PDA

View Full Version : Searching SMB shares on ML.. Anyone got a it working?

chandler99
Jul 30, 2012, 01:28 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone been able to search SMB network shares on Mountain Lion or is it still broken?

phobox
Jul 30, 2012, 02:40 AM
As far as I recall, searching (using Spotlight) network shares has been disabled for quite some time in OSX. The last version I remember working properly in that area was Tiger. I believe they did it intentionally to prevent saturating the network (which would be a nightmare in a large organisation). However besides all of that, samba has been totally broken on OSX since Lion so I disabled it and manually installed the open source samba, which works perfectly.

Sverkel
Jul 30, 2012, 03:10 AM
I just got the new WD TV Live and Mountain Lion, NOT WORKING TOGETHER :mad:

So after some google search I found the program SMBup and that makes it work to some degree. It's not happy when i'm trying to stream 1080p videos over Wi-Fi (30/3) so a cable might connection might be the way for me ;)

Does anyone know a VERY EASY step by step guide to installing the open source Samba?

phobox
Jul 30, 2012, 09:31 AM
I believe smbup is the easiest method atm. Personally however I set samba up myself using MacPorts and create my own configuration file, but I have some fairly specific needs. If you just want to be able to share folders or volumes, smbup is probably the way to go - its essentially an easy to use front end for open source samba.

chandler99
Jul 30, 2012, 06:10 PM
is there anything i can install on windows server 2008 r2 to facilitate searching from ml?

stanton
Jul 30, 2012, 06:24 PM
is there anything i can install on windows server 2008 r2 to facilitate searching from ml?

This is actually a bit complex, basically you want to run afp on the windows server to get the searching features, but usually you still need AD though to get authentication features of the windows domain.

Check out this article: http://www.macworld.com/article/1056791/activedirectory.html