PDA

View Full Version : loginwindow process uses more than 5gigs of RAM

surjavarman
Jul 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
I went to bed yesterday and I put my computer to sleep. And this is the result.

Well normally when I put my computer to sleep I would usually have 3gigs of free ram and the next day it would have been replenished to 6gigs of free ram. My rMBP also never have any page outs and it never uses the swap. It has been like this ever since I got my rMBP with 8 gigs of ram and under Lion.

Now I have got a process that is using more than 5 gigs and I got a lot of blue memory yet it is still paging out and using the swap. I want this to stop because its wearing out my ssd and its just not necessary.

GGJstudios
Jul 29, 2012, 11:22 PM
I went to bed yesterday and I put my computer to sleep. And this is the result.

Well normally when I put my computer to sleep I would usually have 3gigs of free ram and the next day it would have been replenished to 6gigs of free ram. My rMBP also never have any page outs and it never uses the swap. It has been like this ever since I got my rMBP with 8 gigs of ram and under Lion.

Now I have got a process that is using more than 5 gigs and I got a lot of blue memory yet it is still paging out and using the swap. I want this to stop because its wearing out my ssd and its just not necessary.
Launch Activity Monitor
Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
Take a screen shot (http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X) of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
Post your screenshots (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14126379&postcount=16).

surjavarman
Jul 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
Launch Activity Monitor
Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
Click on the [/B]System Memory[/B] tab at the bottom.
Take a screen shot (http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X) of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
Post your screenshots (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14126379&postcount=16).

well if I do that then I might compromise my system. I have some private information thats going to be revealed if I show everything. I have already given everyone my username so I am already at risk.

GGJstudios
Jul 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
well if I do that then I might compromise my system. I have some private information thats going to be revealed if I show everything. I have already given everyone my username so I am already at risk.
No, that won't reveal anything personal that you haven't already revealed by your other screen shot. No one can do anything with your user name.

surjavarman
Jul 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
Alright here are they. But I don't see how that is relevant

GGJstudios
Jul 29, 2012, 11:36 PM
Alright here are they. But I don't see how that is relevant

When is the last time you restarted your computer?

surjavarman
Jul 29, 2012, 11:40 PM
When is the last time you restarted your computer?

10 hours ago because of an software update. Before that I was using ML for 3 days without any reboot and without any problems. Before ML I was using Lion for weeks without a reboot and problems

GGJstudios
Jul 29, 2012, 11:48 PM
10 hours ago because of an software update. Before that I was using ML for 3 days without any reboot and without any problems. Before ML I was using Lion for weeks without a reboot and problems
I don't see anything that would cause page outs, based on those screen shots. You still have plenty of inactive RAM available. There's no way to tell what memory usage was at the time of the page outs, or which process was the culprit. I'd restart again to reset your page outs to zero, then keep an eye on it under normal use.