Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
My Macbook (April 2008) does not support Mountain Lion. I am running 10.6.8. Few problems. Some software updates are now beginning to require Lion. I am not buying a new Macbook anytime soon. Is Lion now stable enough for me to install, is it still available, and should I go to Lion?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
My Macbook (April 2008) does not support Mountain Lion. I am running 10.6.8. Few problems. Some software updates are now beginning to require Lion. I am not buying a new Macbook anytime soon. Is Lion now stable enough for me to install, is it still available, and should I go to Lion?

You can purchase the usb stick from apple - I think that is the only legal way unless you have previously purchased/downloaded. I may be incorrect about this :)

UPDATE: Cannot find the USB Stick on Apple.com anymore

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Be aware that Lion does not support Rosetta, so that any PowerPC software you are running will fail to run in Lion. There are workarounds, but none is as easy and transparent as running your PowerPC software in Snow Leopard.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm running one machine with Lion and the other still on SL. Really the only reason I moved to Lion was to get one piece of software that was only available for Lion. Really, other than that, I have seen no compelling reason to move to Lion. Really the machine I updated to Lion, felt like it ran more smoothly when it was running SL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.