PDA

View Full Version : The end of movie rentals?

Mr. Anderson
Nov 11, 2002, 11:24 AM
I don't think so.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/11/11/video.ondemand.ap/index.html

A recent service has now been added to my favorite local video/dvd rental store the Video Vault (http://www.videovault.com) in Old Town that they deliver movies for free! You can call up with your request, they mark it down in your account and deliver you the movie in an hour or so (just the 22314 zip code area) and you pay for it when you return it. I haven't used it yet, but I will real soon.

D

BenderBot1138
Nov 11, 2002, 11:44 AM
Very interesting...

Kid Red
Nov 11, 2002, 02:43 PM
What will end movie rentals for me is when my cable/HD service gets HD pay per view. I don't understand why there isn't at least one HD pay per view channel now.

big
Nov 11, 2002, 03:09 PM
HD? you mean hard drive?

barkmonster
Nov 11, 2002, 03:28 PM
HD = High Definition.

A lot better than the highly compressed (in my opinion) digital cable we have now, with HD resolution the compression wouldn't be as obvious because of the far higher resolution.

If it wasn't for the expensive hardware needed to actually watch HD TV, it'd be really glad when it comes out properly over here.

I don't know too much about it to be honest, I just think anything that's better than what we've got now has got to be good.

ejb190
Nov 11, 2002, 04:40 PM
And all I want is a video rental store on my side of town....

Anyway, how large of a TV do you need to have to start seeing the breakdown in resolution? I have a 13" TV (with a surround sound system, but that's another story...).

big
Nov 11, 2002, 05:10 PM
I love how Movie Gallery is being sued for improper practices. I know I have been abused by the places, if you are one day late, or even 30 mins late returning a video, they say "your charged a whole other week. but good news-you get to keep it a whole other week"

as if that's what I want, to re-watch some lame ass movie to poor of quality to actually have been seen in the theatres.

they are crooks, and should be waiving the skull & cross bones flag! I quite doing business with all of 'em, after I returned a game I rented for my son, I handed it to a manager and he never scanned it back in. apparently they have no qualms charging you $70 for a $40 game.

and then send you letters saying you havn't returned the game, and then send it to a collection agency who calls you every 2 days, when it's the manager who frekin' took it home.

and then you have those bastards who close early, and charge you a whole week because you did not get the rental back to them on time because you did not read their mind, to know that they were going to close an hour early. I hate movie rental places.

and to top it off, when you do sign up for one, they want your mothers maiden name, your social etc etc etc... PEOPLE, your Social Security number is for NO ONES use, not credit cards, not banks, no one! Radio shack is now asking for home addresses and telephone numbers etc etc that's wrong too, spend an extra 5 mins in line telling 'em why they do not need that info, when all you want is a freakin' 50 cent copper wire

wdlove
Nov 12, 2002, 02:17 PM
Anyone tried downloading a full length movie from the Web? According to a news report I saw last night they currently have 172 available for download. With DSL it will take ~2 - 4 hours to download, will need patience. They talked about the small screen view. The 23" Apple LCD Display would make it a great experience. :)

big
Nov 12, 2002, 02:19 PM
who is "they" in "they currently have..."

Chisholm
Nov 13, 2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by big
I love how Movie Gallery is being sued for improper practices. I know I have been abused by the places, if you are one day late, or even 30 mins late returning a video, they say "your charged a whole other week. but good news-you get to keep it a whole other week"

as if that's what I want, to re-watch some lame ass movie to poor of quality to actually have been seen in the theatres.

they are crooks, and should be waiving the skull & cross bones flag! I quite doing business with all of 'em, after I returned a game I rented for my son, I handed it to a manager and he never scanned it back in. apparently they have no qualms charging you $70 for a $40 game.

and then send you letters saying you havn't returned the game, and then send it to a collection agency who calls you every 2 days, when it's the manager who frekin' took it home.

and then you have those bastards who close early, and charge you a whole week because you did not get the rental back to them on time because you did not read their mind, to know that they were going to close an hour early. I hate movie rental places.

and to top it off, when you do sign up for one, they want your mothers maiden name, your social etc etc etc... PEOPLE, your Social Security number is for NO ONES use, not credit cards, not banks, no one! Radio shack is now asking for home addresses and telephone numbers etc etc that's wrong too, spend an extra 5 mins in line telling 'em why they do not need that info, when all you want is a freakin' 50 cent copper wire

I've been a Netflix.com member for over 2 years now and love it! We rent 9-12 DVDs a month for $19.95 and NOT ONE late charge! There has been one disk that never arrived, we reported it lost and all they asked was "do you want us to send another copy?"

Progressive scan DVD player on a 43" HD tv is quite beautiful. I did buy a third LNB for sat to pick up HD signals for HBO on DirecTV, but our ultimate tv boxes don't have component outputs so it'll be through s video.:(

My wife and I are video junkies I guess. Friggin DirectTV bill is over $120 a month.

cheers!

big
Nov 13, 2002, 08:42 PM
I tried netflix free 3 month thing, but i got billed anyways. Its all about the money, so now I just go to the theatres, or buy old cheap dvd's, like
Ben Hur-$3.00, no one understands the old movies worth...but its my gain

Mr. Anderson
Nov 13, 2002, 10:26 PM
I've got a friend who does netflix - but I'm not that much of a renter, just a couple a month. Now with the delivery, well, that might go up a bit. Still haven't used it, but its just a matter of time.

D

wdlove
Nov 23, 2002, 04:14 PM
We have quit a DVD collection, so haven't rented >1 year.

big
Nov 23, 2002, 05:07 PM
I would love to buy a DVD player, though until it is completely writable, its a no go for me. Now that those are out, I just have to wait till they cost like $100. then I'll chunk ye 'ole VCR.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 23, 2002, 05:18 PM
My wife just bought a Sony DVD player for her mother for Xmas at sonystyle.com or something - 1 shipping and the thing cost $135 - damn nice price. And I'd say its worth it - just to see the extras sometimes in the DVDs can make an ok movie something much better.

D