Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montypython

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Straight up... I am brand new to video editing, but have a passion for what I can create if given the opportunity. I am willing to invest in a small setup/upgrade (to a iMac 20' 2.0ghz and Final Cut Studio from an HP laptop) if there is any one that could take me under their wing (company or individual) and show me the ropes. In return I am willing to do all the medial tasks that we all hate (capturing, cutting and all that) for a little guidance and insight into what is involved in a production. This is truly a hobby of mine, but I would be willing to invest significant time and have the dreams of starting a company of my own that would offer a "You film it we produce it" service. So if you are tired of capturing hours of clips and would be willing to give some guidance OR you are someone just like me and are interested in learning alongside a partner in crime then please PM or e-mail me.

I know that this is an "out there" request, but I know there must be at least one other person like me out there reading these blogs, and hey maybe this will lead to a great small business a few years down the road.

Please e-mail me at quarlesr@hartwick.edu if you are interested and can help me out.

Many thanks,

Ryan

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Contact all the post and production places in your area and tell them what you wrote in your post. People are almost always lookin' for free labor... I mean "interns." ;)

Lethal

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
You didn't mention where you are located. If you are near a large city check out your local craigslist at http://www.craigslist.org

Check in the Jobs category under tv/film/video and the Gigs category under Creative. You can find plenty of internships there.

Also check out computer-based training for Final Cut. One source is http://www.dvcreators.com

Another option is to just start on projects. You can ask family and friends if they have any old videos that they'd like converted to DVD. Maybe they have their wedding video that was shot by a drunk uncle or a bunch of tapes of kids' birthdays. Check with local K-12 schools to see if they create DVDs for graduation or sports. The middle school in my town even does a DVD for 6th grade graduation.

Good luck.

montypython

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Thanks guys. I am from MA but go to school in upstate NY. I was actually surprised to find yellow pages for some video production companies where i go to school, but they all seem to have gone out of business.

Thanks for your help. Maybe someone will yet answer my call.

Ryan

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
This is kinda how i started doing editing only it was on Media 100 and Avid.
Just make a up a resume and a demo reel to get your name around. But truthfully, those wont get you the job. In reality your personal connections will win you a job. After that its about 150 a day for assistant editing (logging tapes and digitizing) and 250 or 300 a day for editing. Also I would learn after effects as fast as possible to increase your skill set and any other program that can make you a one stop shop.

Connections baby, its all about connections.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
Very cool but the way I see is if this is just a hobby like you said and your not trying to start a career why spend all that free time doing it. Im currently interning at 2 post production houses but I want to pursue a career as an editor/compositor.

Im not trying to be an acehole but I love how everyone wants to start their own company. Its kinda funny because people dont realize how many fail, you only here about the ones that do well which is such a small percentage. Plus not to mention having a pention/health care/hmo and all that stuff for working with a major company.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
obeygiant said:
This is kinda how i started doing editing only it was on Media 100 and Avid.
Just make a up a resume and a demo reel to get your name around. But truthfully, those wont get you the job. In reality your personal connections will win you a job....Connections baby, its all about connections.
I think "obeygiant" hit the nail with his head and gives good advice. The "GenX and Y'ers" move and thrive on relationship and team building. I have a mentor who is 25 years younger than I. Relationship building among video/audio people will be your best bet and help you avoid the "blackhole" of futility that's rampant with the amateurization of video production.
X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.