Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
I have a Mac-formatted iPod, which I often charge with a USB cable on my Windows XP machine at work. When I do this, it displays "Do not disconnect" and I cannot actually use the iPod, until I eject it through XP. Is there a way to get around this other than reformatting for Windows?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
They'd probably go insane at work if you added Dataviz's MacOpener to the XP machine.

Don't know how well it works with the iPod though. :confused:

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
what are you trying to do, transfer music to your Mac formatted iPod from Windows, or just charge your iPod from windows and listen to music on it?

If you want to transfer music then a program called XPlay which can transfer music to your Mac formatted iPod. If you just want to charge your iPod then you can just disconnect it. Your iPod should keep charging.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I think he is saying that (sorry if I am putting words in someone else's mouth): It would be nice to be able to access the iPod on the XP machine; either data or music playback. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

For me, this brings up a larger question: Is there any advantage to using an iPod formatted for Mac? PC formatting seems more universal. For those that are curious, my iPod is Mac formatted. Is the Mac format more efficient or something?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sedulous said:
Is there any advantage to using an iPod formatted for Mac?

1. When software updates come through, you don't need a PC to install them.

2. Apparently the Mac-formatting is better for portable hard drives - meaning it is less likely to corrupt through more "mobile" usage. :)

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
My iPod is windows formatted even though I use it mostly on my Mac, Thats because if I need to transfer files to a friends computer they all have Windoze machines, so its more compatible this way, I don't see the big deal! It will work fine on the Mac, just don't update the software with your Mac.

drb6

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2005
Boston, MA
mad jew said:
1. When software updates come through, you don't need a PC to install them.

2. Apparently the Mac-formatting is better for portable hard drives - meaning it is less likely to corrupt through more "mobile" usage. :)

I didn't know about this and I formatted my ipod for windows so it would work with both. I'm gonna be over in school so i may not be able to access my home pc for updates when they come out. And I definately don't want my ipod to corrupt but I'm the only mac user I know so maybe I should keep it windows formatted?

I'm just unsure now. :confused: What do you guys think, should I format for mac? Can I format for mac after i've done it for windows?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
drb6, do you keep all of your music with you? If so, then it shouldn't really matter which format you use. The differences in reliability are negligible and the updates thing isn't generally a problem. If you're going to be using it to transfer files to and from PCs, keep it formatted for PC. There's really no huge benefit in having a Mac-formatted iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.