Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tucker61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
I know this is a iPad forum, so comments might be biased. However. I have had a iPod touch for 3 years, which now has a smashed screen. Just bought a android phone. And was looking at upgrading my iPod to a nexus 7. (cost approx £170)

Cant decide on if to wait longer and order the mini iPad.

Will it have 2 cameras. Will it be dearer than nexus? will processing power and graphics be better ? What other benefits will I get ?

Thanks in advance.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The good thing of staying within Apple Eco system is you can reuse already bought apps and content easy on the new iPad mini. If you have such.

If you willing to scrap those and you have already an android a nexus is also feasible.

We don't have any details about cameras, CPU, speed etc. only rumors. I would expect same performance as iPad2.

I would wait for the mini; maybe mid of September we know more on specs.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
still trying to fix my flux capacitor, ill let ya know though what this ipad mini has in store for us when i do.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The good thing of staying within Apple Eco system is you can reuse already bought apps and content easy on the new iPad mini.

It's the same with Android. In fact all of my Apps from my Kindle Fire are easily transported to my other Android tablet. Also all of my Galaxy Tab apps are available for the Nexus 7. ;)

To answer the OP's question go with the Nexus 7 because it's real and the iPad Mini is just rumor and speculation. If bought were available then it's a preference sort of thing.

Dun Properly

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
It's the same with Android. In fact all of my Apps from my Kindle Fire are easily transported to my other Android tablet. Also all of my Galaxy Tab apps are available for the Nexus 7. ;)

To answer the OP's question go with the Nexus 7 because it's real and the iPad Mini is just rumor and speculation. If bought were available then it's a preference sort of thing.

I returned my Nexus 7 and bought an Ipad because the Android Market is terrible compared to the App Store. I liked the 7" screen, but there is absolutely no comparison between the apps tailored specifically for tablets. The Android market is severely lacking in that department.

Owning the Nexus 7 was like owning a Porsche 911, but I wasn't allowed to leave the neighborhood.

tucker61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hope the Mini Ipad has a flux Capacitor. That will make things a lot easier.

I have 226 apps for the ipod, of which 67 are compatible with the current Ipad. I have approx 12 apps for my android phone.

I do think that the IOS apps are better develope than the android apps, But i do like the way that android has widgetts on the home screen.

I also use rarely use facetime, and Imessage.

Currently i think i will cancel my Nexus order, and wait a few more weeks to see what is announced.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I returned my Nexus 7 and bought an Ipad because the Android Market is terrible compared to the App Store. I liked the 7" screen, but there is absolutely no comparison between the apps tailored specifically for tablets. The Android market is severely lacking in that department.

Owning the Nexus 7 was like owning a Porsche 911, but I wasn't allowed to leave the neighborhood.

Profoundly accurate.

Every attempt I have made to enter the Android ecosystem comes to an abrupt halt due to this. It's not an exaggeration at all to say that the Android market, at least as far as tablet optimized apps go, is woefully lacking.

To make matters worse there isn't even a way to easily identify those tablet specific apps that do exist. All apps are thrown together in one confusing mess of a "Play Store", so much so that third party apps exist with the sole purpose being to identify tablet apps. What were they thinking? And while I'm at it, whose idea was it to rename the "Android Market" (good name) to the ridiculous "Play Store"?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

LOL. Great analogy

Hope the Mini Ipad has a flux Capacitor. That will make things a lot easier.

I have 226 apps for the ipod, of which 67 are compatible with the current Ipad. I have approx 12 apps for my android phone.

I do think that the IOS apps are better develope than the android apps, But i do like the way that android has widgetts on the home screen.

I also use rarely use facetime, and Imessage.

Currently i think i will cancel my Nexus order, and wait a few more weeks to see what is announced.

Waiting to mid-September is ideal. As much as I like the price of the Nexus 7 I know that Android on tablets is just not up to the level of the iPad and an iPad mini would suit me perfectly.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Good idea, at least that way you know what's out there instead of potentially having a Nexus 7 and some buyer's remorse.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
I just picked up a Nexus 7 about a week and a half ago and sold my iPad 2 last night. Only reason I sold the iPad was because I'm majorly banking on the iPad Mini to actually be real. I got the Nexus, basically free, for trading in a bunch of old iPods not being used to Gamestop. So since i'll be messing with that for a while, I figured I'd cash out as much as I could on the iPad 2 now, before the Mini gets announced, lowering the value of the iPad 2 (bought refurbed for $349, sold for $300, so i spent $49 to rent an iPad 2 for 4 months). If the Mini doesn't come out, i'll be ok with the Nexus 7.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
Been playing with the Nexus 7 for about 2 days now, cause I wanted to try Android again (and a 7" tablet). But, I prefer iOS still.
  • Because of lack of apps. On top of that, lack of well optimized tablet apps.
  • You need a third party app just to take pictures using the front-facing camera.
  • As said above, the "Play Store" (Market sounded so much better) lacks categorization. i downloaded apps that were not meant for tablets and they look so awkward.
  • IMO: Apps feel much faster in iOS than Android. Though they can be at par on some apps!

