Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I have right clicked copy it from applications.

Then right click pasted it to documents.

Will it be safe there for after I install ML ?

Because I assume it will disappear from applications after installation.

Or would it be safer copying it externally?

Thank you.

lazer155

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
It should still be there after you install. But remember you can always redownload it from your apple id's purchase history so there really is no need to back it up.

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for the reply I realise this but I have internet limits.

Already gone over my limit this month downloading ML. :D

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yes, default the installer deletes itself after install, but if you move it or copy it to an external it will be saved.

jW

Last edited:

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Taken from Macworld http://www.macworld.com/article/1167855/installing_mountain_lion_what_you_need_to_know.html

People with slow or limited-bandwidth Internet connections: If your Internet connection is slow, it will take a long time—perhaps days—to download the 4GB+ Mountain Lion installer. Even worse, if your ISP enforces caps on your Internet-data usage, you could end up paying a hefty price for the privilege.

If you’ve got a Mac laptop, you can instead tote it to your favorite Apple retailer, the library, a friend’s house, or the office—anywhere with a fast Internet connection—and download the Mountain Lion installer there. In fact, when Lion was released, Apple’s official policy was to invite you to your local Apple Store and use the store’s Internet connection to download Lion; store employees would even walk you through the purchase, download, and installation processes. I suspect that will continue to be the case with Mountain Lion.

Of course, if your Mac doesn’t happen to be portable, or if you live in an area where you can’t borrow a fast, cheap Internet connection, you'll need to find another solution. If you’ve got an Apple Store nearby, you may be able to take a portable hard drive or an 8GB-or-larger thumb drive to the store and ask to purchase and download the installer on one of the store’s Macs; similarly, you could borrow a friend’s computer, or—if you’re lucky enough to have a Mac at the office—use your work computer to download Mountain Lion.

Last year, Apple made available a $69 bootable flash drive containing the Lion installer; the company hasn’t yet announced if it will do the same for Mountain Lion. I’ll update this article with the latest information as it becomes available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.