$2,221.95

RMBP:
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage
Apple USB SuperDrive
Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
$2,287

It's narrowed down between these two... I could consider taking the MBA from 512 flash down to 256 flash for a little $ savings, but otherwise it looks like they're VERY close in price (w/o applecare).

What do you guys think?

>I will be running virtual Windows 7 with parallels
>MS Word/PPT/Excel
>Music/Videos (Streamed/Itunes/DVD)
>Diablo III (Not a hardcore gamer)
>Possibly eventually minor video editing
> Play movies on my tv through HDMI (hence external HDMI adapter for MBA)
>I'm in college and bring my laptop around with me
>I <3 technology

Any and all input/questions would be great!

Djlild7hina
Aug 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
Considering your two setups are pretty much the same price I would go with the rMBP :) Unless you are carrying around a lot of textbooks with your mac then I see no reason to go with the MBA + since you love technology I doubt that you can resist that retina screen. Have you seen the retina yet? Maybe checking them both out in person will change your mind.

GBlansten
Aug 1, 2012, 11:55 AM
See my answer in your duplicate thread.

MacRunner68
Aug 1, 2012, 12:59 PM
See my answer in your duplicate thread.

You haven't posted an answer in either thread... Thanks for being rude :)

Barna Biro
Aug 1, 2012, 01:05 PM
It depends on what you're looking to do in Windows 7... in case it's nothing extreme and you will be running only one VM at a time and not 5, then the MBA should be more than enough for your needs ( not sure you need the 512GB SSD... rather stick to the 256GB if money is a concern ). Not sure how well it will run D3 though ( for sure the rMBP runs it waaaay better due to the dedicated GPU ), but it will run it.

All the other points the MBA can surely handle...
Since you're at Uni, you might appreciate the lighter and smaller form of the MBA too.

ipodlover77
Aug 1, 2012, 01:19 PM
I hate to be rude but this is actually becoming outrageous.

There are 5 or 6 other threads on the FIRST PAGE asking "air or retina."

I understand everybody has different needs and are individuals but some of the advice in the threads are universal.

snow blind
Aug 1, 2012, 01:20 PM
I hate to be rude but this is actually becoming outrageous.

There are 5 or 6 other threads on the FIRST PAGE asking "air or retina."

I understand everybody has different needs and are individuals but some of the advice in the threads are universal. IMHO, you don't need the retina. Period. Very few "need" it. The air will handle all your requirements and then some.

Barna Biro
Aug 1, 2012, 01:22 PM
You don't need the retina. Period.

With that logic, why would he "need" a Mac? Of course he doesn't need a retina, no one really "needs" one ( since everyone was just fine without retina long before it became an option a few months ago ). No one "needs" a MBA air either... What people "need" and "want / like / can afford" are often 2 completely different worlds.

snow blind
Aug 1, 2012, 01:31 PM
With that logic, why would he "need" a Mac? Of course he doesn't need a retina, no one really "needs" one ( since everyone was just fine without retina long before it became an option a few months ago ). No one "needs" a MBA air either... What people "need" and "want / like / can afford" are often 2 completely different worlds.

Correct. My point exactly. IMHO prefaces my comment and the use of quotation marks implies what you just typed.

What fun is it to come out and tell someone... someone who bombards us with the same "gimme your opinion" threads... exactly, verbatim what you mean?

MacRunner68
Aug 1, 2012, 09:32 PM
I never said "need" hahaha, I'm just asking your opinions, whether its worth ordering the rMBP and waiting the 2+ weeks, or ordering the MBA and picking it up in store tomorrow

uniforms
Aug 1, 2012, 10:16 PM
I would go with rMBP, the screen is AMAZING! I can't go back to my air. I just pray they come out with 13" rMBP!

kthomp
Aug 1, 2012, 10:50 PM
I went with the MBA and I love it (particularly the weight and portability). But I'm not looking for any gaming, which may be questionable under the MBA.

Having said that, the $$ I saved not buying the rMBP this year may go toward rMBP 2.0 next year. It is one helluva nice screen.

austinguy23
Aug 5, 2012, 08:38 AM
You love tech and will occasionally edit video and play games? Get the Retina, of course.

rockyroad55
Aug 5, 2012, 09:49 AM
You haven't posted an answer in either thread... Thanks for being rude :)

And you should have just used the other thread instead of padding the forums with another comparison post.