Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Just where is the Apollo going when it debuts?

• The new iMac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PowerBook

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • PowerMac

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • PowerBook & iMac

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Straight to hell

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2001
Can anyone point me to any indepth article about the apollo? I'd like to know just why the majourity of people 'round here thinks it is desktop bound. It makes no sense for Apple to invest time in furthering a desktop G4 when, presumably, a G5 would be right around the corner. The apollo, from my vantage point, appears to be Ti and iMac bound. So, does anyone have the story here? Speculation?

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
The apollo will be a stop gap for the powermac until the G5 comes out. I very much doubt the G5 will be out till NY. Certainly seeing as apple only started to show it off to companies in october, it will normally take about half a year after that.

there is nothing that says the G5 is just around the corner. By the way most cpu releases go, it will be launched in july.

it will be out later this year unless you believe the latest "insider" rumors....which i dont (strange seeing how the rumors have stopped since rev 0.8 huh? that says something)

Got a feeling that...

... we ain't gonna see any G5s for at least another year. With Moto's track record, vague roadmap and absolutely no mention of a desktop G5 on their site (to the best of my knowledge), I just feel that hoping for a G5 PowerMac in the near future is a pipe dream. Heck, even the normally over-hyping Mac OS Rumors guys don't believe we're gonna see this thing for some time. I think it's more realistic to hope for trans-GHz Apollos sometime in the next two months.

But this is all pure speculation and opinion, of course. I don't think any of us has enough factual information to really be able to make an accurate prediction.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Way beyond a pipe dream.

Even in my wildest Smokum-Big-Houkah fantasies, I still have all that annoying time-to-market stuff floating around my head. A G5 any time in the next 6 months and Legalization are in the same category. The World just isn't ready.:rolleyes:

hinkhous

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2001
G5

Like I said in another post:

>As a side note, iMacs were introduced with G3 processors on >May , 1998. The G4 PowerMac was not introduced until October >13, 999, meaning that the two processors coexisted in the >consumer and pro lines for over 17 months. Does that mean >that we shouldn't expect to see G5 desktops until June of 2003? >I doubt it. Most likely is the transition of the Apollo G4 at higher >clock speeds than the current incarnation of the G4 until the G5 >is a commercially viable microprocessor. I for one am ready for >the PowerPC to break the GHz barrier once and for all.

Am I hoping the G5 comes out soon? Definitely
Do I think Apple is ready to axe the G4 desktop already? No way.

What does that mean? I think they will try to squeak more mileage out of the G4 until the G5 is perfect and at eye-popping speeds. But we shall see what is in the cards.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Eyepopping IS THE WORD.

See parallel thread:

Main Page > Macrumors Forums > Current > Hardware Rumors > I'm not sure what to think about this G5 thing...

The question is not if but when. When and in what will we see it first.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
too much then

if it will be so like you guys think than i feel that the towers are overpriced, even with an Apollo. I like to see dual processors and better graphic cards...to leginement the price.

-
just my 2 cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.