PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with your iPad 3 battery and charging time? Here's how to fix it.

Oshima
Jul 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
PROBLEM:

Everyone who has an iPad 3 knows that it takes substantially longer to charge than the iPad 2, and, if you are unfortunate, the device can drain the battery quite fast. Some people have been reporting accelerated battery drain, and some have not.

When I first purchased the iPad 3 and restored it from my backup, the battery was draining very rapidly. When it was plugged in and I was merely using safari at mid brightness, I would still LOSE 1 or 2% per hour on my battery.

Finally, I got fed up with the device and restored it. As soon as I did, my battery started charging more than twice as fast as it was before. While I was happy with the change, I still wanted to know exactly what was drawing so much battery life. Alas, without the problem reoccurring, I would be unable to do any testing.

Yesterday, however, my battery life dropped again dramatically. There was no way that I was going to restore every time this issue arose, so I decided I would do some power draw measurements on different processes to find out exactly what was sucking my battery faster than it could charge.

I ran a draw test on the amount of current that was being used by open processes, and found something that astounded me: even though the app was closed (closed out of the multitasking menu as well), Facetime was STILL drawing between -100mA and -500mA of power, with the -500mA being more frequent of the two. I switched it off, and my battery life returned to normal.

SOLUTION:

Go into your iPad's settings and disable Facetime completely. For some reason, it's drawing a tremendous amount of power even when the app is closed. I don't know why it does this, but hopefully the battery drain for Facetime is a bit less significant with the next patch.

virginblue4
Jul 31, 2012, 05:41 PM
PROBLEM:

When I first purchased the iPad 3 and restored it from my backup, the battery was draining very rapidly. When it was plugged in and I was merely using safari at mid brightness, I would still LOSE 1 or 2% per hour on my battery.

You were only losing 1-2% an hour? Isn't that good??? :confused:

bobby68
Aug 2, 2012, 01:21 PM
You were only losing 1-2% an hour? Isn't that good??? :confused:
Not when it's plugged in... :rolleyes:

virginblue4
Aug 2, 2012, 03:31 PM
Not when it's plugged in... :rolleyes:

Oops missed that haha:rolleyes:

cfs
Aug 9, 2012, 08:33 AM
PROBLEM:

Everyone who has an iPad 3 knows that it takes substantially longer to charge than the iPad 2, and, if you are unfortunate, the device can drain the battery quite fast. Some people have been reporting accelerated battery drain, and some have not.

Finally, I got fed up with the device and restored it. As soon as I did, my battery started charging more than twice as fast as it was before. While I was happy with the change, I still wanted to know exactly what was drawing so much battery life. Alas, without the problem reoccurring, I would be unable to do any testing.

Yesterday, however, my battery life dropped again dramatically. There was no way that I was going to restore every time this issue arose, so I decided I would do some power draw measurements on different processes to find out exactly what was sucking my battery faster than it could charge.

I ran a draw test on the amount of current that was being used by open processes, and found something that astounded me: even though the app was closed (closed out of the multitasking menu as well), Facetime was STILL drawing between -100mA and -500mA of power, with the -500mA being more frequent of the two. I switched it off, and my battery life returned to normal.

SOLUTION:

Go into your iPad's settings and disable Facetime completely. For some reason, it's drawing a tremendous amount of power even when the app is closed. I don't know why it does this, but hopefully the battery drain for Facetime is a bit less significant with the next patch.

My battery hasn't been terrible but at using a brightness halfway I can't say it has been great. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and through the weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

cfs
Aug 11, 2012, 04:26 AM
PROBLEM:

SOLUTION:

Wow. Thanks for this post. This has saved an unbelievable amount of battery for me. I usually am close to drained by the end of the day and charge each night but now it has almost been 48 hours and I still have 12 percent left. I don't just browse the web either. During the past two days I have made wo fie minute movies with iMovie and exported to FB, spent time remote logged into my laptop, surfed the web, used Pages for hours with iCloud on, listened to music, used cellust data. Before your post my battery would be almost gone after dinner but now it's a whole new ball game.

Thanks.

Tomacorno
Aug 22, 2012, 10:12 AM
Interesting. I bought a refurb iPad 3, WiFi. I have not seemed to have any problems with battery life or charge times - which I was concerned about having read so many posts by people with problems. I used it for an hour this morning and have it open at work for the last half hour and I am showing 98%, plus I noticed that it seems to charge fairly quickly - to the point where I don't like leaving it plugged in all night because I will be charging a 100% charged device. So, the point, I wonder if they have improved the batteries since release or found and corrected a problem? OTOH, to the OPs point, I have not activated Facetime yet. So, uh, yeah:rolleyes:

When I get around to trying Facetime I will jump back on here and give a report as to whether I notice a difference in battery life.

andrew26
Aug 7, 2013, 01:08 AM
Hello I turned FaceTime off but my iPad's battery still draining while plugged in :/ especially when I play a game with high graphics like clash of clans :/ this problem started from yesterday I was playing always this game and the battery increase normally when charging plz I need a solution another FaceTime's solution :/ I really need u

cats4jan
Aug 14, 2013, 07:28 AM
I don't know how you figured this out, but I'm glad for the info. Never used Facetime, so turning it off wasn't an issue - just did. Now to see if my battery life improves.

Anything else I can turn off. I've already set my brightness to less than half.

sand_man
Aug 14, 2013, 07:36 AM
I don't know how you figured this out, but I'm glad for the info. Never used Facetime, so turning it off wasn't an issue - just did. Now to see if my battery life improves.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. It's a feature I never use but never considered disabling either. What a win if it results in improved battery life...