Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevenQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Hi everyone!

Just a quick note for everyone who might find this useful. I e.g. don't need Autosave at all as I'm working much with text- and also graphic-drafts, and i always forgot to make copies before esiting them... i can now finally use Textedit and Pixelmator without having to worry about messing up my originals.

When you now go to System Preferences -> General, you can determine whether to "be asked, if changes should be saved when closing documents" (Autosave) and whether to "close windows when quitting apps" (Resume). I only have the german expressions on my Mac right now so this might be phrased a bit differently in english. :)

Greets

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto%202012-07-28%20um%2019.51.27.png
    Bildschirmfoto%202012-07-28%20um%2019.51.27.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 423

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Also if you click the ? icon it explains each option in detail. I only noticed that in Lion. Not sure if it's in previous versions. But it's been helpful for me in 10.8 with certain new things that I am not familiar with.

sss67

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Hello,

I believe these two options are worse than useless and I am going to tell you why.

If you know your crappy autosave app will change your documents you will force yourself to always work on copies (or change software, as I did).
With these options you may have the ILLUSION to have control while it may not be the case. In fact documents are autosaved and the popup actually asks if you want to revert to the original state.
This is a totally idiot implementation (another one by Apple) of version control. It should NOT touch your file until you tell you actually WANT your changes to be saves.
Imagine this scenatio:

1. you use Preview to open the best photo you ever made because you want to prepare a Keynote presentation (let's say the photo is on a shared drive, not supporting versions)
2. you edit your photo (crop, resize or whatever)
3. you copy it and paste it in Keynote and you work on the presentation for some time
4 (hidden). autosave saves your modified photo without your consent, but you know it will ask you if you want to revert back...
5. while you work on Keynote, Preview crashes (it DOES crash occasionally)
6. hours after you complete your presentation, save it and prepare for live pres.

Your photo is gone forever.

You may argue Preview does not crash. Then imagine a thunderstorm cutting the electricity. Same risk.

My advice: AVOID autosave, versions and all the applications that force to use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.