's a free update to Fusion 4.x users.

Virtual machine platforms reach deep into the bowels of your computer, so it's no surprise that a major OS update necessitates the latest version.

Isira
Jul 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
Parallells released an update (http://kb.parallels.com/114343) about 2 weeks before Mountain Lion went public.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
The only problem I have with Mountain Lion is that it could just as well have been a 10.7.X release. But what can you expect for 16 euros.

I hope 10.9 will be a bigger update.

IzzyJG99
Jul 29, 2012, 02:41 PM
I upgraded last night. Haven't had many problems. Safari crashed twice on me, so I sent in the reports. Considering this is 10.8 and Safari 6.0 it's gonna be first release buggy.

Notification Center doesn't quite work all the time. Sometimes you have to reset the preference you picked for. I'm sure they'll work it out.

As for iMessages. Yeah, it's a bit annoying if you have an Mac, iPad and iPhone with the same e-mail address set up to receive messages at. But you can do two things. Either turn off Messages on your iOS devices or change the e-mail address they received messages at. I've got two @Gmail accounts and my @Me.com address. Each of my three devices has individuals ones and it works out fine. The whole carrying over a conversation from your iMac to your iOS device to me is a novelty. But I can see how people would find it useful.

Sounds like a lot of your problems are simply preferences that got mucked up during upgrade. I'd advise a clean install, which I will probably do once 10.8.1. comes through the pipe.

2ndchancephones
Jul 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
I had ZERO issues with my upgrade! Super pleased. People that are complaining about ML not being a huge upgrade need to realize that it was only $19.99!!!!!! What a bargain.

Oh...the VIP mail is awesome and easy to set up.

----------

I've had the beta iMessage for awhile and haven't had issues between my MBP, iPhone and iPad.

----------

All you people who have not had problems must be delusional.

I guess this is a joke?

ivnj
Jul 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
All computers have problems and its expected. I'll be dead before we ever have world peace, a fountain of youth, or any bug free computer (regardless of mac, pc, or linux, or whatever).

aaronvan
Jul 29, 2012, 03:19 PM
If Steve is rolling around in his grave it's because he was buried alive, not because you think ML sucks.

cedwhatev
Jul 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
Just from the App Store reviews, 76% of Mountain Lion users have rated this OS 5 out of 5. I think I'd call that a success. :D

daneoni
Jul 29, 2012, 04:40 PM
First off, Steve has passed on and NOTHING Apple does will affect him at his grave. People should drop this notion. Its insulting to both the living and the dead

Second, a lot of the issues reported on this board are down to people who previously had unrelated issues (cobwebs) with their systems that have now surfaced by upgrading the OS. Thats not to say there aren't bugs of course there are but not as bad as people are making out

I've been using ML and it has been 98% flawless for me. iMessage works, Airplay works, Twitter integration works, Mail works, iCal works, Safari works, Dictation works, Notifications works etc and it is faster and better than Lion ever was.

App store reviews have also been very positive for the most part. Therefore i ask; if i'm not complaining, and 1200 or so users from the App store are happy with ML, does that mean the OS is terrible and shouldn't have shipped...or more logically many of the complaints are simply down to User Error?

NewAnger
Jul 29, 2012, 05:05 PM
I love when people say to take a look at all the complaints on the Apple support forums. If anyone went there and looked at those forums and took them at face value, they would think Apple is a failure at everything they make.

Support forums for any company are usually not a representation of the quality.

AdeFowler
Jul 29, 2012, 05:24 PM

Steve was very much alive when Final Cut Pro X was released, not to mention MobileMe.

Billywiz1307
Jul 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
You're right cep, but you'll never get any sense out of this lot on here, it seems if you aren't sycophantically bulling up Apple, you're some sort of heretic. I also bought into mac about 3 yrs ago, when there used to be colour in Finder and iTunes until control freak Jobs turned it off. I also like Apple gear but sometimes they do some very illogical things and outsiders like me can't understand why for example iTunes on the iPad is not the same as iTunes in OS X, on the iPad it's really iTunes Store etc. iTunes is nothing to do with just tunes, it's video, tv shows, podcast, books you name it. ichat was brilliant, FaceTime was not as good and now Messages is irritatingly illogical and not thought through and there is no 'manual' as such from Apple. In fact, that's my main criticism about Apple, they bring out great products and an upgrade like ML with allegedly 200 new features and you're left to stumble your way around blindly trying to discover them and how they are supposed to work.
Rant over.

