Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
Hi guys...

In my work one of the things I do with some regularity is re-image Macs to a standard disk image containing the software that my company needs for it's deployed machines. This is just a simple carbon copy cloner exercise.

Across previous OS's I've noted that booting off of a partition on the external HD would sometimes cause a kernal panic on a newer mac. Reason being - that hard drive partition needed to be updated to reflect drivers needed for that more updated motherboard (new chipsets, etc).

So my question is this: if you're buying Mountain Lion (or Lion for that matter) from the app store and choose a clean install, how does your mac get the drivers needed? Does the OS downloaded from the app store contain all the relevant drivers for all Mac motherboards?

If it didn't, I don't see how a wiped Mac HD could get the drivers it's needs to boot the new OS once it's installed using only the downloaded package from the app store.

Previous releases of OSX (discs) would include an update routine you could do to update drivers on a hard drive partition to make them current, but those drivers were of course machine specific, and those drivers would be on the OSX disc that came with that machine.

Does anyone know the right answer?

I'm trying to prepare for a massive Mountain Lion update for our field machines, and need to develop a strategy for deploy it.

thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.