PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion stops downloading after 53.25MB

timb0land
Jul 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
Just purchased Mountain Lion from the app store for my iMac, it's downloaded just 53.25MB and has now stopped. It's been stuck like this for about 5 hours with the status stuck on "calculating". Tried rebooting but makes no difference. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Any advice gratefully received.

immigrantb
Jul 30, 2012, 08:04 AM
Same thing happened to me - 53.25MB on iMac - I had successfully downloaded it on a MacBook previously - so I have no clue!

timb0land
Jul 30, 2012, 09:04 AM
I've spoken to Apple. They seem to think it's a problem with my router having a download cap of 2GB. Apparently this is only happening on BT Business accounts and can only be resolved by BT.

timb0land
Jul 30, 2012, 09:37 AM
Now spoken to BT. A firmware update is required to complete the download which they said would happen within the next 48 hours. Let's see!

dice90
Jul 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
I had the exact same issue and resolved it by downloading a program called HotSpot Shield. I was also stuck at 53.25MB. I don't know what caused it but Apple just told me that it was because my internet was too slow... I am running at about 7Mbps download speeds and 2Mbps upload. I know it isn't the fastest thing in the world but my friends all get around 2 down and .5 up and they got it downloaded... It seemed to have something to do with mine specifically. HotSpot Shield resolved it no problem.

wpoons
Aug 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
I'm another who's had the 53.25MB failure issue, and it's 99.9% certain to be a router issue. If you're in the UK then the chances are you're with BT for your broadband. As mentioned above, there is a known issue with the 2Wire BT Business Hub, see link below, and probably other routers too.

http://btbroadbandandhowtosurviveit.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/bts-2-wire-woes.html

"If you want Mountain Lion, or any other large download, then you'll need to get another router, or firmware upgrade if available." That however can be a pain, and if BT don't play ball then an expensive one. There is another solution however, and one that means no contact with BT, call centres or your local PC World :eek:...

What I did was put in an old BTHomeHub that I had lying around to get it passed the 53.25MB point, and then paused the download while I reinstalled the 2Wire BT Business Hub. I then resumed the download and the whole 4+GB was on my iMac in a few minutes (well just over the hour). If you don't have a spare router, borrow one, you'll only need it to get the download passed the 53.25MB stage. For completeness, I waited until it was at about 150MB before pausing.

Hope that helps some. :)

A2TC
Want to know how to fix all known PC issues...click here (http://www.apple.com/uk/mac/).