Credgett
Jul 29, 2012, 05:42 PM
Imessage doesn't work as advertised at WWDC.

How exactly? You are able to have your imessages synced across your devices. This is working as advertised in ML

borostef
Jul 29, 2012, 06:24 PM
In some way I have to agree with the thread starter... I think that Apple is slowly (and still reversibly) becoming an iOS company.
The MacPro fiasco, and it is a fiasco... Steve would either not have released the so called update to the line, or would have said something like "It is new because I say so", either way... get some or become HP, Acer, Asus or something like that...
Putting Mountain Lion out there, without any real improvements (except iOS stuff, that some people will find really useful, and majority will not) would have not happened with Steve in charge.
If you wanted to amaze the iOS crowd you should have at least waited for iOS 6 and Facebook integration, than you could at least say "Boom, there it is!"...
No MacPro update, no iMacs, no MacMini... just a glorious, shiny laptop, that still needs to prove it's worthiness...
I hope I'm wrong, but things seem a bit fishy to me...

iVeBeenDrinkin'
Jul 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
I love people who think they know what Steve Jobs would think. Obviously, you don't.

SR45
Jul 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
All computers have problems and its expected. I'll be dead before we ever have world peace, a fountain of youth, or any bug free computer (regardless of mac, pc, or linux, or whatever).

And if the OP is unhappy, he/she can go to the Microsoft platform, and all will be well. :D

Thus far, no real issues to report. Some small glitches, but Apple will fix those in the future updates. Just be a little patient, give some trouble reports to Apple and enjoy the new OS as much as possible.

cocky jeremy
Jul 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
I haven't had one issue. All of my software has been working flawlessly, Mountain Lion upgrade, iMessage, speech-to-text, etc.

Same here. Safari crashed the first time i opened it, but other than that, it's been totally perfect. Faster, more stable, less RAM usage overall, etc. In Lion i would typically have about 3 GB of RAM free. In Mountain Lion i keep about 4 - 4.5 GB of RAM free, and i do that while running MORE applications.

SDAVE
Jul 29, 2012, 10:59 PM
Actually ML is a fairly good release, even for a .0.

I had zero problems from upgrading from Lion to ML (I plan to do a clean install soon).

It's as good as Snow Leopard. $20 is a no brainer.

If Apple releases 1 update per year for $20, I'm for it.

borostef
Jul 30, 2012, 03:32 AM
I love people who think they know what Steve Jobs would think. Obviously, you don't.

And you do? I'm not saying I know Mr. Jobs thoughts, but I also will not subscribe to the "If it has an Apple logo on it, it must be perfect." philosophy.

hafr
Jul 30, 2012, 03:48 AM
In some way I have to agree with the thread starter... I think that Apple is slowly (and still reversibly) becoming an iOS company.
The MacPro fiasco, and it is a fiasco... Steve would either not have released the so called update to the line, or would have said something like "It is new because I say so", either way... get some or become HP, Acer, Asus or something like that...
Putting Mountain Lion out there, without any real improvements (except iOS stuff, that some people will find really useful, and majority will not) would have not happened with Steve in charge.
If you wanted to amaze the iOS crowd you should have at least waited for iOS 6 and Facebook integration, than you could at least say "Boom, there it is!"...
No MacPro update, no iMacs, no MacMini... just a glorious, shiny laptop, that still needs to prove it's worthiness...
I hope I'm wrong, but things seem a bit fishy to me...

I'm pretty sure it would have, to be honest. It's not like every single thing that Apple did was a big ol' "holy ****"-moment before he passed away, and you will always have people saying "this isn't enough, it's not the Apple I know and love".

