Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pecans

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Hey there guys!
I was thinking of buying the base 2011 Mac Mini. But I have some questions.

Gaming on Bootcamp

Will the Mac Mini be able to play these games with playable fps? I don't care if I have to have the settings cranked down as long as I can get playable fps.

-Left 4 Dead 2
-Borderlands
-Battlefield 3

I know the mid tier mini is better for gaming but I have a fairly small budget.

Also, When do you think the Mini will be updated? The Sept 12 event, October or later possibly?

Finally, How much faster is the Radeon 6630m compared to the Integrated graphics.

Last question, Is an SSD worth the cost? I would use it as a boot drive and to store some of my apps on it. Also, then I could use a the old internal as an external if i got an enclosure.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Will the Mac Mini be able to play these games with playable fps? I don't care if I have to have the settings cranked down as long as I can get playable fps.

-Left 4 Dead 2
-Borderlands
-Battlefield 3

Yes, as long as the settings are reduced.

Also, When do you think the Mini will be updated? The Sept 12 event, October or later possibly?

Check the Buyer's Guide for an estimate.

Last question, Is an SSD worth the cost? I would use it as a boot drive and to store some of my apps on it. Also, then I could use a the old internal as an external if i got an enclosure.

Probably not in your case.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
When do you think the Mini will be updated? The Sept 12 event, October or later possibly? .

Nobody knows. It would appear that Apple don't update the mini as frequently as other products primarily (in my mind) because it's a low margin line. That been said, with no screen lamination reasons to contend with there really is no reason for not updating the machine. But, Apple is Apple they do what they do! If they are to update the mini, I expect them to do it when they update the iMac (again no reason why but they probably don't want to have too many events) and the clever money on that seems to be late Sept / early Oct.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15380007#post15380007

Finally, How much faster is the Radeon 6630m compared to the Integrated graphics.

On the 2011 mini, the difference is HUGE particularly if you want to game

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.