PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone received a 10.7.4 patch from Apple?

carrida
Jul 31, 2012, 06:21 PM
I run VMWare 4.1.3. I created an OSX 10.7.4 VM on my 13" Aluminum Macbook. When I got my new Macbook Pro Retina running 10.7.4, I moved the VM over and it got an error that the Guest shut down the CPU. In discussion with VMWare support, they said that it was due to the different 10.7.4 builds between the older, general population USB 2 Macs and the special build of 10.7.4 on the new USB 3 Macs recently released. He said that it was an issue with the USB 2 build not having knowledge of ivy bridge.

He said there was nothing he could do, but that some customers have received special patches of 10.7.4 from Apple that users can install into their 10.7.4 VMs when they are running on their USB 2 Macs, and that patch will effectively bring the VM OS up the same build number as the new USB 3 macs, giving the VM knowledge of Ivy Bridge. (waiting for 10.7.5 will also solve the issue)

However, when I opened a ticket with Apple support, two levels said that they do not provide such patches and that I had to either wait for 10.7.5 or get some patch from VMWare.

If anyone on this forum has received a patch like that from Apple, could you provide details that I can take back to their support group to get a patch for myself? Thanks,

- D

Mr. Retrofire
Jul 31, 2012, 08:26 PM
A patch within the VM guest OS does not solve the problem, that VMware Fusion <= v4.1.3 does NOT support USB 3.0 devices:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2063678

VMware Fusion 4 does not support passing USB 3 devices to guest operating systems. In addition, quite a few popular guest operating systems including Windows 7 do not include out-of-the-box support for super-speed devices.

For USB 3 mass storage devices you should still be able to connect it to your Mac and access it via the network or a shared folder.

Simon