Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Hey folks!

I'm looking to strengthen my resumé (in the publishing business) and so I just signed up for a class to learn Dreamweaver. I'm also taking an XML course and an Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop course and will be getting the Adobe Creative Suite, which includes Go Live...at this point, as I'm going to have Go Live anyway, I kind of hesitate buying Dreamweaver...so...my question is, does it make sense to spend a whole semester learning Dreamweaver on the off chance that it will be useful for a job in the future? Or would my time be better spent teaching myself Go Live? OR, are there enough similarities between the two, such that learning Dreamweaver will help me with Go Live? Sadly, no Go Live courses are available at the community college I'll be attending. ANY thoughts would be much appreciated!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Mr. Monsieur said:
does it make sense to spend a whole semester learning Dreamweaver on the off chance that it will be useful for a job in the future? Or would my time be better spent teaching myself Go Live? OR, are there enough similarities between the two, such that learning Dreamweaver will help me with Go Live? Sadly, no Go Live courses are available at the community college I'll be attending. ANY thoughts would be much appreciated!
In my neck of the woods it's Dreamweaver about 100:1 over GoLive in terms of professional and commercial web design...

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I'd say you'd be better of learning XHTML/CSS/PHP etc. before learning Dreamweaver or GoLive. You want to become competent in the the technologies, not the apps. I think that would impress employers more.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
I have Dreamweaver. Luckily I got the discount for $99. But sometimes, I find it easier to use Notepad and faster due to load times. The one feature I admit to using is the thing that pops up with a list of code. In case I forget something. :cool:

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
"First Sale Doctrine" (?)

I have Dreamweaver. Luckily I got the discount for $99

I was planning on getting the academic version as well and then using it (if need be) for commercial purposes, but according to the macromedia site this is not allowed...then I just came across this:

"Q: Can Academic software be used for commercial purposes?
A: This is a great question, many of the software companies would like you to believe the answer is no and often attempt to scare customers by placing text on the box that says, for example; “for educational use only” or something to that effect, but rest assured it is in fact legal to purchase and use Academic software for non-educational purposes. The truth is that the First Sale Doctrine protects our right, as well as yours to buy and use Academic software.

Software companies have attempted to circumvent the first sale doctrine by creating elaborate licensing agreements, in which they claim that the software can only be used for educational purposes. Several courts however have found that once you purchase software, you have the legal ownership and the software companies cannot restrict how the software is used and therefore have upheld the first sale doctrine"

Does anyone know anything about this?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
munkle said:
I'd say you'd be better of learning XHTML/CSS/PHP etc. before learning Dreamweaver or GoLive. You want to become competent in the the technologies, not the apps. I think that would impress employers more.
What he said. If you understand the technology you can use whatever program the company wants to use. Personally I prefer a text editor to any WYSIWYG program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.