I might be wrong here, so correct me if I am:
  • Notifications is very different than iOS. Your screen does not turn on when you get new notifications, it just beeps. So you have to go to the notification center and then check why your tablet's going beep...beep...beep.
    I like that on iOS devices it turns on and lets me view it right from the lock screen. Also I have to remove notifications manually. [Please tell me if I'm wrong]
  • You need a third-party app for other e-mail accounts.
  • Changing wallpaper is a tad awkward. You don't have much freedom when applying a wallpaper. I like changing my wallpaper a lot.

I think the Nexus 7 is a great device for it's price, and still one of the best Androids out there. A very nice screen. Fast.

But I'm much happier with iOS. I prefer the bigger screen to the smaller one, since I do a lot of reading on it. It's faster (IMO). I also like the iPad camera connection kit to go with my DSLR. Which is one of the main reasons for buying an iPad, among others. I don't think they have that for Androids.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I bought the $249 dollar 16 gig Nexus 7 today. I got it from someone off Craigslist, basically brand new for $150 (£95). So far I'm really liking the device and I've owned all 3 iPad versions.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I know this is a iPad forum, so comments might be biased. However. I have had a iPod touch for 3 years, which now has a smashed screen. Just bought a android phone. And was looking at upgrading my iPod to a nexus 7. (cost approx £170)

Will it have 2 cameras. Will it be dearer than nexus? will processing power and graphics be better ? What other benefits will I get ?

Thanks in advance.
It'll likely have the A5. So more powerful graphics, less powerful processor. It'll probably have fantastic battery life too. Cameras... not sure about that. The Tablet app market is much, much better for iOS too.

I'd wait for the 8 inch iPad. I've had a go with the Nexus 7 and though I thought I'd like it, I didn't. The hardware and design is fine, but I really don't like Android 4.1.

Try both if you can, pick whichever one has the OS you prefer, that's what I say.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
LOL, so Apple hasn't said a single word on a 7" iPad or iPad Mini and now we'll see an 8" iPad.

I think i'll wait for the 9.7" iPad, oh wait ! :p
There's multiple tech sites saying that we'll see one, and it the rumours have always been for a 7.85 inch iPad, which is closer to 8 inches than 7, in fact it has a 40% larger display area than a 7 inch device.

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah

Thanks in advance.

Can somebody put this into the Wasteland? Really? You expect us to speculate product that doesnt even on the market today. Ring a bell, hellooo, we are not 1 Infinite Loop here.

:confused:

tucker61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Can somebody put this into the Wasteland? Really? You expect us to speculate product that doesnt even on the market today. Ring a bell, hellooo, we are not 1 Infinite Loop here.

:confused:

As said up above. This site is for roumors.

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
I recently sold my iPad 3 and got a 16GB Nexus 7. I've got no regrets so far.

I'm really liking the form factor on the Nexus. It's much easier to hold. The screen is bright and clear and everything is as responsive as you'd want.

As for apps on the Google Play store, there are plenty of high quality ones in all categories that I can think I'd require.

There are a couple that aren't there that I would have wanted such as GTA Chinatown Wars and Peggle for example. And I'm having to use workarounds to get tv catchup, bbc iplayer & 4OD to work as adobe are dropping flash support. I'm sure these services and apps will be updated to work with Jelly bean at some point though.

So far though, I'm impressed, and don't miss the iPad 3 one bit.

If Apple do release an iPad Mini, you can bet that the price will be higher than it really ought to be too.

Last edited:

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Neither. Get a full sized Ipad. I had the nexus 7 and although it was a flawless perfectly working device, the darn thing was too small to view web pages properly without constant panning and zooming. I have a Galaxy Note, so the Nexus was really no better for me than the phone. Back to using my iPad, where i can just see more of the web page I am viewing.

----------

I recently sold my iPad 3 and got a 16GB Nexus 7. I've got no regrets so far.

I'm really liking the form factor on the Nexus. It's much easier to hold. The screen is bright and clear and everything is as responsive as you'd want.

As for apps on the Google Play store, there are plenty of high quality ones in all categories that I can think I'd require.

There are a couple that aren't there that I would have wanted such as GTA Chinatown Wars and Peggle for example. And I'm having to use workarounds to get tv catchup, bbc iplayer & 4OD to work as adobe are dropping flash support. I'm sure these services and apps will be updated to work with Jelly bean at some point though.

So far though, I'm impressed, and don't miss the iPad 3 one bit.

If Apple do release an iPad Mini, you can bet that the price will be higher than it really ought to be too.

That is surprising to me. I found that I did miss the larger screen on my iPad, and just recently returned the Nexus 7. It was a sweet device though. Guess I just had 1 too many gadgets layiig around and got rid of the weakest link, which was the Nexus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.