Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splatterific

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Recently got my iMac 27 with a 2.7 i5 and purchased aperture. I would really like to get more into photo editing for personal enjoyment. I figured aperture would probably work best for me and what I'm looking to accomplish. Was wondering what would best suit me. I have a track pad and mouse but, I hear that one of those bamboo capture tablets are the only way to go. Does anyone have input of the necessity of one of those? Is it necessary and would it really be facilitated for me being I'm not really using ps?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I would suggest to learn Aperture to post processing your raw images and manage the photo libraries. Remember you can always use a raw image to create a jpg...but never the other way around.

Expand Aperture with plugins such as Nik Suite (HDR, Define, Silver Efex, Color Efex,...etc.). The Nik Suite for Aperture and Lightroom is less expensive than the one for full Photoshop. If you need to have pixel level editor, Photoshop Elements 10 is hard to beat (less than $100).

Personally I do not use a tablet. My wife purchase a bamboo tablet but ends up using her mouse more often. So I suggest focusing on the software and over time you can decide if adding on a tablet is right for you.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
A mouse is fine for working with Aperture... You can do some fairly sophisticated brush work with a mouse. However most of your adjustments will be manipulating sliders.

If you have some extra money burning a hole in your pocket though, I echo the recommendation above for the NIK suite of plugins. My only wishes are (1) that I had discovered them long ago and (2) Apple buys them and integrates them into Aperture. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.