Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After years of speculation, Apple has finally introduced a multi-button mouse specifically designed to work with OS X Tiger.

Dubbed Mighty Mouse, the new input device has an optical sensor, touch-sensitive pads instead of moving click parts on the top, a 360 degree Scroll Ball, and force-sensitive side buttons that can be programmed by the user.

The mouse has a price point of $49 and is available immediately from the online Apple Store.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Very impressive! I never thought I'd see Apple release a 2-button mouse, but today is the day! The thing looks sweet too, well done on Apple's design team.

I like the 360 degree scroll feature too, and the fact that this mouse can do so much yet is so clean in its design.

A couple questions though:

- is this going to start shipping with new Macs?
- is this only Tiger compatible? If so, why wouldn't it work in Panther?

Regardless, thumbs up Apple! :cool:

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
burrrr... it feels a bit chilly out here, I think Hell froze over.

oh look at that in the sky, it's a pig...

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
AWESOME!

That is the coolest mouse I've ever seen. And the name is awesome. Only one problem. NO BLUETOOTH VERSION :(. I Don't know why they wouldn't make one, it being so cool.

yellow5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
I really hope this ships with new macs....

As for Panther compatibility...

The actual mouse should work fine, but you won't be able to program all the cool buttons like you can with 10.4.2

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
emotion said:
hmmm will it work with 10.3.x?

and i'd like bluetooth.

looks neat tho

deff need bluetooth and wish it was still clear and stuff but still looks sweet

thrillz3

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2004
Wohoo!!!!

But I want more! What about a Bluetooth version?

(Kind of serious there....it would be reall cool for school. From the looks of it, you can use that scroll sphere to navigate the mouse on the screen, if you so desired.)

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Wow hell did freeze over! Cool though. I guess this will help with more of that pc user "heh your mac only has one button" crap.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Yes it works with 10.3.9 and below. It also works with Windows 2k/XP, but it's not obvious if it's programmable. I think you need 10.4.2 to program it.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
I know its a bit early to say this but does anyone know if the 'mighty mouse' is included with the mac systems i.e. Powermac and iMac?

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I think we deserve an Apple tv commercial that kind of look slike this:

bscap0693yq.jpg

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
Awesome--but again....bluetooth? Maybe in the next few weeks theyll update the line with a bluetooth version of this one.

phanofwclark

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2005
It's really too bad that it doesn't work with bluetooth or have any wireless capabilites. I was all set to get up and buy one... Oh well, guess I'll have to settle with my Logitech.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Will it work with (insert OS here)

Software Version Compatible Features
Mac OS X v10.4.2 or later : Enable or disable scrolling, assign primary and secondary buttons, activate Exposé, display Dashboard, open Spotlight, switch applications or open applications.

Mac OS X v10.3.9 or 10.4.1 and earlier : Assign primary and secondary buttons and activate Exposé. Display Dashboard in Mac OS X v10.4 or 10.4.1.

Mac OS X v10.3.8 and earlier : Use as a multibutton scrolling mouse.
Windows 2000 or Windows XP : See the Mouse control panel.

-from apple.com/mightymouse/specs.html

diulei

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2005
California <-> Tokyo
Pretty cool design, though kind of expensive for a wired mouse. I'll probably get one if they every release a BT version.

I like the translucent designs better as well, but it still looks nice.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
Thats the wierdest design i have ever seen, i cant imagine using a touch sensitive mouse, i mean, i never lift my fingers to click i just press down. I'm interested as to how well it works.

On another note having touch sensors and a built in speaker dosent sound to wireless friendly, unless you want to change the batterys every day of course :p

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
It's about time!

Seems very cool, and the price is pretty good (though I my 5-button super comfortable MS mouse was only $30).

My only worries are:
-Price is a bit steep (no surprise here)
-The side buttons should be independent of one another, adding 1 more button.
-The design looks slightly 'Compaq-ish' with the shiny gray and all.
-Hopefully it is more comfortable than the original Apple mice. They are ergonomic disasters; I get carprel tunnel just looking at them.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
This is pretty awesome. I would love to see it bundled with the imacs and powermacs as the default mouse. Is there even a reason to keep the standad pro mouse around?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.