Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I was running iOS 6 beta 3 on my iPhone 4 and I've been using iCloud to backup the device since it was introduced. I've restored the iPhone to iOS 5.1.1 and I made a new backup to iCloud just before restoring.

In the setup instructions on iOS 5.1.1 I select to restore the phone using iCloud, but sadly the iCloud backup available is just the backups created for my iPad.

Does anyone know how I can get the iCloud backup for my iPhone?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The new 6.0b backup would contain new parameters and details in the backup that the old 5.1.1 version wouldn't be coded to interpret. You can't restore a 6.0b backup over 5.x, it's really only logical and should be no surprise.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
The new 6beta backup would contain new parameters and details in the backup that the old 5.1.1 version wouldn't be coded to interpret. You can't restore an 6beta backup over iOS5, it's really only logical and should be no surprise.

I've previously restored both my iPhone and iPad from iOS 6 beta 1 to iOS 5.1.1, without any iCloud issues. Further I've successfully restored my iPad from iOS 6 beta 3 to iOS 5.1.1. The only issue is restoring my iPhone from iOS 6 beta 3 to iOS 5.1.1.

So you can't say, that it's impossible to restore an iOS 6 iCloud backup on iOS 5.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I've previously restored both my iPhone and iPad from iOS 6 beta 1 to iOS 5.1.1, without any iCloud issues. Further I've successfully restored my iPad from iOS 6 beta 3 to iOS 5.1.1. The only issue is restoring my iPhone from iOS 6 beta 3 to iOS 5.1.1.

So you can't say, that it's impossible to restore an iOS 6 iCloud backup on iOS 5.
Incorrect. 6.0b1 backups could not be restored to 5.1.1. First hand experience. I lost two days worth of messages back then because I had to select an older backup that was 5.x compatible.

Not a big deal.

I just use iPad on 6.0b now, iPhone stays on 5.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Incorrect. 6.0b1 backups could not be restored to 5.1.1. First hand experience. I lost two days worth of messages back then because I had to select an older backup that was 5.x compatible.

Not a big deal.

I just use iPad on 6.0b.

I don't know why you didn't succeeded doing this, but I can tell that I succeeded in restoring my iCloud backup generated on a iOS 6 beta 1 using iOS 5.1.1.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
As I said before.......if you are going to use betas on your devices, turn off iCloud backup on the device before installing. You cannot restore a device on 5.1.1 from iCloud if the last backup there was made on an iOS 6 beta. It just won't let you. Period!
In the case of the ops other device restoring correctly...perhaps a backup of iOS 6 betas 1 & 2 were never made since the 5.1.1 iCloud backup (actually, wasn't there a bug where beta 1 couldn't backup to iCloud? Not sure about beta 2) and only now backed up when on beta 3! Hence, you can't restore this iOS 6 beta backup to the 5.1.1 device.

Hint: Try making an iTunes backup before ever installing betas,
Hint 2: Turn off iCloud backups too.

I am surprised as a developer you didn't think of this before hand, so I have trouble believing you really are one...

Last edited:

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
If you're a developer you should buy a second device for testing purposes so you can keep your everyday device on the current stable release.

If you are not really a developer you should think twice about installing these beta builds. It has always been problematic restoring a backup from a newer iOS version back to an older one... even before iCloud backups.

You might have to stay on iOS 6 beta now unless you have a backup stored from iOS5.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
As I said before.......if you are going to use betas on your devices, turn off iCloud backup on the device before installing. You cannot restore a device on 5.1.1 from iCloud if the last backup there was made on an iOS 6 beta. It just won't let you. Period!
In the case of the ops other device restoring correctly...perhaps a backup of iOS 6 betas 1 & 2 were never made since the 5.1.1 iCloud backup (actually, wasn't there a bug where beta 1 couldn't backup to iCloud? Not sure about beta 2) and only now backed up when on beta 3! Hence, you can't restore this iOS 6 beta backup to the 5.1.1 device.

Hint: Try making a iTunes backup before ever installing betas,
Hint 2: Turn off iCloud backups too.

I am surprised as a developer you didn't think of this before hand, so I have trouble believing you really are one...

