Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swannyfowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I upgraded to Moutain Lion last week and also had to re-install Windows 7 as the OS did not recognize the partition as NTFS.

I found the trick was to re-install Windows 7 using Boot Camp - reformatting the partition to NTFS part-way - and then restore the Windows 7 image using the back-up disk.

This did then allow MLion to read the NTFS partition, but it now appears on the desktop as 'Untitled'. I've changed the name in Windows using the 'C' properties and rename options, using a number of 'colourful' drive-name variations which at the time reflected my increasing frustration (all limited to 8 characters might I add). However, none of these changed the way ML shows the 'Untitled' partition.

Is there a bug or is there something else I need to do?

Many thanks!

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
Did you first erase the Windows partition in Bootcamp assistant, then recreated the partition and after that restored the Windows installation from your backup?

I once had a similar problem when I tried expanding/shrinking on of my ntfs partitions in Windows. In the end that partition ended up showing as an Untitled partition in OSX since the resizing operation managed to erase one of my GPT protective partitions (or changed some other too information). In the end I ended up just reinstalling my Windows from scratch since it most likely took much less time than trying to troubleshoot my issue.

Anyway, I don't think that Windows 7's own backup program restores those extra partitions (at least not correctly), so the complete reinstallation might be the only solution for you too :(

swannyfowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Thanks for the response, Sincci.

As it happens, I did this following a complete re-install of ML, and I then set up Boot Camp, installing Win 7 and then, following installation, installing the system image from Windows recovery. As a consequence, it deleted the ML recovery disk (which I had already saved to USB). I had the same problem with Lion and could only get around it by installing Snow Leopard, then Boot Camp and then Lion. That way, OS X was on disk0 s2, Windows disk0 s3 and recovery on disk0 s4. I could try the Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion route, but it's a lot of effort to fix such a minor issue!

There must clearly be some issue between the OSs in terms of the partition tables required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.