Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPayton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Long time iPhone owner, first iPad - why does Apple not bundle the very basic "weather" & "stocks" apps on the iPad like they do iPhone??

I know there are plenty of choices in the app store, but those two work fine for my needs. I can't find them as options when I surf the app store.

Any ideas?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
We've all been wondering this ever since the first iPad came out. Only Apple knows the real reason, but my best guess is they didn't have the time / resources to make an iPad version of those apps. I think an iPad stocks app is going to be included in iOS 6 -- I know another "missing" app, Clock, is definitely in iOS 6.

Liquidizer

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Long time iPhone owner, first iPad - why does Apple not bundle the very basic "weather" & "stocks" apps on the iPad like they do iPhone??

I know there are plenty of choices in the app store, but those two work fine for my needs. I can't find them as options when I surf the app store.

Any ideas?

I know, it's so annoying! This was one of the main reasons as to why I was holding off on buying an iPad (although mainly because of the missing 'clock' and 'calculator' apps, not the 'stocks' and 'weather'). Goodness knows why Apple never included these, especially the calculator - I just can't see how it would be difficult to put a calculator on the iPad?

I know the clock app is included with iOS 6, and for those with the new iPad you can get stocks and weather through Siri... does anyone know if Siri can do calculations?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I know, it's so annoying! This was one of the main reasons as to why I was holding off on buying an iPad (although mainly because of the missing 'clock' and 'calculator' apps, not the 'stocks' and 'weather'). Goodness knows why Apple never included these, especially the calculator - I just can't see how it would be difficult to put a calculator on the iPad?

I know the clock app is included with iOS 6, and for those with the new iPad you can get stocks and weather through Siri... does anyone know if Siri can do calculations?

Yes, Siri does calculations. Also, there are a number of free calculator apps you can get from the app store. With clock coming in iOS 6, I see no reason why you should wait to get the iPad, if the lack of clock and calculator is really the only thing stopping you from getting it.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010

Are you for real? :mad:

Liquidizer

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Yes, Siri does calculations. Also, there are a number of free calculator apps you can get from the app store. With clock coming in iOS 6, I see no reason why you should wait to get the iPad, if the lack of clock and calculator is really the only thing stopping you from getting it.

Sorry, heh, should have made myself a little clearer, the lack of those apps was definitely not the only reason I held off on buying an iPad - and in fact, I have now purchased an iPad and am very happy with it, I just found it a major annoyance as I intended on selling my iPhone to raise money for the iPad but didn't want to lose those apps.

And thank you for answering my question, I'm definitely looking forward to iOS 6 now, it should make up for all the missing apps.

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
I don't mind not having the stock app, since I find bloomberg just as good and even better, but not having a weather app is very annoying. There isn't any reason why they could not have made an app.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
iPad is supposed to be your 2nd device. Since you have an IPhone already (I have an iPod Touch). There is no need for another weather app, is there?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
iPad is supposed to be your 2nd device. Since you have an IPhone already (I have an iPod Touch). There is no need for another weather app, is there?

Absolutely there is a need. I don't always have my phone and iPad next to me. How hard would it have been to include both? Stocks, that seems odd that one wouldn't want to take advantage of the larger screen.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I'd like the weather and calculator back myself

As I've mentioned elsewhere the free and/or paid apps for these are not the same thing and I don't want to give away my private information just to get more features.

I could do without the stocks, game center and messenger. I really wish Apple would allow you to add and remove their core apps as easily as 3rd party.

But yeah, Weather and Calculator I wish those were a part of the core iOS apps again.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
As I've mentioned elsewhere the free and/or paid apps for these are not the same thing and I don't want to give away my private information just to get more features.

What do you mean, give away private info? As far as I know, there's no need to give any info to download free apps. For paid apps, yes, you need to give your credit card info to Apple, but other than that, again, I don't know what info you are thinking you need to give out.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
John Gruber posted a while back that Apple had made: Clocks, Stocks, Weather & Calculator apps for iPad but Jobs killed them because he didn't like the UI. That seems to be the main problem, finding a UI that looks good. Can you imagine blowing the iPhone's calculator app up to fit the iPad screen? That'd be a disaster.

Source: http://daringfireball.net/2010/03/iphone_apps_on_the_ipad

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
The thing about the stocks, weather, and calculator is that they would have to be dramatically redesigned for the iPad. Sure Apple could just make larger iterations of the iPhone versions, but that would look like crap. Probably Apple doesn't see the benefit in designing apps that people tend to not care to much about having anyway (generally).

Apple probably decided that it's kind of ridiculous not to have a clock app, but you can see that it have been changed a lot to fit the iPad. Maybe they'll bring more apps in the future. I couldn't imagine how they would do a calculator app, just a giant calculator on the screen would look ridiculous.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011

Why do people think everyone who has an a iPad also has an iPhone?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
several paid weather apps

What do you mean, give away private info? As far as I know, there's no need to give any info to download free apps. For paid apps, yes, you need to give your credit card info to Apple, but other than that, again, I don't know what info you are thinking you need to give out.

Want you to register and give out more information to unlock several features. No thank you. I pay for an app once, I should get basic features without registering. I am tired of giving out any information I should not have to and that includes email addresses, etc.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Want you to register and give out more information to unlock several features. No thank you. I pay for an app once, I should get basic features without registering. I am tired of giving out any information I should not have to and that includes email addresses, etc.

Well, keep looking. I'm using Weather HD, which doesn't require any registration. I'm sure there are more like that around. Also, if you are just looking to replace the functionality of the iPhone's built-in weather app, then I'd think even those apps that require registration for additional features would provide the same basic functionality without registration, don't they?

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

Don't even need to give a credit card. Just buy an iTunes card. Available just about everywhere.

Personally, I'm glad there's no built-in stock app. Prefer to choose my own financial apps and am very happy with Intellicast HD for weather.

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
iOS 6.

23vzxuo.jpg

Although I'm not sure if you'll get the weather widget in the Notification Center, weather elements do appear in the clock app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.