Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireworksdesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Hi guys , is there any reason i should upgrade to mountain lion ?

These are some features of ml that has caught my eye but im not sure if its that important

gatekeeper < i download a lot so this is very important

icloud < dont use it

messages < i only use yahoo / msn / and skype = . I think messages doesnt incorporate skype and msn right ? btw right now i use adium and skype

notification center < is this another fancy gimmick or is it really useful ?

safari < im using the search bar url plugin

Aside from this , does ml make the air snappier ? Can you give more reasons why i should upgrade please?

mike5250

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
Philadelphia
I was thinking of upgrading as well and don't mind the $20 fee. I just don't want it to still have issues. I would like airplay to work with my apple tv.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hi guys , is there any reason i should upgrade to mountain lion ?

These are some features of ml that has caught my eye but im not sure if its that important

gatekeeper < i download a lot so this is very important

icloud < dont use it

messages < i only use yahoo / msn / and skype = . I think messages doesnt incorporate skype and msn right ? btw right now i use adium and skype

notification center < is this another fancy gimmick or is it really useful ?

safari < im using the search bar url plugin

Aside from this , does ml make the air snappier ? Can you give more reasons why i should upgrade please?

I upgraded on my 2011 13" MBA i7. I like it so far. The biggest reason is that "instant on" is truly instant now. Other than that, what you asked about -

gatekeeper - can easily be turned in the preferences

icloud - i don't use it either and don't need to. dropbox works just fine though, i've been having trouble with the skydrive app though...

messages - does everything ichat used to do. this seems more tailored for people who have iphones.

notification center - a bit useless now, but when more apps start taking advantage of it, it will be much better. right now, gmail in chrome works with it and that's pretty good. i see this feature more as "dashboard 2.0", once devs start writing widgets to fill this space, it will be very good.

safari - i use chrome.

snappier - see above. yes, it's certainly snappier. resumes quicker is the main thing i noticed.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I've upgraded and I can recommend it.

Safari - snappier.
Notifications - useful.
Messages - useful esp with iPxxx devices.

fireworksdesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
instant on sounds nice , aside from the power nap feature too.

if i dont update to ml , i won't get any software updates for bugs/fixes right ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.