PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh: Intel Inside! Now Improved With Delicious DRM

MacBytes
Aug 2, 2005, 10:17 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Macintosh: Intel Inside! Now Improved With Delicious DRM (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050802111722)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Eidorian
Aug 2, 2005, 10:45 AM
Isn't the DRM for Rosetta though? At least that's what I've read from other articles...

Mr. Anderson
Aug 2, 2005, 10:50 AM
Here it is necessary to note that Apple has copious amounts of experience with successful DRM deployment via the wildly successful iTunes music store so it would be logical to anticipate the same level of transparency of DRM in the operating system.

Although its almost an issue of limiting what you can and can't do - if it is transparent, there won't be any real problems. I just hope all the doom and gloom potential discussed in the article never happens.

D

zelmo
Aug 2, 2005, 10:57 AM
Although its almost an issue of limiting what you can and can't do - if it is transparent, there won't be any real problems. I just hope all the doom and gloom potential discussed in the article never happens.

D

Agreed. If Apple uses a DRM chip to limit what hardware I can install my OS on, I really have little issue with that. If they choose to limit which applications I can use (beyond the obvious restrictions dictated by my choice of OS), that is much more intrusive. I can't see Apple doing that. That sounds more like a M$ thing to do to me.

Stella
Aug 2, 2005, 11:12 AM
Isn't the DRM for Rosetta though? At least that's what I've read from other articles...

All the articles i've read is to stop users from installing the current dev versions of OSX on to regular PCs.

OSX on Mac Intels will only boot up if it finds the DRM.

I can't imagine why apple would implement DRM to control what software people run using Rosetta. Rosetta is used to run PPC software on Intel hardware.

nagromme
Aug 2, 2005, 11:49 AM
A big thanks to all the pirates out there. But if it doesn't affect honest users, I can deal with it.

SiliconAddict
Aug 2, 2005, 12:09 PM
HA!

The aforementioned argumentation will surely cause some people to object that Apple has little choice other than to protect their system with some scheme owing to their dependence on hardware sales. More introspective folks, with a bit of thought, find that notion a bit trite. HP sells computers compelling enough that people actually purchase them, as does Dell. Hence it is reasonable to believe that Apple should be able to produce computers with hardware compelling enough that people will choose them over competing models.

He must have missed the memo that HP is mulling over pulling out of the desktop\laptop biz just like IBM did. Also his logic is flawed. When a user can go out to Dell and pick up a $500 2.8Ghz/512MB RAM/80GB hard drive and install OS X on it they won't bother with Apple hardware. There are A LOT of people out there that simply don't give a crap about Appple hardware. They do care about the software and that is the reason why OS X is going to be locked on Mac only hardware.

rikers_mailbox
Aug 2, 2005, 12:35 PM
...that is the reason why OS X is going to be locked on Mac only hardware.

Or, OS X will only run on "Mac Certified" hardware. Apple could end up allowing 3rd parties (like Sony) to design and build systems that are licensed to run OS X. (Is that what the VAIO engineers are doing over in Cupertino right now?)

Afterall, Apple is a software company. :rolleyes:

Gizmotoy
Aug 2, 2005, 12:38 PM
Afterall, Apple is a software company. :rolleyes:

You don't hear that every day.

Little Endian
Aug 2, 2005, 05:04 PM
Yet more reason to buy another PowerPC machine before the switch to Intel.
DRM is fine if all it will do on the intel mac is prevent OSX from booting on non Apple Hardare, if that's the case then nothing has changed because that's where we are now.

However the implications of using the Intel Infineon Hardware based DRM is unsettling because of how much could be controlled.

outerspaceapple
Aug 2, 2005, 05:07 PM
This article hurt my brain.. it sucks.

iMeowbot
Aug 2, 2005, 05:45 PM
A TPM is little more than a dongle absent a PKI. I wish that there were public CAs in place to certify these things, this would be a really useful tool for validating data.

MacBandit
Aug 2, 2005, 08:55 PM
Yet more reason to buy another PowerPC machine before the switch to Intel.
DRM is fine if all it will do on the intel mac is prevent OSX from booting on non Apple Hardare, if that's the case then nothing has changed because that's where we are now.

However the implications of using the Intel Infineon Hardware based DRM is unsettling because of how much could be controlled.

Or even better wait for the Intel stuff to come out and if you still want the PowerPC hardware buy it then because it will be stupifyingly cheap when everyones dumping their old hardware to buy the new stuff.

shamino
Aug 3, 2005, 11:00 AM
This whole issue is a joke, just as it was a joke when everybody got so paranoid about Microsoft doing the same thing to Windows.

No OS vendor is going to prevent users from buying, developing and installing applications. It's not going to mandate that every document you open be signed, and it's not going to phone the FBI if your mom brings over a CD with some game she purchased last month.

For the ordinary user, the worst that this will do is restrict what kind of hardware you can install the OS onto. Given that Apple has already made that intention clear, it should come as no surprise.

It will allow some high-end apps, that currently ship with encryption dongles (for copy protection) to no longer have to ship hardware dongles with the software.

All the other aspects of OS-level DRM will only come into play in a corporate environment, where IT personnel want to restrict their computers to only run corporate-approved apps. Which is, and always has been, their right.

Every time someone talks about DRM, they immediately jump to this "end of the world" scenario. While it may be technically possible for this to happen, it won't. No company is going to make a move that will cause them to lose their entire user base. Even Microsoft wouldn't be stupid enough to release an OS that makes their entire customer base throw out everything they've ever purchased.

My prediction is that Apple will use this feature for one and only one purpose - to keep Mac OS off of non-Apple hardare. Maybe (and I think this is a long shot) use it in an optional security system that IT departments can use for restricting corporate computers. If we end up seeing anything beyond this, I will be incredibly surprised.

nagromme
Aug 3, 2005, 11:48 AM
A TPM is little more than a dongle absent a PKI. I wish that there were public CAs in place to certify these things,

OK--ASAP. Maybe IBM can help, FWIW.