To believe that Apple really changed that much since his passing is to look for something that just isn't there. If he would have passed away before the 4S, you would have probably said that if he were still alive it would have been iPhone 5 with the tapered design. Before Lion and it would have been "Steve would never have allowed this PoS to be released!"

He wasn't god, he wasn't almighty, he wasn't perfect, not everything he touched turned into a golden massage chair with a coffee maker and a beer cooler, and there isn't really anything to indicate that Apple has become any different than it would have been with him still alive.

----------

And you do? I'm not saying I know Mr. Jobs thoughts, but I also will not subscribe to the "If it has an Apple logo on it, it must be perfect." philosophy.

No, but you sure seem to have a "but if Steve Jobs had anything to do with it, it probably is" philosophy ;)

jtcedinburgh
Jul 30, 2012, 04:05 AM
I'm very pleased with ML. It might be in my head, but it seems to liberate my Retina Macbook Pro, which just seems to feel more cohesive and sorted running ML than it did with the Retina-modded Lion.

No problems to report. Have yet to investigate battery life and some of the new features, but all in all I'm happy so far.

vmachiel
Jul 30, 2012, 05:13 AM
I'm also surprised by the many problems that occur with people installing mountain lion. I use many of the functions available in OS X and haven't had a single issue.

Luckily, this forum has always been great at solving problems:)

Stewahn
Jul 30, 2012, 06:07 AM
when I upgraded from SL to Lion both programs Preview and Textedit crashed right after I started them. Since I did not use them that often it did not bother me much. Now I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion the two new features such as reminder and notes have the same issue and most unfortunate: MAIL CRASHES after starting the prog. Sorry fanboys, but I am pretty pissed now. Cant wait to get in touch with the support hotline tonight...
Do you guys have the same issues?

honem
Jul 30, 2012, 11:01 AM
You do realize Steve Jobs gave the company a four year road map just before his death right ?

He knew his health was declining so he worked on a road map for Apple's products and services for the future to ensure the company wouldn't go under without his guiding hand there.

Tim Cook was appointed to lead as he's brilliant at operations. He's insanely good at things like sourcing high quality components at cheap prices. One of the reasons why the iPods are so cheap is because of his work. Tim's just following the pipeline Steve set out for him.

Rolling in his grave. LOL

Comedy gold!

mactmaster
Jul 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
****************IhCj3

borostef
Jul 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
"Tim Cook was appointed to lead as he's brilliant at operations. He's insanely good at things like sourcing high quality components at cheap prices."

And that is the thing that made Apple great... Don't think so...
If Steve Jobs have prepared the road for Apple for the next few years (which you do not know for a fact) that is great... But what after that four years... If they do not come up with new ideas (which I hope they will, really like their computers) do you really think that their savior will be the guy who can get the best price on components?
Anyway, this is all speculation... We'll see... Hope for the best

HurryKayne
Oct 1, 2012, 05:14 AM
This if only Cook and its board didn't choose to simply not follow Jobs guide lines.
What we had till here :
Ipad spec bump,
MacBookPro 2012
Ios 6 (with Maps disaster , so they say apologizing) and unchanged old skeumorphed GUi;
Ridicolous Mac Pro Cpu Bump;
Thunderbolt tech ..left unused (no external gpu for example or reduced prices);
No Imac 2012:mad:,while Imac 2011 still sold at full price after over 500 days since its release)
with a strange marketing strategy beside..then..if they plan to cut desktops why to sell the Classic MacbookPro 2012 at over 2200€ while 6970-i5-Imacs are at 1915€....(and this while on 26/10 Windows 8 lands not saying its good or not even if i see this positive for Apple users..i mean there's more with competition);
Iphone 5 ( an enlonged spec bumped 4S ).

And what for the future?
Ipad mini..;
Ipad 4 (spec bumped 2012?);
maybe a new Mac Pro somewhere in the 2013...;
Apple I-Tv...they said (rumour sites)Xmas but it won't .
This with the complete silence over Apple desktops future by Mac Sites,
not even a question and very very few leaks/rumours
(except iphone 5 - Ipad mini)
maybe due to the Cook double down.

Frankly Cook isn't pleasing anyone but himself.