Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ML on non-Airplay mirroring MBP's: Worth it?

• Yes, it's smooth and fast

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Yes, it's won't be as fast/smooth as Lion, but it's still worth it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's not as smooth and fast

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No, it's not worth it at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
So this is for those of us who have "old" MacBook Pro's. Old meaning 2010 or older mind you... you know, the MBP's that can't run AirPlay mirroring.

From experience, how smooth/fast does ML run on these older MBP's? I have a 2009 C2D MBP with 4GB RAM. Lion isn't as fast as SL was, but it's smooth right now without any hiccups. How will ML fare?

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
2009 MBP with 8 gig RAM, and this thing is smooth as butter, and I love everything about it, simplicity and streamlined....

I don't need air play yet, but when my battery dies, I will def buy a new laptop and enjoy it, but for 20 bucks, this is a easy decision imo

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
2009 MBP with 8 gig RAM, and this thing is smooth as butter, and I love everything about it, simplicity and streamlined....

I don't need air play yet, but when my battery dies, I will def buy a new laptop and enjoy it, but for 20 bucks, this is a easy decision imo

Good to hear! Do you know if 4GB is enough to enjoy a good experience? I'm probably going to get a newer MBP (hopefully 13" retina one once they come out with it), so I don't want to upgrade to 8GB RAM just for a year. Oh and what's the processor speed? Sorry for asking, but I've heard some things about ML making older MBP's slow, which I can't have.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Good to hear! Do you know if 4GB is enough to enjoy a good experience? I'm probably going to get a newer MBP (hopefully 13" retina one once they come out with it), so I don't want to upgrade to 8GB RAM just for a year. Oh and what's the processor speed? Sorry for asking, but I've heard some things about ML making older MBP's slow, which I can't have.

Sure thing....2.26Ghz. RAM is dirt cheap and easy to install, I think for spending 20-30 bucks, its better for resale when you do buy that new MBP-13 inch retina, which is funny because thats the exact one I am waiting for...

I'd assume 4 GB is a decent user experience...I wouldn't know otherwise, but knowing Apple they would prob streamline it for 4GB since that is basically what every new Mac comes base (outside of retina)

Ideally I want a 3.0Ghz quad core i7 macbook pro 13 inch with retina, 16 gig ram and SSD...that'd future proof me for a good 5 years +

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.