Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As of June 30, Apple officially discontinued MobileMe, the company's previous suite of online services that has been replaced by iCloud. But while the MobileMe services went offline as of that date, the company has continued to allow MobileMe users to migrate their accounts to iCloud and to download Gallery photos and iDisk files "for a limited time".

mobileme_closed_sign.jpg

It now appears that the "limited time" is rapidly running out, and users who have yet to save their MobileMe data and/or convert their accounts to iCloud need to move quickly to ensure that they do not lose their data and registered user names. As noted by Ben Guild, Apple support staff indicated to him that as of the end of the day today Apple will begin shutting down those accounts that have not been migrated, beginning the process of opening those user names up to new users registering for iCloud.

We contacted Apple support staff to confirm the timing on the transition and were told a slightly different story, with the representative informing us that Apple would begin taking the old MobileMe servers offline as of the end of the day tomorrow. Some users' data could continue to be available after that time as Apple works through the process of purging all of the old MobileMe data, but users wishing to save their data and claim iCloud accounts with their MobileMe user names do need to move very quickly in order to ensure continuity.

Users who have already converted their MobileMe accounts to iCloud will be able to continue using the me.com versions of their email addresses, although the company is rolling out icloud.com equivalents to give users the option of changing domains.

Apple's final discontinuation of MobileMe services comes as the company is also shutting down its beta iWork.com service at the end of the day today. Apple has sent out several reminders warning iWork.com users that they must save any uploaded documents before the service is discontinued, and the support representative we spoke with today indicated that users should not rely upon a grace period for retrieving those documents after today.

Article Link: Apple Ready to Finish Shutting Down MobileMe Over Next Few Days

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
They're actually going to sunset old unused user names finally? Someone beat me to my preferred name on iTools when it first came out, then abandoned it - but I could never claim it during the iTools, .Mac, or MobileMe eras. Maybe I'll finally be able to get it!

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I know I don't need iDisk anymore because Apple has told me so. I've asked them if I'm still allowed to miss it but they haven't replied yet.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
MobileMe now joins the G4 Cube, the Puck Mouse, and the Newton in the depths of the Apple Underworld. Bye, bye! We won't miss you.

Next up on the list: Ping!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Pretty lame if you ask me. Seems Apple should have a more elegant solution than this.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
I miss you MobileMe! You are way better then iCloud... Bye.. iDisk... Bye.. Galleries... bye... iWeb.....:(

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
I have a @me.com email which I set up on my iPhone. I already migrated to iCloud and can now access my @me.com email though that. At what point can I switch to the icloud.com domain if I want?

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, or if it has been answered somewhere and I've managed to miss it, but is it possible to change an @me.com email address to an @icloud.com one? I guess it's not a huge deal, I've just never liked the egocentric ring of "me.com"

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, or if it has been answered somewhere and I've managed to miss it, but is it possible to change an @me.com email address to an @icloud.com one? I guess it's not a huge deal, I've just never liked the egocentric ring of "me.com"

So... I'm supposed to contact everyone and change my email from @me.com to @mac.com or @icloud.com? :confused:

All MobileMe email accounts are automatically translated to @icloud mail.

People can send email to the @me or @mac email addy and @icloud addy will get it and visa versa.

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
All MobileMe email accounts are automatically translated to @icloud mail.

People can send email to the @me or @mac email addy and @icloud addy will get it and visa versa.

So I just tested that, sent myself an email to my username@icloud.com and it bounced back as not a valid email address. I have the same problem with myusername@mac.com that is no longer working.

Can anyone help? I'd like to start using myusername@icloud.com rather than @me.com ... thank you!

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.