Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm installing a 256GB SSD as my main drive on a MacBookPro and a 750GB HDD as my "archive" drive.

How can I get the best performance on Aperture? I've heard about people keeping their library on the SSD and the Masters on the HDD. How does that work? Won't reading the masters on the HDD become a performance bottleneck?

My biggest Aperture library is 400GB so I can't fit it all on the SSD. My plan A is to run my current Aperture library on the SSD and then every 6 months or so, archive my selects to a library on the HDD. Is there a better solution?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Your proposed plan is exactly what I do.... I keep my active Aperture Library on my SSD and when the SSD starts to get full I move it to the HDD and start a new library on the SSD. Rinse and repeat as necessary. :)

itsky

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Do you guys use referenced masters or do you store them the aperture library? Thanks!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Do you guys use referenced masters or do you store them the aperture library? Thanks!

I personally find that my library is better off when I let Aperture manage it. This creates a single big library, but it works for me since it only gets up to around 100GB. When it gets huge, and I mean over 300GB and taking up a majority of your hard drive, then referenced masters would keep the performance up.

The SSD+HDD solution is great for a referenced library. :)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I use a different setup: I have one (small) library on my SSD with »current« projects and one large library on my hard drive which contains all projects. After finishing editing on my »fast« library located on the SSD, I merge projects into the »slow« library.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
For me: a single library on SSD, importing as managed files, then move lower rated files as referenced masters to a rotational drive when I need to free up space on the SSD. Once a year or so.

The key for me is to have recent/best images and previews on fast storage. Very happy with this.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
"Aperture Library" on SSD, which contains Aperture's "how to adjust each image" data and the previews (48GB total), and then original files as Referenced Masters on HDD (300GB total).

To do this, open your Aperture Library that's currently on HDD, select all images and Relocate Masters, create a new folder on your HDD and let Aperture relocate them all there.

Then close Aperture, drag the much-smaller-now Aperture Library from your Pictures folder (where it lives by default unless you moved it) onto the SSD, then double click it to launch it from the SSD. Or open Aperture normally, and use File>Switch To Library... to select it.

Reading the masters is only a bottleneck if you're batch-processing images, and obviously it's not going to be as fast as loading the full-size zoomed-in version of each individual photo as it would be if you had them all on an SSD, but unless you've got the SSD space that's not an option anyway.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The experience so far...

I've now been living with an SSD+HDD configuration for a week. Having the library on the SSD and the Masters on the HDD doesn't really take any advantage of the new SSD to a point worth my investment. I still see the beach ball on occasion though Aperture does feel a little snappier -- perhaps a Mountain Lion or Aperture 3.3.2 virtue and not the SSD at all.

On the other hand, having the full library on the SSD works wonders! Commands are near instantaneous and I can breeze through my library.

So the limitation is on the size of the SSD and the inevitability that it will fill up quickly. I've devised a workflow that I think will work quite well for both keeping my library at a manageable size and improving performance.

I have two libraries on the SSD. Pro Library and Personal Library. The Personal library is linked with my iPhone, iPad and Photo Stream. I sometimes use iPhoto with it but also open in Aperture.

For my Pro library, I'll import and work on all my professional photos on the SSD. My workflow has always been to fly through a shoot adding 1 Star to all the photos I'm going to consider keeping, then when entering the editing phase, I hide all the unrated photos and work on the 1 stars. When I'm done, I go through these selects again and add a second star to all the photos that I will deliver to the client. Some photos get 4 or 5 stars -- 4 is best of the shoot, 5 is all time best photo (I use 3 stars sometimes to add emphasis on which photos will go to the client when I have a big shoot with lots of 1 and 2 star pictures).

I'm going to use this star rating to cull my library by about 80%. Every 3 months or when the need arises, all I have to do is hide all my starred photos and just show unrated pics. I'll Select All and export all those photos to a new library on the HDD which I'll name i.e. "Unrated-Aug2012" then delete those from the Pro Library. I'm left with a much smaller library on the SSD of just my rated photos. This takes just minutes.

This will also help with backups since I'll only be backing up photos that I feel are important and not an additional bunch of fluff that I may or may not ever look at again. I'm creating a vault that will back up my Pro Library but not the unrated libraries (if I lose them to failure, it might just be a good thing to clear out some clutter). I keep 2 copies of this vault. One at home, the other in my bank's safety deposit box.

This system will work well when I eventually do decide to get a new MacBookPro with only SSD storage. It's not imperative to have those unrated photos with me at all times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.