PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 on the 2012 Air

Brian Mage
Aug 1, 2012, 06:16 AM
Will this run?

I'm running an i7 8gb 13" 2012. So far the only games i've tried are Limbo & Mini RC Racers (both of which spin my fans up to 6500 & 95+temp) and run total smooth.

I'm kinda assuming it will be no issue to run this game, but because my fans spin on relatively simple games, thought it best to check and see first before i pay out for it.

All the reviews on the app store refer to Mac Pro's.

aleni
Aug 3, 2012, 05:40 AM
Should be running smooth, especially doom 3's gameplay is 100% indoor unlike call of duty series.

Fyi, i just finished cod: blackops on my 2012 ultimate 11" air, and right now im playing cod: modern warfare 2.

It's very playable on low graphics mode, but for textures, i set it to high because i have 8gb of ram.

bubbleboyjones
Aug 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
i7 with 8gb? Geez I would be bummed if you couldn't set the settings for the Air at Max without a problem

I'm not a graphics card expert but isn't the HD4000 equivalent to high end desktop cards from 2007? The top of the line cards that were running Doom 3 back then were the GeForce 6800 series and were high end for 2004.

bubbleboyjones
Aug 23, 2012, 09:37 PM
Just tried doom 3 on my i7 8gb 256 HD Air

With everything on max im getting avg of 20 fps. If I take of the Antialiasing and vertical synch I get 60 fps. I haven't played with it much to see how much Antialiasing i can get away with.

Calot
Aug 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
Just tried doom 3 on my i7 8gb 256 HD Air

With everything on max im getting avg of 20 fps. If I take of the Antialiasing and vertical synch I get 60 fps. I haven't played with it much to see how much Antialiasing i can get away with.

And everything max, vertical sync on but anti aliasing off, what do you get?

I have the exact same Air, and was considering getting Doom. But for 20 FPS, no thanks!

Macman45
Aug 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
I have a 13" 2011 ultimate, but I've never considered it as a gaming machine. I have Doom3 on my iMac and my MBP...Max settings, no problems. I'd be interested to see how the OP goes with the newer Air.

bubbleboyjones
Aug 24, 2012, 10:03 AM

Ill try that tonight or tomorrow.

I have the exact same Air, and was considering getting Doom. But for 20 FPS, no thanks

I have a feeling if I mess with the Antialiasing a bit i will get good FPS. I had it on 16x. Iill also experiment with this is like on an external display, maybe even my 50" plasma! :eek:

bubbleboyjones
Aug 26, 2012, 10:09 PM

Ok with everything max(Ultra Quality), vertical sync on and anti aliasing off I get 60 frames. With anti aliasing at 2x I get an average of 30 fps(sometimes drops to 20 and sometimes gets up to 60)

Overall a maxed out 2012 Air handles Doom fine. Nobody could even play Doom 3 in Ultra Quality when it came out(The video cards werent even on the market that could handle it). So its silly to think it doesn't play well, granted it can't crank up everything.....for all intents and purposes it plays fine.