Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kim Sux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I have to admit I'm peeved at Apple's decision to change the iPhone connector. Aside from the extra USB cables I've purchased, I'm also not going to be able to use my speaker dock or Magellan car kit. I can accept the loss of the cables and speaker, but man it suck to have my Magellan car kit obsolete. I spent good money for it and use it everyday.

It leaves me with few options. Obviously I can opt to not buy a new iPhone for the first time in 5-years. I can forgo using my car kit but then lose the GPS enhancement, Bluetooth speaker and charging.

The one and only thing that could turn this lose-lose situation into a positive is if Magellan offers a trade-in program for any new GPS kit they create. At least then it wouldn't be a total loss.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
OBD-II Software for ELM327 USB is a free program that allows you to use your PC and a hardware interface to get the information from your car's computer.
The Bluetooth ELM327 has no cable, it works via bluetooth wirelessly.

ELM327 Bluetooth Function:
1.Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).
2.Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)
3.Display current sensor data, including:
4.Engine RPM
5.Calculated Load Value
6.Coolant Temperature
7.Fuel System Status
8.Vehicle Speed
9.Short Term Fuel Trim
10.Long Term Fuel Trim
11.Intake Manifold Pressure
12.Timing Advance
13. Intake Air Temperature
14.Air Flow Rate
15.Absolute Throttle Position
16.Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
17. Fuel System status
18.Fuel Pressure

Any questions please feel free to contact us on http://www.xcar360.com/elm327-bluetooth.html, thank you.

And this has nothing to do with the thread starter question or problem. TS there has already been mini pin to 30 pin converters spotted in the wild. there are way to many accessory's out there to totally drop the 30 pin.

Kim Sux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I understand there are going to be plenty of converters available, even reports Apple is going to include one with the new iPhone. The issue is the the cradle won't expand enough to accommodate a new taller iPhone and the adapter. If anything I'd have to remove the top arm and then use maybe a rubber band to secure the phone into the cradle.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I understand there are going to be plenty of converters available, even reports Apple is going to include one with the new iPhone. The issue is the the cradle won't expand enough to accommodate a new taller iPhone and the adapter. If anything I'd have to remove the top arm and then use maybe a rubber band to secure the phone into the cradle.

I'm in the same boat, and not happy. I love the car kit, and use it daily. I ended up putting it in my wife's car today, and I'm hoping they make one for the iPhone 5. I'll be a buyer. Not a happy buyer, but a buyer.

rckoury

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
Magellan Car Kit- iPhone 5 Soultion

Well.. it isn;t pretty, but it works.
I super glued a plug adapter for the iPhone 5 to the existing iPhone 4 plug. Then, got my wife's hair dryer and sloooowly heated and bent back the top to vertical. This allows the iPhone to sit upright without height restriction. Then... super glued a velcro strip to hold the iPhone on at the very top. This takes a little adjusting so that it sits just above the screen, but not too high so it slips off.
Best news... it connects and works just as before as best I can tell. Definitely charges and the bluetooth speaker set up works. Do not know how to measure how much GPS data is being passed thru (help).
All the best,
Bob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.