I don't know that to say. I'm totally sure that my iOS6b1 and iOS6b3 iCloud backups was restored on my iOS 5.1.1 on my iPad, whereas I only have succeeded to get the iOS6b1 installed on my iPhone. When the restoring process in iOS 5.1.1 starts using a iOS6 backup, it tells that some items couldn't be restored, but all the data used by iOS 5.1.1 seems to be working fine. I was running the iOS6b1 in one week with iCloud backup enabled, before I restored the iOS 5.1.1 before going on vacation. I didn't have any issues at the time and was using iOS 5.1.1 from the iOSb1 iCloud backup in two or three weeks before installing iOSb3. And as I said before, later today my iPad was running iOS6b3 where I create a new iCloud backup before restoring to iOS 5.1.1. When restoring I choose the newest iCloud backup which match the date and time and right now my iPad has finished restoring and all my apps, photo stream, mail account, messages, contacts etc. are exactly as before.

Before I installed the iOS beta I did some research about the iCloud backup, as I thought that could bring me some issues. I was told by other developers in my Twitter-network, that they didn't have any issues restoring a iOS beta iCloud backup in iOS 5 afterwards -- and because of this, I took the chance installing the beta. I did create a local backup using iTunes the first time i installed iOS6b1, but as every thing went well, I didn't see any point in doing this when installing the iOS6b3.

I know that it would be essential to have a device both for production/testing and one for private use, but as I'm only developing apps on a freelance basis as my second job I can not afford buying two devices. If you don't believe I'm a developer, please see this reference:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/musicupdates/id494309086?mt=8

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I don't know that to say. I'm totally sure that my iOS6b1 and iOS6b3 iCloud backups was restored on my iOS 5.1.1 on my iPad, whereas I only have succeeded to get the iOS6b1 installed on my iPhone. When the restoring process in iOS 5.1.1 starts using a iOS6 backup, it tells that some items couldn't be restored, but all the data used by iOS 5.1.1 seems to be working fine. I was running the iOS6b1 in one week with iCloud backup enabled, before I restored the iOS 5.1.1 before going on vacation. I didn't have any issues at the time and was using iOS 5.1.1 from the iOSb1 iCloud backup in two or three weeks before installing iOSb3. And as I said before, later today my iPad was running iOS6b3 where I create a new iCloud backup before restoring to iOS 5.1.1. When restoring I choose the newest iCloud backup which match the date and time and right now my iPad has finished restoring and all my apps, photo stream, mail account, messages, contacts etc. are exactly as before.

Before I installed the iOS beta I did some research about the iCloud backup, as I thought that could bring me some issues. I was told by other developers in my Twitter-network, that they didn't have any issues restoring a iOS beta iCloud backup in iOS 5 afterwards -- and because of this, I took the chance installing the beta. I did create a local backup using iTunes the first time i installed iOS6b1, but as every thing went well, I didn't see any point in doing this when installing the iOS6b3.

I know that it would be essential to have a device both for production/testing and one for private use, but as I'm only developing apps on a freelance basis as my second job I can not afford buying two devices. If you don't believe I'm a developer, please see this reference:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/musicupdates/id494309086?mt=8

I love the App Icon for your App. Sorry for doubting you :eek:

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
I tried going back to 5.1.1 after running iOS6 beta 1 for a few days and had to use my last 5.1.1 backup because the iOS6 backup I made on the computer right before I attempted going back wouldn't work. I tried this again on beta 3 and again no luck using a beta 3 backup for 5.1.1. I also tried using a beta 2 backup with a beta 3 restore and again no luck.

When my brother had to get a used replacement 3GS when his crapped out it wouldn't even find the 5.1.1 backups in iCloud because the device was running and older version of iOS5 so I had to restore as a completely brand new phone, do and update to 5.1.1, completely wipe and reset the phone, and THEN it would find the 5.1.1 backups in iCloud to restore the phone.

So seeing as this is the case I doubt you restored your devices to 5.1.1 with iOS6 beta backups and possibly they were the last 5.1.1 backups you made before going to iOS6 and they might have been so similar to the iOS6 backups that you couldn't notice a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.